Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
Low shore water pressure

I've done some thread searching and found that low water flow problems on these are somewhat common. I'm guessing that my coach has a flow regulator, but I can't find it. I read that it is located behind the water input connector, but I don't see anything there except the pipe and connector. My plan is to remove or disable the flow regulator and install a new one. Any help is greatly appreciated!

2003 Alpine Coach 40FD
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited in tow.
2 kids, no dogs or cats.
GTHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I hope you don't have a 'Flow regulator" however you should have a pressure regulator

There are 2 common types of "RV-pressure Regulators" and a 3rd type that works better

The two commons are combined "inlet/Regulators" in this case your city water inlet is also the pressure regulator,, If your city water inlet is more or less a circle of plastic, look to see if there is a "Vent" screen about an inch from the inlet itself. this means it is the pressure regulator (straight inlets, w/o regulation do not have the vent, or a need for one)

The other kind is the classic "In-line" a bit under 1" in diamater (Same as a 3/4" garden hose) it goes in line, it is also a flow restrictor, The standard one limits you way too much, the high flow types (These will have a colored rubber grip ring on the female end) are better but.. Still not good enough.

The good ones are like the WATTS pressure regulators, get one with a 3/4" IPT in and out, some brass adapters and some teflon tape at Lowes or Home Depot and have fun.. They do not restrict flow,,, You can use a 1/2 inch but the plumbing is harder to do.

IN addition many rigs have an in-line whole house water filter.. This may be part of your motor home, or it may be a filter you hook up in the hose path.

This clogs and reduces flow as it gets older

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
I've had the inline type freeze up entirely, nothing gets thru at all, sort of like Congress & intelligent thought. Perhaps if you find one of those you can soak it in vinegar to remove the calcium deposits and see if that fixes it. Not sure what we can do about Congress, need something stronger than vinegar.

Mine has a brass check valve built into the water fill but no regulator. I show full city pressure on the gauge when hooked up (sometimes 75psi). Occasionally a park will warn of overly high pressure, usually in the 65+ vicinity, and will have a basket of inline regulators you can purchase. I carry one of those in case I see 80 or over. The plastic diverter valves (city/tank) don't work to hold that pressure across the internal seal, but hold water so you may have a leak back to the tank internally if you haven't added additional check valves where needed.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
Thank you for the replies. Does anyone know where I would find the regulator on my coach? Is there some diagram somewhere that I'm missing that tells me where everything is located so I can (almost) stop bugging the forum? Thanks!

2003 Alpine Coach 40FD
2 kids, no dogs or cats.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:52 PM   #5
Alpine Owners Club

Since your coach is "debugged by others" (used), it's hard to say how WRV built it and what the previous owner may have done. The only way to figure it out is to follow the flow. Mine came with one on the end of the hose, probably yours, too. I know it came from the factory that way since I have the video of the walk-through from the original owner.

Start at the end of your hose, check where it goes into the coach, follow it until it arrives at the tank (though it will be before the fill valve). Free training lesson included with every investigation.

I'd recommend installing a whole-house, residential, high flow pressure regulator in line, before the fill valve. Set it to about 55 or 60 psi. I bought mine at Home Depot along with the various adapters need to fit my tubing. It's riding between my waste tanks, where the tube passes by.

Easy job, scary prospect.
2003 Alpine 40FDTS (400HP)
Long Beach, CA
takepride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:39 AM   #6
Thank you very much for the replies to many of my posts. I'll go on the Easter egg hunt tonight when I get back to the coach.

2003 Alpine Coach 40FD
2 kids, no dogs or cats.