Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #15

Have put in new batteries since 08 but doesn't mean one of them isn't going bad. usually have good voltage..I also have a new solenoid in case.. i still hear the clicking when camped and plugged into power so I just turn off the 12 volt switch in the bat compartment at night so I can sleep with the window open.. also want to see how EM got under the sink to replace the sewer connection that leaks..thanks to all for your replies. Mel
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #16

Monty- you're correct on scoring/burning, but I know of no way to avoid that.
Your pesky little nuts are nylock or similar, and they are not accessible on the inside of the frame. Your nuts live between the black metal back plate 7 the outside of the frame, and if you can figure out how to get them off you have my admiration & respect. There is about 0.4" clearance behind the wiring-panel/plate, and I can barely touch one w/my pinky iirc but cannot get any tool on them. I unscrewed the OEM phillips head screws insofar as I could till the nuts wouldn't yield any more; that gave me a tiny gap behind the screw heads. Then I muscled, pried, tweaked, fudged, angled, fangled, mangled, strangled, swangled & swore the original solenoid out. Then I slipped the lower edge of the new solenoid's bracket into the gap behind OEM phillips screw heads for a resting spot, drilled two undersized holes above the OEM screws and within the bracket bolt slots, & installed tapping screws so any idiot (ne) could R&R the thing.

Here is another idea. Solenoid bracket holds solenoid w/single small bolt & nylock. Once the small bolt is removed you can tap (plastic hammer or mallet) the solenoid out of the bracket (down only), then tap the new one up & re-install the bolt. You might want to get a way longer replacement bolt, add a short piece of tiny pipe as a shim on both head & nut side (so you see & can get at them easily next time).

Here's another idea- drill out the phillips screws & punch them back into & hopefully out of the back of the plate.

Here's another idea- get a mudflap (~$20 or less at a truck supply joint near you) & trim it to lay on the batteries. It can ride there and won't offend hardly anybody. I just did that on mine:

Wish I'da thought of that a long time ago, like when I bought the mudflaps. Now I can lay on the flap and work on that stupid backboard w/impunity.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeierl View Post
Rick, check out this thread: Engine not charging house battery
Thanks Chris. I'm familiar with that thread.

My house batteries have no problem reading 13.6v while the engine is running but after shutting down and before plugging in to shore power... even relatively small loads drag them down to 12.2v or below, so I think I at least have to have them load tested.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #18

Rick- if those batt's are original you are likely on to new ones.
But on the way to load testing, take a photo of the cabling, then take off all connections & clean them. Load test, then reconnect per the photo.
You may find the charge problem is in the connections, especially if you have lead post batteries which get a lead oxide coating that reads fine when there is no load but won't pass proper current.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Hey Rick, I don't have an inverter but this summer my batteries exhibited the same voltage drop soon after shutting down engine and frequently while plugged in they would drop to the low 12's. I replaced the converter and all is well. I did do a weekly check on the water level ( and had to add every week ). That probably saved my batteries.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Mike but these are the fourth set of batteries which have been in the coach. The first two sets were cooked in the first six months because of the Dimensions Inverter being set on the factory default 25 amp draw.

I've been pretty good about maintaining the water levels and remove them for a full maintenance and cleaning (including the cables and battery trays) annually. This was most recently done last month.

Thanks again.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
A little off thread - but we have a new, unused battery sensor for a Freedom 20 that we'd like to give to a good home.
F&D ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter