Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Low air suspension warning

Went to leave on a trip this morning and the low air suspension warning would not go off even though the air bags were fully filled, hence the warning buzzer would sound as soon as I tried to move the coach. Also the parking brake push/pull switch could be heard leaking air-first time I have heard this. Could the two be related? And if so would replacing the parking brake air switch fix the problem?

toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #2

I believe the park brake and suspension are separate issues, as long as your guages show normal air pessire. The park brake and rear brakes are supplied by the primary air tank. Everything else is supplied by the secondary tank including the suspension and front brakes.

Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #3

OK--need to talk Alpine here. Unless yours is one of a very few Alpines that have air brakes, you only have one reserve tank. The parking brake is actuated by air from the rear reserve tank. Believe the two "low air" warnings [no gauges] monitor the pressure available to the suspension bags. My experience with trying to release the parking brake before the warning stop buzzer stops, results in what sounds like a fairly weak/slow brake release. Accordingly, if the brake push/pull yellow handle valve sounds like air is leaking, it would probably interfere with clearing the rear low suspension warning light/buzzer.
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry davis View Post
Went to leave on a trip this morning and the low air suspension warning would not go off even though the air bags were fully filled, hence the warning buzzer would sound as soon as I tried to move the coach. Also the parking brake push/pull switch could be heard leaking air-first time I have heard this. Could the two be related? And if so would replacing the parking brake air switch fix the problem?

Jerry, just had a similar issue, sometimes, when I would start the coach, the parking brake push/pull switch would leak air (you could hear it behind the dash) as the pressure built. I feel the suspension was coming up each time, except once when I tried to go into gear with the air still leaking. I found out if I shut the engine down and let the air bleed out, when I restarted the engine everything was fine. I ended up replacing the switch which resolved the problem.

The new switch seems to be different, but I may not have noticed it before, if I push the switch in before the system is at full pressure, the switch will not stay in. Once the pressure is up fully, it does. I do not remember the old switch doing that, in fact I remember seeing the "low air suspension" alarm, but I might not be remembering it correctly. As you know I have had the coach over 10 years, so I expect I would have noticed if this was occurring. Maybe this is a safety improvement? In the switch?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
After changing out the push/pull parking brake switch we still heard a high pitched air leak. After using a stethoscope we were able to track down the other leak. It was the air line going to the lower black gauge on the dash. The fitting was loose. Think that was the reason I was getting the low suspension warning. All seems ok now.
Dave, the OEM part number for the parking switch is now Haldex KN20021. There are also switches ending in 22 and 23 but they have different pop pressures. 21 is 35psi while 23 is 17.5psi. I was told it was important to stay with the 21. No clue why but maybe that explains your differences.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry, thanks I will have to check on it!
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #7

After driving 1-2 hours get a constant warning tone from Speedo unit. Slides are in, Jacks are lifted, Gen slide is in. After overnight stop, problem goes away initially but then starts again after an hour or so. How many and what inputs will cause the warning horn to sound constantly, I need to do some trouble shooting. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #8

Air suspension warning level is ~45psi, above that (and Alpines should be well north of 75psi) and the warning should go out. If the warning is still present the most likely three problems are:
1. loose air nipple, just like Jerry found; solution- tighten nipple.
2. broken nipple or sensor on the warning light bank; solution- try changing out the nipple, there is a spare right next to it that is only used on Avalanche models or on Limited's that have air brakes; if that doesn't work get a new warning light bank if you can, rumor has it Actia isn't selling replacements any more. In that event, you can try taking the air line off & wedging a toothpick int he nipple hole against the sensor (might have to remove the nipple) to see if you can get the alarm off, if so fix the toothpick in place (a perfectly sized screw might work). Add an air gauge if you disable the low air warning in this fashion.
3. leak at the air line where it is gripped by the nipple (internal grippers make a sort of 'cut' into the PEX line and can leak if the cut has worked too much). Solution: remove line from nipple (push in the collar at air line end of nipple & pull PEX line out) and cut it off at the cut line, maybe 1/4". This should produce a clean end you can re-insert by simply pushing in place and it should seal. I have this type leak at low air pressure now but it seals when pressure comes up so I can hit the ignore button and deal w/it when it becomes a problem.

Niteflyer- you should have the warning type showing in the little LED window below the speedometer. What is it reporting? Could be a jack coming down enough to start the warning, that's the most common for symptoms you report, usually the left rear. If that's the case you should be able to "Store" the jacks, perhaps while still driving, to get the warning to shut off. Could also be gen slide stop switch, low air warning, and probably some other thing(s) I'm forgetting.

Tags
suspension