Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Locked out -- help !!!

I am locked out of my coach. It is the front door handle lock not the deadbolt that is the problem. I have been leaving the window over the couch unlocked just in case this problem ever happened. Well it happened and that window is locked. I am on the outside looking in. The key gets a most definite click when turning it left to lock but when turning it right no click but it does move the handle a little but it does not open. I have beat on it with a rubber mallet, I have leaned hard on the door while trying to turn the key, and I have sprayed every where I can spray with WD-40 - no luck.
I'm wondering if I can drill a hole somewhere and spray WD-40 into a spot that might help but I don't have a schematic of the lock. PTL Engineering dose not answer their phone and they donít call back Ė Iím still trying. Iím thinking that I might have to drill the whole lock handle assembly out and order a new one. If someone could help me out it would be great. I'm not against drilling but I don't know where to drill. Any door drawing showing where the lock goes into will help with where to drill and cut. Any suggestions would be appreciated (even the comical ones). Just e-mail me or call at 513-282-8946.

Thanks
TJ Shively

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2011, 01:09 PM   #2

Before you drill, call a locksmith. Also, use silicone spray instead of WD-40.

Good luck.

Don

Old 11-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can you lift or pry up on your door frame?
Just wondering if there is a twist that is binding your latch?
Old 11-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #4

Push in as u turn to unlock the door. It may be in a bind.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:55 PM   #5

This link may help.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...dth-fTBjHLM61w
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
Before you drill, call a locksmith. Also, use silicone spray instead of WD-40.

Good luck.

Don
Best advice that has been provided so far... call a locksmith. A good locksmith will get past that door lock in less than 60 seconds.

I purchased my used coach 4 years ago. It has a safe under the bed, but the previous owner had no key. I drove the MH over to a reputable locksmith who got into the safe in less than 30 seconds. Your door lock, I'm sure, is no more sophisticated than the lock on my safe.

The good thing about using a locksmith is they typically don't tear things up in the process of getting the lock open.

Good Luck!

BB
Old 11-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #7

Do you have a screen door that has a plexiglass piece that slides horizontally that may have slid part way by accident, preventing the handle from functioning? That's what happened to us when we were "locked out". The lock was just fine, and we couldn't see that plexiglass piece had been pushed ever so slightly (we must have hooked it on exiting the coach) because it was dark. Had it been daylight, we would have been able to see the issue.

All our windows were locked tight, and we had to break one to get in. No locksmith could solve our dilemma. But the locksmith had a tool tha aided us in breaking a window!

Apparently this happens occasionally with a screen door like ours. Newer coaches have a different handle design to prevent this issue. Just thought I'd mention this--it was a big learning experience for us. Best of luck to you!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #8

You didnt mention what year yr Alpine is but assuming its an older model [like our 03], the front handle and lock get out of adjustment and even though the key turns the lock, the lock isnt releasing the handle. "Bumping and wiggling the lock may get it this time but if all fails, a locksmith may know a way around--problem is its not the lock/tumblers, its the linkage between the lock and the handle that is out of adjustment.
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I have heard rumors of the sliding panel preventing unlocking the door when locked at the latch. That is why we always use the deadbolt.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #10

I left my wife in the TT while she was in the shower. I locked the door with the dead bolt from the outside, and went into the clubhouse to help with breakfast. I got a phone call (thank goodness I accidently left my sell in my pocket) from my wife, stating she could not get out of the trailer. the dead bolt would not unlatch from the inside. I went over and unlocked it with the key from the outside, and had her lock me in as I did her. I too could not make the red handle work. Some how it was disengaged from the unlocking mechanism. I discuss this problem with the other TT owners, and two others had the same problem. They just lock the door with the top lock, and not the dead bolt when the TT is occupied. FYI we have a 2010 coachman Jimm Zi/
Old 11-30-2011, 09:24 PM   #11

Winnebago has a recall on TriMark deadbolt locks, FYI.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #12

My advice on the PTL doors used on Alpines is to do a lockset/handle maintenance operation to adjust everything until every function works easily. Many owners have had an experience where the door won't function or functions only w/heavy effort (and old hands don't comply like they used to). If you never readjust the lock setup, it will eventually become a strain or possible yield to TJ's solution. Wish I had more magic than Preventative Maintenance.

Funny story- drove coach about 450 miles into Baja; stopped at a new restaurante we wanted to try. After dinner, watching a beautiful sunset, reached for the keys and, um, er, uh, duh, welleruh, hmmm, @#$%^&$@!! Started to call WRV (still in biz those days) for "support" of whatever kind (maybe emotional? perhaps psychiatric?) they could offer, then checked windows and found one unlocked. Wife is now pretty good about insisting I not only produce the key, but also demonstrate its correct usage before we walk away from the rig.
Doesn't she trust me?
Old 12-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the lock is a Tri-Mark.. and the handle moves but will not open the door, I know what is wrong.. Hopefully you can find an open window,, But you are going to have to depress the spring bolt without using the handles (Actually the handles won't make a bit of difference, the bolt is broken) When you get it apart if you can find a machinist to carve a new bolt out of steel instead of the 'Stuff' that tri-mark uses it will outlast you.

I was able to work a "pick" up into the door frame and depress the bolt and open the door... (This was the kind of pick sold for removing seals on drive shafts, called a "Rear Seal pick" the one I used was a right angle)

This is not the same as lock picking, Closer to carding. I would recommend having a professional do it.. but tell him he may have to "Card" the lock.. he should know what that is.

Thankfully I have very good "B&E" training..... Retired police dispatcher.. Got the police course in spotting B&E and, well, turns out it's a good one.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:59 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Here is the Answer

Like someone else, the plastic slider got stuck under the handle and the lock just would not operate. All the windows were locked so this is what I did. I drilled a 3/32" hole in the driver's window frame 5/16" from the glass and about 3/4" under the latch. I inserted a wire and bent it as I pushed it in. When it got to the bottom of the latch it opened it and I just skide the window open, climbed in and opened the door.
I now have a very small hole and a wire in my Toad and one in the lower bay if this ever happens again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drill Location.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	16025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Lock.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	16026  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire in Window.jpg