Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:12 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Luck, if it was not bad - Hotel Tax - Front TV

Hmm, at stop light, in left turn lane, everyone started moving, I gave it a second of two, then move on, next thing I know everyone is stopping, and so I slam on the brakes, and tap the car in front of me some. Put some holes in my lower fiberglass on the generator slide. Checked it when safe, no bent metal, some supports that were glassed into the cap, are broken lose. Figure I can take the thing off, take it to a good fiberglass shop, they can fix and paint it and I can put it back on, figure two weeks. If all my luck was not bad, I would have no luck at all. FWIW-Every hill I crossed today (ok two of them at least) on I-5, just over the crest, big road alligators, which caused severe braking and swerving to avoid. Then some D**??A, passed a big rig and did not give himself time or length, so into the emergency lane for me to keep from hitting him. There is something in the air or water, and I am getting tired of dealing with stupid, including me.

Figured out today (must be stupidity and old age) why places make RV'ers pay the hotel tax, most rv parks have public bath rooms which people use, because of that, the county can impose a tax on the establishment. Thought, get rid of the bathrooms as a public option, or have a bathroom assessment built into the rate, and then we could get rid of the tax. Today it was 5 bucks tacked onto my two day stay in a park, galls me to pay more taxes.

Replaced the roof antenna, digital TV does not work. Looked under the hood of the area, powered antenna is not on, turned on, still does not work, my guess is there is a wire not hooked up correctly, or something. There was no corrosion on the old one, but the fitting was not put together correctly. There is a roof mounted central cable thing, and I am wondering if there are more connections under it. I don't relish taking apart the front of the coach to get the stupid TV to work. It must be a wrong connection. Their is a metal cover under the TV, which I can remove and access the wires easier, guess that is next on the list, it's a rats nest in that area.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #2

There is another connection under the plate that goes through the roof. If I remember 4screws and remove the sealant and the plate will come off. Check the connection underneath check for 12v on the coax If you get it your good to that point if not your going to have to open up the equipment cabinet in front.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:37 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
My company took off the fiberglass front gen slide cap today. There was 4 punctures in the face of it down low, and a split/crack on the bottom you could not see till it was removed. Delivered it to the body shop, they will maybe have a quote to me tomorrow and final repair for pickup next Friday week. The bar which is the locking mechanism for the gen slide is bent in some, it still works, but I believe it's supposed to be straight across. I can remove this bar and bend it back straight, if that is what it's supposed to be. That is the only metal damage associated with the accident. The cap weighs in around 150-200 pounds with all the metal supporting structure in their. NOTE: if you have silverleaf, the generator shut off from the main console will not work, because you have to disconnect control wiring to remove cap. Also the gen slide thinks it is still out, because the switch is not closing because the cap has been removed, so the warning horn runs all the time.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #4

You should be able to splice around the closure switch.
Have them put some ghost flames on the front cap while they are touching up.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hmmm, no one really answered my question. Is the bar I described above, supposed to be straight across, or does it have a bow(bend) to it in the center? If it's straight, I am going to fix it on Saturday, so everything is in order once the cap is finished. FWIW-The paint has to cure for about 30 days before the clear 3M film can be applied or the paint will bubble. That changes my travel plans for sure.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Ok, I straightened the lock bar assembly, using to stand off blocks and a C-Clamp. I suggest everyone carry at least one farily large one with you, they are great for some "vice type" work, compressing brake calipers and other types of clamp type jobs. I carry two of them, and they are fairly large. The shoulder bolts, one for each side of the bar were also both bent, and I got new ones at Vancouver Nut & Bolt, great place to do business with.

One modification I will do, when assembling back the driving lights is to use shrink tube to seal the push on connectors instead the yard of electrical tape WRV used. The shrink tube should make those connections more waterproof. I might tape the ends of that for safety.

One thing which is mystifying to me is the LED lights on the top vansco unit stay on, even with the master switches OFF. So, as I have learned the hard way, not all circuits are disabled when the master switches are turned off. I am going to take my VOM and check some electrical connections up front to see which ones are hot and which ones are not. The keyless entry is off, none of the gauges, ignition switch, etc. don't work. None of the 120 AC appliances work either, but those two LED lights are lit, the bottom unit is dark.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:49 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Getting back to the TV, brought unit home last Saturday, ran the channel check for digital TV stations, and it picked up all of them plus some new ones I could not understand the language they spoke. The new antenna, most likely is like all of them, cannot get anything over 25 miles away from the transmitter. Digital TV is much worse than the older analog TV reception, as those signals were line of sight, but seem to bounce better, so even 50 miles away you could get something. In my case over 25 or so miles away with the digital signal, nada nothing comes in. It's a conspiracy so you have to have cable or satellite, and I am such a rebel (from GA you know) that, no one forces me to do anything. I can live without TV if that is my only choice, although I do like the weather channel, so I can see the visual and know it's position for storm, etc. I have the emergency weather radio, and a computer, so using my home page www.weatherunderground.com can get the weather for anyplace I'm in. I can hook up an HDMI cable to the Front TV from the PC, and since I have 300 or so movies on the PC, can watch most anything I want to watch using that medium. Or I can rent one from the RED BOX, and again, play it from the PC using the HDMI (better output signal than from the Sony DVD Player, plus it's Blu-ray and 3D, that is assuming the TV will broadcast the signal direct from the PC to its screen. Something to try next time I do that.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Oh, put front cap back on after repair of accident. Look like nothing happened. A few tweaks after to adjust and it's like new. Wonderful when a plan comes to together.