Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Looking at 2001 40 W/A

Looking at a 2001 40 foot Alpine coach, any specific areas of concern? I know what the general Coach inspection is, just looking for your expertise on the Alpine. It has a 350 Cummins. Thanks Off Course

Off Course is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome to the IRV2 Form.

The 2001 Alpine’s were fairly trouble free at least mine is. The Cummins ISC 350 has been very reliable and the only problem I had was a cracked exhaust manifold. Other than that make sure everything works on your walk through. The rear bedroom slide is electric on the 2001. The Main Slide and Gen Slide are HWH. If you go to the Alpine Coach Association web site you can down load the 2001 Sales Brochure and the Peak Chassis Brochures. You can review them and get an idea about the options which were offered and a good look at the peak chassis.

The major items I would look at or service if no records are available is the Brake Fluid which should be changed at least every three years and look at the dates on the tires, and make sure the Refrigerator operates properly. I would also service the engine including coolant, transmission and generator. If you look at the last five digits of the VIN you may be able to find out who the previous owner was and get more info from them.

If you purchase I hope you attend the Alpine Coach Rallies put on by the Alpine Coach Association and the regional Alpine Coach Clubs.

Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
The 350 may not give you the performance you will need for that 40 ft Alpine. The 400 is your best bet.
My opinion only
2002 ALPINE 38.5ft 400ISL
Joe & Micki Darling
jdarling10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Alpine Owners Club
I found that the 350 does just fine with a 38 ft., Alpine. I am a little slower going up hills but it always gets me there even when I was pulling my ¾ ton Suburban which weighed 7200 lbs. Now I pull a 6500 lb. Yukon, just fine. I found I can keep up with the 400hp Alpines on the flat and going downhill. I can out pull the 330hp Alpines just fine.

One thing I found when caravan with friends who ever is first to the top slows downs until we all catch up, nobody left behind. So it does not matter who has the most horse power we always get there.
Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
Alpine Owners Club
I don't know enough about that year to be conversant, however, the big expensive thing aside from the chassis, is the refer, make sure the recalls have been performed, and to test it, park with the sun shining on that side, and turn it as cold as it will go to see how cold it gets, the freezer should be -10F and the refer part should be +32F (maybe lower if it in good shape). Check the operation on both modes, i.e., 120V AC, and propane operation, let it run for 24 hours in both modes, yeah this will take a while, but the replacement is somewhere between 1600-2400 dollars, don't think any dealer will warranty it after 30 days, so knowing now if it works good is the key. Check the water plumbing to the ice maker or water in the door if equipped, to ensure no leaks and proper operation, 60% of refer calls are for those items. Write down the S/N and Model Numbers, with Date of Manufacturer, and go to domestic's web site, and check what recalls are required and then you can see if they have been done, if not, get the present owner to have them done.

There also may be a fuel rail recall on the 350, so get the S/N and call Cummins, they will have it in the computer and can tell you if they have been done or not, or if any are outstanding. Make sure you get a transmission service, and see if the unit can use the transynd fluid when it's changed, longer change intervals and then its only filters every 25K miles I think. How many hours on the genset? Know that, and have service performed to include a output voltage/amperage check, just to be safe. Don't forget to use genset two hours a month to keep it working properly.

Date codes on the tires, if over 5 years, either get the owner to purchase new ones, or use that as a 10K discount option.

Once you get it, check every ground to make sure it's tight and not corroded, learn all the different places WRV placed fuse's, if equipped, check transfer switch wiring, generator to house connections, and all the 120VAC breaker connections.

Read this forum for three years back to front, all postings, you will learn a whole bunch of stuff you don't know, but think you do. Alpines are a different breed of cat, from any other coach on the market period.

If there are manuals on equipment, read those, to familiarize yourself with how things work. Hope things work out for you.

I can say with assurance, the 400 ISL is top notch. W/O Toad, it goes almost like a Porsche, with the toad, well as fast as I need to go. Since the new radiator, it also runs a whole lot cooler and more efficient it seems to me. This fall, however, I expect to hit some major hills and that will be the test.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:01 PM   #6
Alpine Owners Club
Old tires = 10K?
Do 2001 ISC's have a fuel rail?

Otherwise, I agree. If you have the time, put the vehicle on jacks and let it sit awhile, to see if any leak down. Make sure none of the windows are fogged. Unplug from shore power, run the microwave for several minutes (with a quart of water inside) to see what shape the house batteries are in. Then start the generator, run for at least half an hour, see whether the batteries recharge properly. Go on the roof, look for cracked caulking. Check for leaks around the vents and shower skylight. I could go on ...

Franklin & Dessa
2001 Alpine 34 FDDS
Tow a 2014 CR-V
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote