Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:07 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Lubrication of Slides

What should I use to lubricate slides i.e. dinette for my 06 Apex. Have seen several suggestions and not sure what to use. Any suggestions appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2013, 05:05 AM   #2

We use a can of silicone spray lubricant. Cheap easy and works, buy at hardware store.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Make sure whatever you use does not attract/hold dust.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Double make sure silicone spray is not impregnated with petroleum product as a carrier the petroleum will rot the rubber seals. Several companies make "slide gasket Lubricant, camping world sells it. 3M Makes Dry Silicone Lubricant, which NAPA can order for you, the product number is: 08897, costs around 9 dollars a can, keep one in the RV and one at home, great stuff.

Friend got this from HWH, clean off the shiny part of the jacks right before you leave a place, then spray the 3M product on them, wipe off, jacks will go up a lot easier, won't hurt the seals in them either.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:42 AM   #5

HWH says to only spray WD40 on the jacks, (Maintenance guide) also you do not need to lubricate the slide rails in any way. The seals around the slideout should be lubed with a special spray like this.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Hmmm, now why would a HWH tech tell him that information. THe product I mentioned does NOT use petroleum as a carrier, it's a dry silicone lubricant and uses an inert carrier.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #7

They used to say silicone spray was OK and did no harm but then discovered that over time it built up and eventually increased the retraction time too much. The advice now is to remove all the silicone coating with WD40 and then just keep them clean.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #8

Talcum powder!

HOW TO: Maintain RV Slide-Out Seals - YouTube
Old 10-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I was just in Gillette Wyoming earlier this year and asked the HWH rep at the vendor building this exact question. "Should I use WD-40 or a silicone spray on the jacks because they come up very slowly and oftentimes not at all?" He told me that WD-40 is the best thing to use... just wipe off the excess. The other silicone sprays attract more dust and grime over time and actually cause more problems. I did the WD-40 thing and haven't had a problem since. I was even looking to buy new springs before I sprayed the exposed cylinders.
Just my two cents.
2005 Alpine 38FDTS, #75373
www.UrbanEscapeVehicle.com
Hobdendw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Commercial Member

old rver, that guy sells the dry silicone product, both during and after his seminar. iv'e attended several of his sessions. all are informative. and mostly correct.
im not knocking him, just stating the official hwh corp position, yes i work for hwh.
.hwh does recommend wd 40. it does not recommend silicone for jack lube. his stuff is great for slide seals.
that said, you can use whatever you want, and think it works for you. its not going to hurt the hwh product. you will have to occasionally clean the wiper seal on the jacks. the glue in the silicone will cause a build up on the outside of the seal. clean with wd40 and a q tip. its easy.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
I will switch to WD-40 since that is what HWH recommends, it's already in the coach. The silicone is great for lots of things as well, since it's "dry Silicone" it does not leave a residue like petroleum based stuff. Thank you for the tip.
Old 10-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #12

Rexhall Owners Group
"azpete" Where is this "wiper seal" located that you said we should clean with a q-tip. I have had to replace two of the jacks on my 2003 coach, and welcome maintenance suggestions.
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
Commercial Member

the wiper seal is at the bottom of the cylinder. where the silver shaft slides up into.
for slide room seals, use a dry silicone like napa 8300. its cheaper, and just as effective.
hwh doesnt recommend any use of lube as a regular maintainance procedure.
the guy that gives the winnebago seminars is right when he says the jacks need no regular care.
if you use your hwh systems on a regular basis, most of the time its just not necessary.
only if you want to do this, we recommend use of wd 40 when you want to clean your jacks.

Tags
cat, slide