Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #1

Looking for accessory instruments

I'd like to have a compass, inside/outside thermometer, and an altimeter up in the cockpit. Preferrably black on white, not miniature, and really legible. I currently have a wireless compass/thermometer that turns out to be a piece of Junk. Extremely hard to read with gray on a yellowish background.

Any recommendations???? Any guage mounting suggestions??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #2

Rick,

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but my Garmin GPS has a screen that shows location coordinates and the altitude, and a compass, although not much resolution. (N, S, E, W, NE, etc.) For inside/outside temperature I bought a wall mounted atomic clock/indoor/outdoor thermometer from Walmart for about 20 bucks. I mounted the outside sender unit in the propane compartment. Close enough for what I want to see, unless I am running the generator, with the exhaust pipe nearby.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Check out Westberg Instruments HERE. If by some chance you don't find what you want, give 'em a call. They'll do custom builds - I have their products in my truck.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:39 PM   #4

You might want to include Silverleaf Electroics on your list as a possible mfg for the item you want. They have a accessory weather station that includes outside air temperature, compass, humidity, altitude, barometric pressure, heat index. This is an accessory for their engine monitoring VMS displays.
BTF

http://www.silverleafelectronics.com/?q=node/18
bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:39 AM   #5

Gauges & mounting positions

Rick, take a look at some of the better truck sites on the net. They have mounting arrangements that attach to your corner windshield uprights for a variety of different gauges. Might be an answer to your mounting question. As far as gauges go you can find quite a selection in the after market car stores or even some of the auto speed shops.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #6

How would one retrofit a simple Silverleaf unit like to 240CL model. Is it a simple (ha-ha!) plug and play with existing under-dash wiring, or does it require a major electrical sender and wiring installation best left to electrical experts like e-mike?
Old 06-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #7

Silverleaf Weather Station Accessory

The VMS 240 CL engine monitor may be a DIY, as there should be a connector under the dash to plug into. Silverleaf has a software version that can be installed on a laptop and the connection for engine monitoring is under the dash. If I had a do over, it would be the laptop version (a lot cheaper) but it came out a year after I had the VMS 440 CL installed. The weather station accessory will be more involved, with figuring out location for the temperature, pressure & humidity sensors & installing wiring for same. The compass sensor will be trial & error to find a sweet spot that will not interfere with accuracy. I really like the VMS 440 CL but am not impressed with the weather station compass or humidity accuracy. Neither has worked satisfactory since installation but maybe they have improved the package in last 4 yrs. The temperature & pressure sensors work o.k. I calibrate the VMS 440 CL compass to the Delorme Street Atlas compass and can also check altitude on the Delorme display. I do watch temperature & altitude when cruising through the mountains in cooler weather.
BTF
05 40FDQS
Old 06-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well... First there are companies that make those. Many brands

Compass. I have a Flux Gate type (they are like 20 bucks now days) that I can use but as someoen else said the Garmin is way more accurate

Inside/Outside I have assorted.. I got a wireless at Meijer's (A department store) LaCross Tech as I recall.. I have had up to 3 in the rig at one time but alas

1: Lost my original LaCross sender (I mean LOST it) my fault.
2: Smashed my Radio Shack Sender (That one worked nice)
3: The SHARPER Image unit is still where I attached it

I replaced the Lacross. I won't replace the R.S. The senders are currently tied to the propane tank (not actually to the tank) as it's insulated from the sun but open to air. so long as I"m not using the generator that is about the most honest spot on the rig

The original R.S. sender was behind the front grill by the way
Old 06-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #9

Bigfish

Do you have Silverleaf sensors or can these be off the shelf items to make the weather station function? Where did the sensors get located? Do they plug into the TM102, using the input and output connectors?

Ed
Old 06-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed & Diane View Post
Bigfish

Do you have Silverleaf sensors or can these be off the shelf items to make the weather station function? Where did the sensors get located? Do they plug into the TM102, using the input and output connectors?

Ed
Ed,
In my case the weather station sensors were supplied by Silverleaf and wired/progammed into the VMS 440 CL. Compass sensor was installed on floor out of sight behind the center console. The temp/pressure/humidity sensors were installed on PS of generator slide close to headlight. Humidity sensor failed first time it got wet in a driving rainstorm.
Don't know if it would be plug & play with the TM102, a discussion w/Silverleaf may provide the information you need.
BTF
05 40FDQS
Old 06-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Rick, try here for a nice dash mounted compass.

http://www.atcomp.com/php/product.ph...t=6&prod_id=14

This compass is used in Winnebago Coaches. Mine works great.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #12

Sammie- It looks pretty interesting. Is it easy to see from driver's seat (display contrast)? Says 9v- Is it battery operated?, or do you have to hard wire 12V? Where would one mount the remote compass sensor, and how is it calibrated? Any idea of $ ?

Thanks
Old 06-11-2009, 03:12 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post
Rick, try here for a nice dash mounted compass.

http://www.atcomp.com/php/product.ph...t=6&prod_id=14

This compass is used in Winnebago Coaches. Mine works great.

Sammie
I had one in my Suncruiser, but didn't get one in my new Meridian. I miss it. Any idea where I can buy this?
Old 06-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
For information on this Compass/Thermometer call Lichtsinn Motors parts department. The part number is #136119-01-000. They are a Winnebago dealer and will ship it the next day. Here is their website.

http://www.lichtsinn.com/

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote