Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2019, 06:38 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
Luxury Vinyl Plank - LVP

We are doing an assortment of upgrades to our Apex. One of the items is to add LVP flooring to the coach - except bedroom area. Seems simple enough to just lay it over the existing tile floor as that is a good solid surface. The question is about the shower area. Since this is a heated floor - will covering it with LVP cause any problems? If all we loose is the heat feeling - no problem since LVP is not as cold in the morning as tile is. Appreciate any thoughts, ideas or suggestions. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2019, 11:49 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Bob, are you going to put LVP in the main living area, if so you need to check the slide clearance over the floor. Since you have the beta Apex I am not sure I know what you have for flooring or slide clearance.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:14 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
We did pull up the carpet and replaced the padding with 3/8 plywood and then LVP over that and the the tile section in the kitchen. No issues at all with the slides. We are now thinking about LVP all the way back to the bedroom for a more balanced look.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
We did pull up the carpet and replaced the padding with 3/8 plywood and then LVP over that and the the tile section in the kitchen. No issues at all with the slides. We are now thinking about LVP all the way back to the bedroom for a more balanced look.

So you put LVP straight over the existing tile? Any height difference between the 3/8” ply and tile sections? No scrapes on the LVP from the slide?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:04 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Foretravel Owners Club
The pad under the carpet in the living area was 3/8 inch. The ceramic tile is also 3/8" so the plywood matched the height of the the tile perfectly. The LVP we used was about 1/4" thick with its attached pad. There is no contact, scraping, etc on either of the front slides. We stopped the LVP at the back end of the kitchen. Since the floor in the shower and toilet is heated - thought maybe better not to cover it up.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatgifts View Post
The pad under the carpet in the living area was 3/8 inch. The ceramic tile is also 3/8" so the plywood matched the height of the the tile perfectly. The LVP we used was about 1/4" thick with its attached pad. There is no contact, scraping, etc on either of the front slides. We stopped the LVP at the back end of the kitchen. Since the floor in the shower and toilet is heated - thought maybe better not to cover it up.

Bob, do you have any pictures of the install process? During and finished would be awesome. I’ll send you my email address if it’s easier to send that way.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Bob, are you going to put LVP in the main living area, if so you need to check the slide clearance over the floor. Since you have the beta Apex I am not sure I know what you have for flooring or slide clearance.

Dr. Dave, you are always a wealth of knowledge. Do you know if my Limited would have different clearances on the slides? I would love to do the same thing Bob did for simplicity, but don’t want to gouge the floors bringing the slides in and out.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:20 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Dr. Dave, you are always a wealth of knowledge. Do you know if my Limited would have different clearances on the slides? I would love to do the same thing Bob did for simplicity, but don’t want to gouge the floors bringing the slides in and out.

Tommy, you need to measure the clearance and the thickness of the flooring. Then you can determine if you could have issues when I replaced our carpet I put in manufactured flooring and was concerned so I reached out to Newmar, they have pads that you can get to cover the floor as you extend and retract the slides protecting the flooring.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vinyl