Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #1

Hi,

I have been lurking the ACF for a while. Let me explain, I am a greatful husband, and father to a wonderful wife and two children. My oldest is in college, and my son is 10. We plan on leaving in August for the round the US tour (college daughter excepted). We plan on seeing all 50 states, with-in 9 months to a year.Through much research, and listening to you guys, I have decided that an Alpine 38 is a great way to go. I am heading to look at one next week and wonder if you guys could give me any advice on what to look for. I am armed with the Consumer RV groups inspections sheet, and a few other suggestions. The coach is a 2001 38FDDS, with 12,800 miles. Given the vast amount of knowledge here, I would appreciate any advise for issues to look for that may be more common for the year and the model. The asking price is close to 110,000. and the owners are original, they used it mostly weekends, until their lives got in the way. Now they want to sell it because "It is one of our toys I no longer want to take care of" ((owner quote)). I look forward to meeting many, if not all of you as we travel.
Thanks in advance.

Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2008, 05:18 PM   #2

Hi,

I have been lurking the ACF for a while. Let me explain, I am a greatful husband, and father to a wonderful wife and two children. My oldest is in college, and my son is 10. We plan on leaving in August for the round the US tour (college daughter excepted). We plan on seeing all 50 states, with-in 9 months to a year.Through much research, and listening to you guys, I have decided that an Alpine 38 is a great way to go. I am heading to look at one next week and wonder if you guys could give me any advice on what to look for. I am armed with the Consumer RV groups inspections sheet, and a few other suggestions. The coach is a 2001 38FDDS, with 12,800 miles. Given the vast amount of knowledge here, I would appreciate any advise for issues to look for that may be more common for the year and the model. The asking price is close to 110,000. and the owners are original, they used it mostly weekends, until their lives got in the way. Now they want to sell it because "It is one of our toys I no longer want to take care of" ((owner quote)). I look forward to meeting many, if not all of you as we travel.
Thanks in advance.

Joe

Old 02-20-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Joe, WELCOME to iRV2!!

I'm sure you'll receive many valuable responses to your questions regarding the purchase of an Alpine coach....

I look forward to reading more of your experiences.

Please feel free to post any questions you might think of, the folks here on iRV2 are always willing to help.

Bob
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:56 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Get a look at the maintenance records. That isn't much in terms of mileage for that aged coach - these are made to move, not sit. Also check the hours on the generator - - and maintenance records should also be examined.

I assume the asking price is a point to start negotiations?

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:45 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Joe,

Welcome to the Forum 12.5 K isn't many miles. Some other things you should probably look into. Where has the coach been stored? If not in a heated storage unit, has heat been run in the coach during the winter? Have there been any leaks? If so, where? How was the coach winterized? Do a test drive and listen for wind noise, esp. whiseling (sp). We have some friends that bought an '03 and have had a windshield leak. Go up top and look at the seams. If they adhesive is curling, have them redone. But, by all means, look at the service and repair records. Good Luck, post often and hope to see you down the road.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:21 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Joe,

Welcome to a great website, and if I may say so, the best forum.

Patty and I took the BIG leap almost 4 years ago. We haven't been able to see all 50 states yet . Your family will have a great time.

I would certainly check the tires. You might need to purchase 6 new tires if they haven't been replaced. Keep that in mind when negotiating the price of the coach.

I'll agree with everyone else, maintenance would be a big issue....oil changes, filters, lubrication on the chassis, drive train, and front hubs.

There are some very knowledgeable people here (not me). Ask away
Old 02-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #7

Joe R,

If you provide me with an email address, I will send you a PDI checklist that I prepared to take possession of my 2006 Alpine Coach. I created this PDI checklist after learning the hard way what to look for after owning a 2001 Alpine Coach for 5 1/2 years. Good luck with your potential purchase.
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:07 AM   #8

Joe,
Welcome to IRV2 and the ACF. Like Tom, I am not the best one to ask questions of but there are many here that are very knowledgeable about what to look for in a used coach. I agree with the others, sitting is probably the worst thing for a coach, check the tires, look for leaks, check the maintenance records if any.

Good luck with your purchase and your trip. Post often and let us know how things go
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:13 AM   #9

Thanks to Everyone, Yes I had the similar concerns, I remember selling my mothers car... It was a 1980 Subaru with only 12,000 miles on it, and it was 1992 it was the "little old lady who only drove it to the grocery store twice a week, and to church on Sunday car", it also had a rotted out exhaust, and dry-rotted tires!
I will PM Dale, with my e-mail.
How about professionals who check out motor homes? If there is not a business like that, there needs to be. Professional RV Inspections could be a great business.
Thanks to everyone again, keep suggestions coming.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:15 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Joe,

Check out this thread. Mike had a tech download engine data. It gave him a lot of good info.

LOOK AT THIS LINK
Old 02-21-2008, 06:56 AM   #11

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
Joe R , Welcome to iRv2.com
Old 02-21-2008, 07:29 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome Joe R:

I also have a 2001, 38 ft Alpine. I have had a few small problems nothing big in the 7 years we have had the Alpine. I would also suggest that you take it to a professional and have it looked at. Have the tires inspected and if they are 7 years old REPLACE them with some good tires. Even though they have tread and look good the environment will cause a lot of damage over time. Have the batteries inspected and checked for age. Both of these will work but may be on there last legs. I would also suggest you join FMCA or Good Sam and get their towing insurance because we can not change the tires on something this big. Even though I have not had to call them in seven years it is insurance. Have fun and enjoy your travels your children will always remember the good times. If you have any questions please post them and we will attempt to help you. AlpineDriver@MSN.COM
Dave Fernandez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Joe,

Welcome to our Forum! You have gotten excellent advice so far, and I really don't have anything to add. I thought the thread Tom posted was excellent, and I would emphasize that you not forget the generator. If it hasn't been used much, you need to get it checked out carefully as well.

Good luck with your hunt for the perfect rig for your family to enjoy your US tour! I can't think of a better way to see this wonderful country of ours!

Please let us know how it goes for you with this coach, or whichever one you end up with, and then be sure to let us know how the trip goes!
gjstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #14

Probably also need to change the belts B4 going outa town, and unless there are good receipts for coolant changes- get full coolant system service including new thermostat.
The PacBrake on the 01's was installed w/the butterfly valve pivot in the vertical position; this should be rotated to 45 degrees and the appropriate lube job done on the butterfly pivots. I suspect a coach that has sat so peacefully may have some rusting of the pivot so the brake won't work well till freed up.