Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #71

And I should point out that Gary Arnold was the guy who showed me the air gauge and how to install it. Thanks, Gary; that made a lot of difference in diagnosing this problem.

OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #72

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Takepride- do the two lines to your mystery valve enter a Tee which enters the base of the valve?
eMike:

Just as OS mentions, one hose enters the top of the valve and the other enters the bottom of the valve. The third fitting exits perpendicularly to the other fittings and is where the air escapes. Though designed to accept a hose and fitting, none existed, prompting an intense, but unfruitful search for the errant hose. Later evaluation revealed the fittings appeared patina-ed and likely never had a hose.

Apparently one of four.....

Thanks guys!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #73

Well, the quick release (QR) valve helped the low air when cold problem for a few days when the temperature was in the low 40's but didn't totally solve it completely below 40. When the outside temperature dropped below 35 degrees, it reappeared. This time I was able to get the coach to the techs working on it, when the outside temperature was 20 degrees and it was losing a lot of air. I would get the low air warning intermittently all the way to the shop.

The techs crawled under the coach while the engine was running and the low air warning was on and found the roto-chamber (parking brake actuator) was leaking out the side of the housing, where the outer can bolts to the inner frame of the chamber. We replaced the roto-chamber with a used one I bought from a wrecked 2003 Alpine, because we didn't have time to wait for a new one to be made - 3 weeks - and to get the old one rebuilt.

The replacement roto-chamber has worked like it should. Had 35 degrees in West Texas Saturday and 34 degrees in Tucson Sunday when we left and both times the coach aired up promptly and stayed aired up as we left. It's a first! Plus every time I put the parking brake on and off, there is a noticeable increase in "feel" of the brake switch - like lots of air and not the "spongy" feel I had before.

Inspection of the old roto-chamber shows it has been leaking in the same spot for a long time -- a residue right at the leak. The leaking spot was on the top of the can when the chamber is mounted so it's not easy to see, and it doesn't appear when it's warm.

I plan to get the original roto-chamber rebuilt in Portland, OR, on the way home in early April and keep it as a spare. The techs in Texas recommended Otts Friction Supply there as a good place to get this work done. Has anybody else used them in the past?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #74

Alpine Owners Club
Do you happen to know the VIN off that wrecked '03? I'd like to add it to the Registry. RIP....
Old 03-03-2011, 09:26 AM   #75

TakePride:

The last 5 of the VIN on the 2003 Alpine that provided the replacement rotochamber was 74732. It is at Visone in New London, KY.

The link on that coach is:

2003 ALPINE WESTERN RV PARTS FOR SALE - USED MOTORHOME RV REPAIR PARTS FOR SALE. Used RV Parts Repair and Accessories | ALPINE COACH PARTS FOR SALE | visonerv.com

I also noticed another 2003 Alpine in Salt Lake that I think is the one previously shown on this forum that wrecked and was owned by a couple named Roderick, as I remember. Its VIN is 74765. This is the link on that coach:

Salvage Western Rv Alpine 2003 - WESTERN RV - for sale in Salt Lake City,UT,USA | Used Cars For Sale
Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #76

The earlier comment about "needing" to add a moisture dump valve to the bottom of the air pressure reserve tank puzzled me, so again, I crawled under my 03 to explore this issue. On my 03, the line that feeds the remote air chuck and the accompanying drain valve is routed from the bottom of the reserve tank--providing an effective means of draining any accumulated moisture from the reserve tank. Guess WRV changed this set-up at some point between 03 and 06?
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #77

Old Scout-- they must have changed the routing because mine came from the bottom of the tank but was routed up to the floor of the coach and back down to the air chuck. We just teed into that drain and added the simple pull drain to the bottom of it to make sure it dumped water.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #78

You shouldn't have problem with Otts, as I have bought parts from them over the years and no problem with them. Another place in Portland that is ok is Brake Systems Inc. Either one should be OK.
2007 Apex MDTS (425 hp) #75723
2007 Toyota 4-Runner
2014 Ram Laramie 3500
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #79

Final outcome determined for the low air suspension issue being "investigated" this year at DRRX. Cummins Tech suggested there is a link between faulty EGR modules [internal coolant leaks] on newer coaches with the clean burning engines and sticking air compressor regulator control valves. Limited number of coaches are impacted--you can PM me if you need the details....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #80

Old Scout and Kraig--

When I replaced my air pressure regulator, that sits on top the compressor, I learned that often you can rap on it gently with a hammer/wrench or whatever and it will "unstick". If it is stuck it trips the unloader valves on the compressor and keeps them open so the air pressure can't build up.

Kraig, thanks for your input on Otts. I also looked at Brake Systems and appears they do the same thing. So I will move on with one of them when I finally start going on to the Northwest.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:07 PM   #81

Another update on the roto-chamber (parking brake actuator). I was able to get it totally rebuilt, repainted, tested, and working like a new one at Colton Truck Supply, in San Bernardino, CA. They are located on I-215 just north of the interchange with I-10. Cost was $125 plus tax, which is a heckuva lot cheaper than a new one at $488 plus shipping. So now I have an almost "brand new" spare.

If you need one of these rebuilt, their number is 909-888-8300; talk to Brandon.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #82

Hi OldForester

Want to thank you for starting this thread and all your information. You described exactly what my 2005 alpine 36' FDTS was doing. I got under my coach and found the same parking brake actuator leaking just like yours. was able to remove it and took it to a place called Walker's Air Brake in Ontario, Ca. Ph. # 909-947-1141. They rebuilt it for me in about 30 mins for $60.00. Installed back on my coach and the pressure was back up and the parking brake sounded much stronger as you had said. Thanks you saved me alot of time and money. If anyone would like to contact me on this or anything else about my Alpine my email is jravels@roadrunner.com Thanks OldForester Thanks. Jamie
Old 01-31-2013, 10:19 PM   #83

JRAWins,

Glad the thread helped you. The problem bugged me for almost 4 years, just gradually getting worse as it got cold, until it got really cold and just wouldn't air up and stay up. Fortunately I found some truck mechanics that found the problem when I couldn't see it. It's really a relatively simple problem to fix; just takes knowing that's where to look. I'm really glad to hear somebody like you with the same problem got there quickly with this thread, and found an even lower cost, faster place to get the chamber rebuilt.

That's what this forum's all about, and why the owner experience, shared here, is better than most factory support. It sure was with the case of WRV before their demise vs. since their demise. I have to really thank Engineer Mike for getting this forum ramped up to a higher level of involvement when WRV closed their doors. I'm also finding a lot of similar support on the Arctic Fox collection through a separate forum, but then Arctic Foxes are a lot similar and a lot fewer systems to break down.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:15 PM   #84