Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:29 PM   #15

I will throw in one other thing to check -- 2 weeks ago in Lubbock, TX, I could not get 50 amp power to the coach, but the 30 amp box worked and so did the 15 amp. I hooked to the 30 amp while we were waiting to check the 50 amp. The park technician came by and plugged his multimeter in and it show plenty of voltage. I kept jiggling the connector to the box and it wouldn't get power to the coach.

My wife was watching the surge guard display and on one of the jiggles it said open ground. The park tech said that couldn't be because the 30 amp and 15 amp connectors in the box shared the same ground.

I convinced the park tech to tear apart the 50 amp connector in the box and found out it had a bent ground connection and wasn't making contact with the plug from the coach. So the multimeter can show power but the ground can still be open.

You might want to have the park maintenance people check the connector in the box to make sure it's making a good ground contact. Once we replaced the connector in the box it worked fine.

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2007, 02:19 PM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
That is a safety problem but doesn't cut off the power unless you have surge guard. I am pretty sure Eusefull's coach doesn't have surge guard. That is the advantage and disadvantage of surge guard. I'll opt for the safety.

Dale

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:48 PM   #17

Thanks OldForester...but I ran my cord to 2 other power posts in the park and neither changed my situation.

I did got the manf. name and part # off the current transfer switch (Lyght Systems - LPT50CA), did a search and found a couple of companies selling the part new ranging from $130 to $180

In case anyone in the future happens along the same situation...here are the links:

http://www.rvpowerhouse.com/product.php?id=24

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/Product...DID=65&CID=412

getting one overnighted to us to arrive on SAT and installed...so will follow up with hopefully a favorable..."that was it" update.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:53 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
We had a similar problem, it was a blown fuse INSIDE the inverter. Worth a check.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 10:45 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Hello,

I have a 2003 FDTS 40' with a Surge Guard. The controller is located with the fuses under the bathroom sink. The actual box is located 3" aft of the transfer switch, hanging from the roof of the basement on it's side. Verify it is mounted on it's side (flat installation will cause it to fail). The mounting brackets should be purposefully twisted so that it can be mounted on it's side (with the opening vertical).

I had the same problem, but it only lasted a short while. I ran the genset for a while and then went to bed. When I woke it was okay. The Surge Guard can cut off power to the coach if the voltage level is too low, coming from the post. You can set how long the delay is (after the fault condition) at the control panel. I had the problem at a park that was registering low voltage.

However, I've also read elsewhere that the inverter can be the root cause. I continued to have erratic behavior of various electrical components with "brains" (TV, fridge, awning, A/C) and the inverter seems to be the cause. The modified sine inverter is not compatible with components using computer boards. I am having a Xantrex RS3000 installed as we speak (as I write). The tech at Coach Care and the tech at Xantrex both believe it will be a "magic pill" for all that ails my coach, including the apparent problem from the transfer switch, Surge Guard battle.

I also am installing a buck-boost type autoformer to help with low voltage situations and to "smooth out" the line voltage. I intend for this darn coach to be bullet-proof.

P.S. I ordered the Xantrex from solartron.com in Victorville and saved $700 on the total parts. Diana was very helpful, shipped within 4 hours.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:18 AM   #20

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Does your coach have the Vansco systm? This system first appeared in 2003 I think. If so, is the multiplexer box back in the battery compartment lit up? Our 2006 Apex recently went toatlly dead. No DC power anywhere. Engine and generator would not start. I happened to notice that the multiplexer box was not lit up and turned the battery disconnects off and back on. Coach came back to life.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 07:23 AM   #21

My 2 cents worth. I had the same problem this spring. No AC at my 50 Amp plug here at home and also no AC when I ran the Generator. The problem was in the inverter. I had the inverter rebuilt and all is fine now.

Jim & Viv
40FT FDFS #75725
Rusty Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:10 PM   #22

OK, the episode has been resolved and I want to thank all for their input as I am impressed with not only the number of replies...but the expedtious manner in which all reply. Really, hats off to all who chimed in with suggestions.

