Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My coach was broken into and the glass got down in the door lock assembly just like yours did. The glass shop had just put in the temporary entry door plastic window when the failure occurred. I'm here to tell you that plastic window was a bugger to remove. Took the lock apart and cleaned out the glass fragments. Works fine now.
I keep a set of spare keys duct taped to the frame in all my vehicles. Locked myself out 40 years ago and learned my lesson.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjshively View Post
I am locked out of my coach. It is the front door handle lock not the deadbolt that is the problem. I have been leaving the window over the couch unlocked just in case this problem ever happened. Well it happened and that window is locked. I am on the outside looking in. The key gets a most definite click when turning it left to lock but when turning it right no click but it does move the handle a little but it does not open. I have beat on it with a rubber mallet, I have leaned hard on the door while trying to turn the key, and I have sprayed every where I can spray with WD-40 - no luck.
I'm wondering if I can drill a hole somewhere and spray WD-40 into a spot that might help but I don't have a schematic of the lock. PTL Engineering dose not answer their phone and they don’t call back – I’m still trying. I’m thinking that I might have to drill the whole lock handle assembly out and order a new one. If someone could help me out it would be great. I'm not against drilling but I don't know where to drill. Any door drawing showing where the lock goes into will help with where to drill and cut. Any suggestions would be appreciated (even the comical ones). Just e-mail me or call at 513-282-8946.

Thanks
TJ Shively

Been there, done that. For some ideas, see Locked out of front door

Most of us who experience this with a PTL door simply "get lucky" eventually from wiggling and cajoling and get in the coach -- then we fix the problem with the latch. If that doesn't happen, do you by chance have one of those "fogged" windows we all seem to get? If so, you might kill 2 birds with 1 stone -- literally. Break in throught the fogged window and get the door situation addressed. Then replace the fogged window, which was probably on the the "to do" list anyway. A less expensive way, courtesy of EM, would be to consider breaking in through the skylight of the shower. That skylight should be reasonably inexpensive to replace (but you better have a way of protecting versus elements while you wait for the part/repair).

I feel your pain. BTW, after getting back in as described in the link above, we did get the latch properly adjusted and have had no problems ever since (2 years). Knock on my (wooden) head.

Old 12-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I have one of those realtor key lock boxes (like the ones they hang on doorknobs with a combination lock) attached to the frame in my LP gas compartment. In it is a spare basement, door, and ignition key. This wouldn't have helped in the OP's situation, but getting locked out for losing keys is not a concern.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #18

So--when did you notice the plastic slide door was against the lock handle? What did I learn today?--Both the driver and the spouse should carry keys, hidding a key is ok, leaving a window unlocked is better, some dead-bolts stick, some locks in some "TTs" are a problem and the number one thing is still, --wait for it--if you own an older MH with a PTL door, you need to disassemble the lock and check/adjust the linkage [notwithstanding the plastic door slide getting in the way]...
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
tshively and this forum rock! My outside handle was always a hard pull but it finally refused to release the latch. All windows locked so I drilled a 1/16" hole as described and with the bent wire opened the driver's window latch. Climbing in was the hardest part. Turned out I had to adjust the link (inside the door) from the outside handle so it released the latch. The door opens easier than ever. This is a good time to check the link to the inside latch and the cable to the door hold-open. Now I can release the hold-open from outside or inside on the first pull.
Rick J Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #20

Wife left the other day w/the coach locked, she had the keys & I wanted to do a quick project.
Tried this, worked like a charm.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
EM.....whats the deal with the pick set? Do you have that one? Does it come with detailed instructions? Seems like something like that is like buying a piano.....does you no good unless you spend years learning how to use it.

Jeff
Old 11-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #22

After hauling across town to a rental, and arriving w/out the keys (Doh!!!), I bought a book off Amazon, studied it, got the overloaded version of the recommended tool kit to carry at all times. Took several hours practice after reading the book on a plane trip. There are several types of locks I have yet to master, and an occasional key pattern on a cheaper lock takes a while to crack. The moho was disappointingly easy. Now the locked windows don't worry me. The outfit that sells the kits has a "book" that comes free w/a large order, and from it you'll learn pretty much nothing. Need a real reference if you want to learn the craft.

Here's a hint: don't carry the kit in the moho, and still keep a hide-a-key.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #23

I just leave the passenger window unlocked in case this happens to me. I do have 2 sets of keys though and one is kept on my car key ring. Luckily my coach is old enough that no one would want to steal it.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:36 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike
After hauling across town to a rental, and arriving w/out the keys (Doh!!!), I bought a book off Amazon, studied it, got the overloaded version of the recommended tool kit to carry at all times. Took several hours practice after reading the book on a plane trip. There are several types of locks I have yet to master, and an occasional key pattern on a cheaper lock takes a while to crack. The moho was disappointingly easy. Now the locked windows don't worry me. The outfit that sells the kits has a "book" that comes free w/a large order, and from it you'll learn pretty much nothing. Need a real reference if you want to learn the craft.

Here's a hint: don't carry the kit in the moho, and still keep a hide-a-key.
But, can you pick the Schlage dead bolt on the entrance door?

In teenage years I worked for a locksmith. Kwiksets were easy but I always had trouble with a Schlage. Our basement door locks....piece of cake.

They are ( at least they used to be) considered a burglary tool:-(
Old 11-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My dad - may he rest in peace - was a master at locks (job related but not a locksmith). As a kid he taught me how to change the combination on Sargent and Greenleaf industrial locks. I could forget the combination and when I got up the next morning there it sat - open with a new combination. He could pick anything with pins or tumblers. Probably missed his calling. He always said "Locks keep honest people honest."

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote