Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:26 AM   #1

Was taking a walk, got back to the rig and noticed we lost electrical power and was running off batteries.

I check the post and flipped the shore power (which did not appear to be tripped) back and forth...still no power into the rig.

Flipped my inside "Main" breaker and inverter breakers and still no power coming into the rig.

Plugged a hair dryer into the shore post and there is power off that.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2007, 07:26 AM   #2

Was taking a walk, got back to the rig and noticed we lost electrical power and was running off batteries.

I check the post and flipped the shore power (which did not appear to be tripped) back and forth...still no power into the rig.

Flipped my inside "Main" breaker and inverter breakers and still no power coming into the rig.

Plugged a hair dryer into the shore post and there is power off that.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Old 09-20-2007, 07:58 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Eusefull,

Do you have the Surge Guard on your unit? Have you tried the generator? Are you plugged into 50amp service, if so then there could still be a problem with the 50amp plug even if the 120V plug works.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:08 AM   #4

we are an 2003 alpine coach...not sure if we have Surge Guard...(where would it be?)

Yes, generator comes on and yes, we are plugged into 50amp post.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:15 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
I don't think Surge Guard was available as an option in 03. If you had electrical power when you were running the generator then the problem is probably the power you are plugged into or a problem in the transfer switch in the coach.

Dale
Old 09-20-2007, 08:18 AM   #6

when you say transfer switch....are you referring to the breaker switch itself?

i ran my cord to the available campsite next to us and plugged in and it too did not change anything. that makes me believe it is not the campground because the guy on my other side IS getting power no problem...so unlikely 2 posts are bad with the others working.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:29 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
The transfer switch switches the incoming power from power cord to generator and back as needed automatically. It is usually mounted in a plastic box attached to the bottom of the floor in the bay in front of the holding tanks bay. It will have the other end of your power cord going into it along with two other cords. Unless you are good with electric wiring I would not recommend working on it.

The power at one post does not guaranty power at any others. It all depends on how the park is wired. The only way to test is with a meter or test light.

Dale
Old 09-20-2007, 08:57 AM   #8

well, the maintenance guy just came by with a voltage meter and the 50 amp post IS putting our juice...so it is coach related i am afraid.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Just a thought, did you push the circuit breaker lever hard to off when you "flipped the breaker", this is required on most breakers to reset after they have been tripped.

Dale
Old 09-20-2007, 09:38 AM   #10

thanks Dale....i did give that another try to no avail.

i have a local repair shop going to look at the transfer switch tomorrow. i think after all the troubleshooting, you are correct that it is going to be a bad transfer switch.

do you have any idea what they should cost so i am not too shocked tomorrow? LOL
Old 09-20-2007, 10:17 AM   #11

Try this, I spoke to one of our techs he suggested this. Firstly are both zones on your roof air on. This might cause the breaker in your coach to trip continually. Check the house batteries are they fully charged or are they really low low. Check the inverter to see if you have a fault code. If you do reset it. If these things fail it probably is a bad transfer switch. Lindsay
Old 09-20-2007, 12:01 PM   #12

Hopefully I am not being repetetive but does your coach function with the generator power. If so the transfer switch is bad. I believe someone referenced that in a previous answer. I just replaced one that is up on the ceiling if you will in the basement roof. It is a black box app. 6 " X 6" by 4" deep. Inside there are two 3 pole starters and an auxillary contact. If this is the problem your easiest and quickest remedy is contct WRV service and they will send you a replacement. If you have some electrical knowledge turn all power off and remove the box. Go to a good electrical supply house and they should be able to help you. More than likely the starters are Cutler Hammer but the coach does not know what brand it has.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:34 PM   #13

Hi Lindsey and thanks too for the tips...however...

neither of the AC units were on as the main power was off at the time the power stopped. We are staying in Bar Harbor, ME and it is plenty cool enough so no AC needed. (Heat at night though)

House batteries are full...and no faults showing on the inverter.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:11 PM   #14

Hi Ted, I think you are correct....it is the transfer switch. Is the tranfer switch a fairly universal part...meaning pretty much the same from 03 to 05?

If so, what did yours run you?

I called WRV, but got VM so waiting for them to call back and confirm the part # I need.