Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #1

Long term storage

well...i finally got my alpine at the end of last year.

this year...life has brought a pretty good opportunity i can't pass up. I'm going to spend 2-3 years in india. The only thing i'm not selling is the race car, trailer and the alpine.

So the question...long term storage. anybody have any suggestions. Likely i'll be able to leave it at my house plugged in. but any other tips?
a johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If you're leaving for 2-3 years, I'd think of selling it. When you get back it will be 3 years older and have all the issues of not moving for that period of time. New tires, lots of rubber hoses and belts, etc. Sell it and look for another RV when you return.
By leaving it plugged in, I guess you plan to leave the batteries in it? Why? Unless you have a sophisticated charger, you almost for sure will not do them any good leaving them on charge for that period of time. If you must leave it unattended, you should find indoor storage, put the frame on blocks with tires off the ground, and be prepared for lots of repairs and renewing of all parts that sit and degrade over that period of time.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:07 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I would suggest you hire someone or business to regularly check fluid levels including batteries, run the Generator under a load for two hours, keep the fuel topped off etc.

If your not going to do that I would do what BFlinn181 stated. But I would not plug the coach in and I would remove the batteries. If you leave it plugged in and the batteries go dry and they will in less than a year it could cause a lot of damage to the electrical components.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:19 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
If you are going to store it for 2-3 years, you will have to acknowledge those things mentioned above, components age/rot from non use, tires, hoses, etc. the batteries should be removed (definitely not left plugged in, if they are wet cells they will be dry and ruined when you get back), water drained, tanks cleaned REALLY well. You also need to consider critters like mice, ants and squirrels to name a few getting into the coach, plus ultra violet aging of the exterior since you will not be able to keep up the finish. As mentioned above you might want to seriously consider selling, that coach will be 2+ years older and possibly many components dry rotted.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #5

i guess it makes more sense to take it down to camping world and put it on the consignment lot.

thanks for the input guys
a johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage