Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2019, 12:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Hydraulic brakes are not 'naturally self adjusting' unless they are disc brakes. Drum brakes are still used on many vehicles with hydraulic brake systems, and they have to be equipped with adjusters or be manually adjusted.
I have had a number of vehicles with self adjusting hydraulic drum brakes that came that way from the factory. Possibly earlier ones may not have been self adjusting, I don't remember, but the more recent ones were. Recent for me goes back to the 80's-90's.

Glad the brake failure turned out as well as it did. For me, that would have been a "thank you Lord" moment.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2019, 12:42 PM   #16

Dudley Do It had his secondary brake system working but when your brake pedal sinks in nano seconds your whole life passes by in those quick moments. The brake pedal will stroke more and brake effort will be less when one side of the master cylinder pushes out fluid. If the opposite system was not functioning before the brake line blew the proportioning valve/sensor would have lighted the red brake warning light. When you apply brakes and you don't slow down the tendency is to push harder, that's what Dudley did bringing the rig to a stop.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #17

Scarey

Glad you're OK.

I already planned to have it done, but I'll for sure be having my brake fluid flushed before we head towards Quartzite.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:41 PM   #18

OK, here's the follow-up on my brake failure/repair. As I said, I always use the engine brake system, most always on maximum. At the time of failure, I was creeping along, and always keeping plenty of room ahead. When the light changed on me, and I applied the pedal, it did go to the floor, but sllooowly. I did still have some residual brake left, but very minimal, to the point where I was slowly creeping up on the car in front of me,with the pedal on the floor. So that's when I put the tranny in neutral, that action allowed the coach to gently stop. I don't think I would ever use the parking brake to help me stop except in the case of a dire emergency.
The repair guys I used were local, and they were diligent in their efforts to fix the problem, and ended up abandoning the line due to being unable to get to the area upstream of the breach, an area maybe 2 inches wide between the frame and the side of the fuel tank, and about a couple of inches aft of a vertical line with the axel. Of course there was a big bundle of wires and hoses running in the same area. There is also an area of dense foam insulation in that channel, just behind the LP tank, sealing off the tank area from the rest of the basement. They ended up driving a new length of steel 1/4 inch line through all of those areas and reattaching it at the anti-lock device, and the front fitting where it goes through the frame. That was 25 ft. It ended up being quite a job. It took two men 8 hrs. to figure out what to do and then do it. It ended up costing 750.00....16 man hours plus material.
Dudley Do-Right, '06Alpine Apex40MDTS
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:14 PM   #19

Great to hear it worked out for you. No one was hurt and no additional damage! Also, 16 hours at $750 is a bargain. Please PM his name and contact info.

Just saw your post tonight. Wish I had earlier. I live in Ocean Isle Beach NC, only 45 minutes from Wilmington. Also, we are home until after Christmas when we head south and would have been happy to assist in any way.

Hope the rest of your trip is trouble free!
Old 12-14-2019, 02:35 AM   #20

Glad that you were able to get things sorted out.

Did you ever determine what caused the line to fail in the first place? Lines don't typically fail on a chassis that age unless there is a problem external to the line itself.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 04:34 AM   #21

Dudley Do your lucky/lucky , nobody got hurt and the repair guys treated you more than fair,750 for two guys work was a bargain.
My son has an automotive repair shop, and a very common problem today is rusted out steel brake lines. Salt on highways is a killer ,,, Here in Pennsylvania the 'new' method of treating highways before winter storms is to spray down a salt brine before the storm hits. When moisture hits the dry salt all that mist sticks to everything under your vehicle. Guess what happens to the stuff underneath.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes