Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:07 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Looking for Battery Fill System Valves

I broke one of my Battery Filling System caps or valves today. The current manufacturers design is not the same as our twist in valves. Does anyone have any of these they would to sell ?

Here is the link to the manufacturer so you can see what I mean;

Battery Filling Systems - Watering systems for battery maintenance

Thanks

NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Harold and Carole,

Happy New Year!

I called BFS and they gave me a dealer name in San Leandro, CA. Those people were very supportive and don't mind small sales. This might be a good time to consider buying the teeny battery hydrometer from them. It is designed so you flip up the cap on a battery cell and insert the hydrometer tube straight down the small hole in the cap (no need to remove the cap). It was not at all expensive (I think I remember around $15).

Cheers!

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oh me I've been filling batteries from a system that looks like this for going on 50 years and thought I was up to date

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
NORCAL, I took my battery fill system off, so I have 18 caps I don't need anymore. You are welcome to as many as you want. If you are going to the DRR I'll have them with me. PM me if your in need sooner than that.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Harold, I have some extras; also I'll be at Indio and DRR... and if nothing else I understand we might see you at the NorCal Christmas in June in Bodega Bay.
Matt
zinom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
Oh me I've been filling batteries from a system that looks like this for going on 50 years and thought I was up to date

Man, that thing will wear you out!
Beagle
Old 01-07-2011, 12:10 AM   #7

I use this system for my 6 batteries:

Pro-Fill RV | Flow-Rite

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In truth I did not know a system like that existed but thinking about it for a while now I think I like the old way better in that at least it'll give me a heads up about battery condition if I keep seeing one cell go low faster than the others, plus so far mine is really easy to get to with just having to take the step cover off which I'd still have to do with the new improved system.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 01-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks everyone. Yes, Carroll and I will be at the DRR this year weather permitting. We tried last year but the big storm hit the night before we had planned to leave Indio and the roads were closed. He had to take back roads to make it to Lake Havasu.

And, yes, Carroll has us signed up for ACA NorCal's Paso Robles and Guarantee RV's Harrisburg, OR in April and Bodega Bay in June.

Harold
Old 01-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
In truth I did not know a system like that existed but thinking about it for a while now I think I like the old way better in that at least it'll give me a heads up about battery condition if I keep seeing one cell go low faster than the others, plus so far mine is really easy to get to with just having to take the step cover off which I'd still have to do with the new improved system.

And what do you do if you see one cell go low (uses more water) faster than others?
Old 01-08-2011, 07:25 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In a normal car or truck battery if the unit would not start after a couple of days because of a low battery it sometimes can be traced to a bad cell causing the low power condition, especially in sub freezing temperatures.

In larger diesel over the road tractors in cold weather one cell can do the same thing, the batteries in these OTR trucks are hooked up like 4 six volts for house current, now being new to RV and reading that the house power is low at about 11.5 volts (not sure if that's the exact figure) if my house supply went that low fairly often for no reason then I would point my attention to that one cell and it's two volt contribution to the out put.

The low cell all the time would be the one I'd expect to fail a hydrometer test, as well as the fact that one cell may need refilling way more often than the rest of them and if not caught or kept filled over the plates could mean an even faster demise of that battery.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
I also removed my fill system, and use a battery bulb filler from NAPA to add distilled water when I check them about every 6 weeks or so. So far no cells are needing water more than any other cells, but the coach has 8 house batteries in two rows of four. The 4 batteries closest to the frame rale seem to need more water than the outer 4 batteries, and it's been that way since we purchased it two years ago. Should hydrometer them, but when I find it, I say I will do it, then go to look for it, and cannot find it again, old age is heck!!!!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #13

Did you find a cap yet? I am in the process of taking out my battery fill system and replacing the batteries with AGM batteries. I have an 08 with a fill system that might be the same one. If you still need it I will try and see what mine looks like. I was just going to put the whole system on ebay. It is for six golf cart type batteries, but I did not look real close as to what the actual caps look like. Let me know if you still need it and I will go check it out. Marvin C
Old 01-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
We went with AGMs because the battery compartment is so tight. Now we never have to look in there or worry about water. Joe