Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:40 PM   #1

Loss of power

Have a 2006 Alpinewith 400cu cummins. notice that I dont have the power when taking on hills. it will slow down to aprox 50mph. and from stop to go, it start gradually., anyone have a clue on this Problem?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #2

2006 Alpine. front brinkers not working but the back do. where would I locate the fuse box. Tks

Old 07-16-2010, 11:54 PM   #3

jdb-
if you hear a loud hissing, then you most likely have a blown elbow between the turbo and the intercooler; that's a common problem till the OEM 350 degree elbow gets replaced by a 500 degree unit. You can search from the Alpine Owners Forum page on turbo elbow and you should be able to find threads discussing same.
As to the blinkers, check the output LEDs on the Vansco VMM module behind the plastic pane ahead of the co-pilot's feet. For left turn, input 11 and output 5 LEDs should blink; the input tells it to blink the turn signals front & back and output 5 tells the fronts to blink (there is another LED output on the rear module in the battery compartment that will be blinking for the left rear). Input 12 and output 6 should blink on the front for right turn. If the front 5 & 6 don't blink you may have a problem w/the VMM module.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:37 AM   #4

I have a slite pause when starting out and wonder if I should check this elbow. No hissing and power otherwise seems ok on hill climbing.
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:13 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Diesel Engines are not fast off the line like gas engines. They need to build momentum and the turbo needs to spin up as the exhaust pressure increases. The turbo takes a second or two to catch up when you first start rolling, it is called Turbo lag. If you have the Silverleaf you can watch the Boost as you start to accelerate. If you have lost one of the elbows you will have no or low boost pressure.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #6

Did not hear hissing. I been taking it out since last Fall. I notice the power at take off, going up the Shenondoah moumtains great, without any hesitation. If I recall Booster Pressure only reads 13 now when driving or rev'n drops to about 8 -9 when takinginclination.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #7

Jim- the turbo spins up based on exhaust flow. Starting from low rpm's there is low exhaust flow to spin the turbo. So the lack of oompff (hope I spelled that right) coming off idle rpm's is textbook operation.

jdb- the elbow in question is visible (might want a flashlight) ahead of and to the left of the coolant surge tank looking forward thru the left side of the engine hatch. The elbow connects a vertical to a horizontal metal tube about 4" in diameter, and is on the 4" pipe section between turbo (top center left of engine) and the intercooler (a.k.a. charge air cooler or CAC) intake toward the engine-side-rear of the radiator assembly. Once located you may be able to snake an arm in there to feel around on the elbow; usually the blow out is a triangular tear.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Was cleaning my engine compartment so that I could check everything out and sure enough the blue elbow leading from the turbo to the CAC has a small tear in it. Maybe it was my imagination but on our last trip to Oregon the coach felt a little less powerful.

Called Purosil (951-271-3900) the hose manufacturer and they said they have had a huge number of calls related to this hose failure. According to them the manufactures were remiss by putting this hose on the "hot" side of the turbo as it was designed for the "cold" side.

The good news is that I was able to order the correct orange hose #3648-400-MK. The bad news is that they now have a minimum order of $100.00 so I am now the owner of two orange elbows.

Thanks to all you forum people that make these searches so much easier.

By the way, this failure happened at just 33,000 miles so I suggest everyone check your blue elbow if you haven't already done so.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry ours happened at 19K miles. I'm thinking it's how much hill driving you have done, which turns out causes it to heat up more than running on the flats. You paid a lot less for yours than we did. It took me about 30 minutes to change this hose. Mine sounded like I had an air compressor right up in the front of the coach with me. Worse in the bedroom. I might be tempted to purchase the second hose from you, just so I have a spare, are you going to be at the salem rally?
Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 PM   #10

The turbo is a rotary (as opposed to piston) air compressor. Compressing air generates heat. Also, since the motive power is exhaust, and since exhaust is hotter the more burned fuel it contains, hills mean the turbo metal is getting hotter as well as the engine calling for max compressed air, so it imparts more heat to the compressed air from the exhaust. You can easily add 300 degrees to the intake air temp, which is variable. If its 100 degrees out, and you add 300, you have exceeded the lesser rated elbow (350 IIRC) and will make it more pliable. Enough cycles of that and it is easy to see why this blowout is common. 500 degree rating would be mo bettah. I think that's the rating of the elbow now being used for retrofits.

However, practically everything wears out. I'm thinking even a 500 degree rated flexible elbow has its cycle limits when run to 400 or maybe even 450 on occasion. IIWM, I'd own a spare elbow and carry it w/the coach.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:55 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Has anyone found a cheaper price from a distributor? I'm inclined to pick one up, too. I checked mine today. It's not torn, but REALLY flexible. Very little resistance to my poking. (no comments from the peanut gallery, please) I have 65K with lots of mountain driving. It looks like I can get to it and replace it myself if stranded.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #12

Thanks for you reply.. Will look into this issue. Planning on taking to Cummins Rep. RV still on warranty
Old 07-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #13

Tks Dave for the info. I know the lag from a disel and gas engine. I had some power and when I first bought and and now lost a 50%. Thanks all for t the outstandig responses.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:02 AM   #14

i have the same issue where can i find the elbow hose for my 2007 lapalma xl it has a cummins engine