RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #1

Looking for a used motorhome

I just sold my Dutch Star a few months back. I am curious how Alpine compares to Dutch Star, Travel Supreme, and Country Coach, in quality, reliability, handling, and smooth ride?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #2

You can expect a one sided discussion here.

I’ll start with this. One of our members delivered many brands of coaches for years. He put in 800K miles. The more he did this the less he wanted to deliver anything other than an Alpine. He owns an Alpine.

Quality? I’d give a slight advantage to CC. They offered more features earlier on than Alpine. More stuff doesn’t mean better, sometimes it means more repairs, but buyers frequently want more stuff. CC also offer tag axles on coaches as short as 36’, maybe less, and built coaches up to 45’. The Alpine range is 34’-40’. The 40’ Alpine with 4 slides has very little CCC.

Reliability? Previous owner history and maintenance records will be a factor. Assuming you’re looking at 10+ year old coaches, any component could fail from here on out.

Ride and handling? See above.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
You can expect a one sided discussion here.

I’ll start with this. One of our members delivered many brands of coaches for years. He put in 800K miles. The more he did this the less he wanted to deliver anything other than an Alpine. He owns an Alpine.

Quality? I’d give a slight advantage to CC. They offered more features earlier on than Alpine. More stuff doesn’t mean better, sometimes it means more repairs, but buyers frequently want more stuff. CC also offer tag axles on coaches as short as 36’, maybe less, and built coaches up to 45’. The Alpine range is 34’-40’. The 40’ Alpine with 4 slides has very little CCC.

Reliability? Previous owner history and maintenance records will be a factor. Assuming you’re looking at 10+ year old coaches, any component could fail from here on out.

Ride and handling? See above.

I started to respond, a couple of times, but I don't have experience with many other brands so the above post lets me feel more comfortable.

A major factor in your comparison with other coaches, outside of handling and ride, is that Alpine only offered one model, the Limited (yes, with options), until, I believe, 2006, whereas all the others on your list offered various models and levels of features. My point is, you need to compare like-to-like, as close as possible.

To keep this short, IMO you should put Alpine in with all the others as equals in build quality, similar in materials quality, and ahead in ride and handling, if comparing same size coaches and non-tag axle. I think Alpine is not mentioned as often as the others simply because there is no manufacturer support anymore, even by another company that bought the name.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:43 PM   #4

WRV/Alpine did make the Avalanche which should be avoided.

The 38 version has a very different floor plan from all other sizes. Kitchen and dining area are flipped. 34 & 36 versions offered only queen beds and engine access from above. There are mid-door entry options in 36 and 40 versions as well as 2, 3 & 4 slide options.

The Apex was essentially the same coach with more features.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
WRV/Alpine did make the Avalanche which should be avoided.

The 38 version has a very different floor plan from all other sizes. Kitchen and dining area are flipped. 34 & 36 versions offered only queen beds and engine access from above. There are mid-door entry options in 36 and 40 versions as well as 2, 3 & 4 slide options.

The Apex was essentially the same coach with more features.
He means The Apex was essentially the same coach as the regular Alpine Coach line, not the Avalanche line I'm sure.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet and Todd View Post
He means The Apex was essentially the same coach as the regular Alpine Coach line, not the Avalanche line I'm sure.
That is correct. My plan was to separate the two sentences with a complete paragraph to avoid confusion. I realize now that it could have been more clearly worded. Thanks for the clarification.

The Avalanche was only offered in 40’ and has a rear radiator.
Old 04-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When looking at the total picture - it is really tough to beat an Alpine, Country Coach and even Foretravel. All were exceptional built coaches. Western RV was so confident that their coaches came with a 3 yr warranty - even now, nobody does that. It is going to come down to floor plan, amenities and price. Assume an older coach will probably need upgrades such as electronics and lights. Normally, these are DIY projects. In our searching we found that CC tended to be overpriced. They seem to have a cult following. Foretravel are excellent, but again, we found them way over priced. Such things as HWH systems were standard on Alpine - but not necessarily on other coaches. Probably one of the best things Alpines have is their Peak Chassis. It has 4 wheel Anti-lock Disc brakes. IMHO, the only thing we are not real crazy about is the full hydraulic brake systems as opposed to "air over hydraulic". They definitely will stop the coach - just has a different feel. As others have said, for the money, it is hard to find a better coach.
Apex - 40 FDQS #75547
bobkatgifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:14 PM   #8

Thanks for the input! I think I will take a look at a 2006 Alpine tomorrow. Model: 38 FD Stock Number: HRV5555 . It has a 400 Cummins, 87000 miles, and some nice upgrades. The dealer is asking about 75K for it. I am a little concerned because of the age, and I know that things could go wrong. But I will take a look anyway.

Do any you you have one like this?

https://hickmanrv.com/wp-content/upl...oach-38-FD.pdf
Old 04-21-2019, 03:26 PM   #9

I just realized that this one only has one slide up front. We want two up front for our large family, grandkids, etc. So I will keep on looking at Alpines, Country Coach, and a few more Dutch Stars.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #10

That could be a great coach. I would encourage you to have a professional inspection performed prior to making an offer.

The newer inverter is a plus.
The 2013 tires are a negative. The fronts should be replaced soon, the rears could maybe go another year or two. Expect 6 tires to cost about $3K.
Battery age and condition should be checked.

Ours does not have Hydro-Hot. Many swear by it, some swear at it. It can be problematic, repairs can be expensive and approved service centers may not be nearby.

Some other improvements for that model may include the steering bracket upgrade and the master cylinder upgrade. Of the two, I would consider the steering bracket more important. Most likely the shocks have been replaced and it is riding on Koni 88s. They may still be in good condition. The Koni lifetime warranty does not apply to a new owner.

The intent is not to scare you away but to make you aware of specific things to look for. None of us want to see you buy a coach that needs a large cash infusion right off the bat. The price seems reasonable if everything is in proper working order.

There is an owner registry that gets updated periodically. It can be found in the sticky thread at the top of our home page. Perhaps some previous owner info is available. I also like to see maintenance records on a used coach. Frequently they are not available when purchasing from a dealer.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:56 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2006 40ft quad slide Apex
Apex - 40 FDQS #75547
bobkatgifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
I just realized that this one only has one slide up front. We want two up front for our large family, grandkids, etc. So I will keep on looking at Alpines, Country Coach, and a few more Dutch Stars.
Alpine has 2 options with 2 front slides, both are front door entry. The 36 triple slide, which is actually 37 and has a queen bed. And the 40 quad slide with a king bed. I believe the living area is the same size in both coaches, the extra 3 feet contains the rear closet and a bit more room around the bed. The 40 quad is the heaviest coach WRV made and will thus have the least amount of CCC.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:09 PM   #13

Confused

I see two Alpines listed for sale with a great gap in price.

2005 Alpine 40 Fd, 3 slides, new tile and electronics, asking NADA price of $92,999.It has 83k on the engine.

2005 Alpine FDQS, 4 slides, 24,582 miles. Asking NADA price of $49,900.
Both are 40 footers. Why the large gap in price?
Old 04-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #14

The 3 slide is overpriced. It also has only one front slide which does not meet your desired options.

The 4 slide may be underpriced. It could have issues. Or it may be a great deal.

Tags
motorhome