Here's what it ended up being.... a $1.96 fuse inside the inverter! LOL...

Barbaraok you got it right from experience!

The small 3/4 inch fuse ( a 250 mili-amp) was the culprit and it was preventing the AC lite in the Xantrex from coming on and pushing incoming AC or generator power to the system.

If anyone happens to be in the Bar Harbor area and in need of a RV repair shop...see Randy at Ellsworth (207) 667-9609 just outside of Bar Harbor. Has a small shop, but is very easy to work with and very knowledgeable. So we are back at our campsite pushing 50 amp power and all is good.

Again, thanks to all for their helpful tips!

Eusefull
Old 09-21-2007, 09:42 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eusefull:
The small 3/4 inch fuse ( a 250 mili-amp) was the culprit and it was preventing the AC lite in the Zantrex from coming on and pushing incoming AC or generator power to the system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>But shouldn't the Xantrex only pass shore power through to the AC circuits that receive AC from the invertor?? For instance, power to the AC units does not go thru the invertor, therefore should not have been affected by the blown fuse.

Please clarify more for us.

Thanks!

Jeff.
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:27 AM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
Jeff,

Eusefull posted that he was in an area where he was not using the AC. Not ever having that problem I didn't think to have him try the AC in my initial posts of things to check. Since most everything that one uses in the coach runs thru the inverter it is easy to miss what is really going on. This is why the best way to find what is the real problem is with a meter or test light. Then you can find out where the power loss is in the circuit. I don't recommend that to anyone who is not familiar with 120 voltage systems.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 07:38 AM   #25

Just to elaborate a bit more what Randy the repairman did to trouble shoot it.

1) he did a voltage check on all circuits in the transfer switch and all were hot.

2) then he did the same on main circuit in the coach and it too was hot.

3) a call to Xantrex and phone support asked us if the "AC in" light was on or not. (When I say "AC in" light, I am NOT speaking about the air conditioner, but rather the little light on the Xantrex panel) It was not so they suggested checking the fuse inside the inverter and indeed it was blown. It is a very small fuse (E 250mA / 250 V - 239) and it is only 3/4 of an inch long. It was a challenge to find. Finally found them at an electronics supplier and for $9 got 5.

We got the impression from the Xantrex support that even if the inverter is off, the AC in light should be on in our panel. Mine was not but now that it is fixed, when I am hooked to shore and turn off my inverter, my "AC in" light DOES stay on.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:27 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
As concerns the Air Conditioner and the invertor. The thermostat is controlled on the 12v side, the compressors run on 120v. However, the invertor being bad can cause signal interruption to the Air Conditioner "brain" and thereby, the compressors. The same problem has occurred with florescent lighting interrupting the Air's "brain". Coach Care is testing that now in my 2003.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:13 AM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dgerstel:
... Since most everything that one uses in the coach runs thru the inverter it is easy to miss what is really going on. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks Dale! When taken literally, "no AC power" being fixed by the invertor fuse seemed confusing to me. I think I have 3 outlets that are not on the invertor, so those would be my test points.

I did have one scare. We were getting ready to go to Lake Mohave in July (expected high 115+ degrees). Hooked up at home to 50amp, only 1 air conditioner would run. We had the start capacitor go out on that AC unit only 2 months earlier, and I thought it had happened again.

When all was said and done, it ended up being that when I plugged the Marinco 50A cord into the coach, I miss aligned 1 of the 2 hot legs and only 1/2 of the coach had AC power. I found an outlet that had no power, while other outlets/circuits did. I dis-assembled the 50A Marinco plug on the end of the cord and re-aligned the contact that had shifted.
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #28

Jeff S., what you are describing by mis-aligning a 1 of the 2 hot legs on the plug is more or less impossible on a 50AMP/125V circuit. If you were able to do this I would find a competent electrician and have him immediately check your electrical wiring. I would be very concerned up until that time. What you describe is basically impossible.

Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote