Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Alpine Owners Club
looking for new tires (portland)

Hello alpine owners,
I am in the market for new tires for 2000 alpine coach. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy in Portland or Eugene? Also what tire are you riding. Brand. We drive a lot so looking for good all around tire.

Matt, Sara janssen Kids:Bella, Lucy WWW.happyjanssens.com
2000 FDS 40' Alpine Coach (Current)
2005 Ford Sport Trac (Toad)
mattinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
We purchased 6 new R280 Bridgestone 295/75/R22.5 tires from GCR Tire Center at 10360 N. Vancouver Way in Portland, Or.
Did some shopping first and they were best for the Bridgestone tires we wanted.

Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
Alpine Owners Club
America's Tire, Les Schwalb, Costco will order the size but won't put them on. No sales Tax in Oregon, so you save that little fee. If you confine your travels to the West half of the country, Les Schwalb cannot be beaten for service-closed on sundays.

We have the Goodyear G670 Tires on our coach, and I like them. 4 years old in december, so next year late we need to think about new ones.

Those are the only two shops I have ever used, find good service, I stay with it. Oh I did buy new tires for my truck at America's Tire, and I liked them as well.
Monty & Janet - 2007 Alpine APEX 40 MDTS
S/N - 75715 - Retired - Master Certified RV Tech
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
Alpine Owners Club
Originally Posted by Beagle RC Air View Post
We purchased 6 new R280 Bridgestone 295/75/R22.5 tires from GCR Tire Center at 10360 N. Vancouver Way in Portland, Or.
Did some shopping first and they were best for the Bridgestone tires we wanted.
After 5000 miles we are very happy with our Bridgestone R250 ED tires, availble in H rating 11R22.5 size for about $1000 less than Michelons (from the same dealer). Out the door with 7.5% sales tax and balancing and alignment: $2500 for 6 new ones dated within a couple months of installation.
Jaime & Dave (and our 3 cocker spaniels)
2005 Alpine Coach 36FDTS w/ 2009 Honda CR-V, Doran TPMS, Roadmaster Towbar, US Gear Braking
Dave and Jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
After 12,000 miles we continue to be very happy with our Bridgestone R250's in 295/80R22.5, and we bought them from Les Schwab in Junction City, OR, who also happens to be a SmartTire dealer/distributor. The Bridgestones have extra tread depth over the Goodyears, and are know to have very good casings.
Former Owner, 2006 36MDDS
2010 Arctic Fox 22GK Travel Trailer
2007 Toyota Tundra
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #6
Alpine Owners Club
I bought Toyo's last year from Les Schwab here in Vcaville, CA to replace the originals, got a great deal as he gave me $ 50.00 credit per tire for the old ones, cause he could sell the old ones to truckers as they were only 5 years old.

I think L.S. is the place to buy tires. just my thoughts
Dave Stanley
2005 38 FDTS 04 Jeep Liberty
Vacaville, CA
Dave Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:23 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
All I need is a couple more coaches riding on Bridgestone, and I'll get a new set free!!

Just kidding.

Any major brand tire will be good. I happen to run Bridgestone R260. It is an all-position tire with 22/32 deep tread. This tire is designed for high scrub (lots of turning, starting and stopping) which fit us perfectly for all of our two lane mountain driving. We have 30K miles on the tires now, and no irregular wear at all. They have never been rotated or rebalanced. Do as I say, not as I do!

Tires have been in very short supply for the last few months. Most new tires should have little or no age.

Good luck in your hunt. It would seem $2500 to $2700 is a good buy for major brands, excluding Michelin.

Tom, Patty, Hannah "The Big Dog" and Abby Kat, Indianapolis, Indiana 2000 36' FDS 72232 Our Photos
We live out in our old van. Travel all across this land. Drive until the city lights dissolve into a country sky, me and you - hand in hand.
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #8
Nolans Tire Factory in Gresham. You can warranty at any Tire Factory. Call 503 666 6759 talk to Chuck. I have been buying all my truck and passenger tires for close to 40 years and never had a problem they didn't take care of. While Les Schwab may have good service, I think you can get a better price somewhere else. All their advertising has to be paid for by somebody!
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
We went with the Bridgestone R280's - Les Schwab in Bend, OR. and are VERY happy - much improvement over the Toyo's. I am sure the R250's would have been fine but we do more long distance than short trips and was told the R280 Long Haul tire (versus Regional) would stand up better.

As I said in an earlier tire thread, SHOP around on the phone once you decide which tire you want. I called 5 or 6 Les Schwabs and got 5 or 6 different prices for the SAME tire, SAME service.

Be sure to ask how much they will give you for your old tires. I got $ 75 each and I'm sure they sold them to some trucker for $ 100. I also opted for spin balance. I had tried Equal and was not pleased.

2011 Allegro Bus
being pushed by a
2015 Lincoln MKC
NorCal C&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:54 PM   #10
Alpine Owners Club
I am also replacing tires this fall. Maybe we could get a deal on a dozen.

05 Alpine 36MDDS, 09 Subaru Forester, no animals.
two sailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:39 PM   #11
What tires should I buy?

Today, I tried to educate myself on tires to be purchased in Portland. I think I know less, now, than I did this morning. I stopped by 3 suppliers and got all kinds of reasons to buy this or that tire.

I read that some of you like the Bridgestones, but some like a higher profile than others. Others may still like Toyo's, the ones that came on my rig. Good Year and Michelin are choices.

The common thread on all of you is that you replace them in 5 or so years. You never replace them because you have no tread left. So that leaves me to believe any, quality tire, should work. How about Kelley's? You don't see advertising on them so they cost less - under $2000 with trades but balancing extra.

My story is that I have 25,000 miles on a 5 year old coach. Absolutely no sign of wear and what good reasons can you give me to spend $800 for Bridgestones, or $1000 for Good Years or $1500 for the Michelin's?

I was told at the time of purchase of the motor home that I would not be satisfied with the Toyo's they put on them - not so much of a problem. I am concerned about safety and would appreciate some good, valid reasons to buy this or that tire. I don't believe in my brother-in-law thinking that Chevrolets are lousy cars because he has trouble with one in 1948!

I have about 3 weeks to make my decision and would appreciate all of your comments. One other thing. Eventhough I have never had a tire problem in 40 years of all types of RV'ing, service could be an issue.

lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #12

The main reason I would pay the $800 for the Bridgestones are the strong casings they are known for having, leading to less chance of a massive blowout and tread separation-safety being the most important event with tires, in my view. My brother has capped a lot of truck and bus tires over the years as a Bandag recapper and he always paid more for the Bridgestone casings because he had fewer problems with them, and said the truckers he sold tires to got more miles out of the Bridgestones with fewer problems than any other brand, including Michelin and Goodyear. The second reason is the deep tread depth for longer mileage, which applies less in your situation.

The 295/80 R 22.5 profile I put on our coach tests almost spot on with the odometer and the Silverleaf when I look at the mile markers or test areas along the highway. In 5 miles it usually isn't off more than 0.1 of a mile, if that. The 11R 22.5 Toyos were off about 0.2 of a mile in 5 miles before I took them off, but that may be do to the wear on them. So that 295/80R profile gives a good match with accurate speed, and has the high load rating to boot.
Former Owner, 2006 36MDDS
2010 Arctic Fox 22GK Travel Trailer
2007 Toyota Tundra
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #13

Thanks for your reply. I guess the difference in 250 and 295 is hight. If so, the speedo would be off with the lower profile tires.

There are a couple of Portland dealers that I contacted yesterday for Bridgestone but one sells used tires to garbage trucks and such. Therefore, he takes trades and the other does not give credit.
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #14
Another vote for Les Schwab. I got a set of 6 Toyos for our Georgetown - out the door with new stems, spin balanced, taxes and everything for $2300 and change.

Our local store went out of its way to find the newest tires in the warehouse because they were for an RV. They were less than 6 weeks old when they put them on.

A significant improvement in road noise and a slightly better ride than the GYs we took off, which were dated 2001.

Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote