Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:41 PM   #1

I've searched the forum but not found exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like to find a list or lists that itemize suggested items/accessories to bring along, and a list of procedures for your first "set-up" at an RV park and "breakdown" before leaving for your next destination.

Thanks, Rick Coleman

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2006, 12:41 PM   #2

I've searched the forum but not found exactly what I'm looking for. I'd like to find a list or lists that itemize suggested items/accessories to bring along, and a list of procedures for your first "set-up" at an RV park and "breakdown" before leaving for your next destination.

Thanks, Rick Coleman

Old 06-27-2006, 01:57 PM   #3

Rick- Coupla thoughts (available @ most RV supply centers unless otherwise noted):
1) Electrical adapters- 50amp->30amp, and 30A->20A.
2) RV TP.
3) Potable water hose (white, listed as for use w/potable water).
4) Propane adapter & hose (if you BBQ w/propane next to coach). Bring grill too.
5) Sewer hose & adapters.
6) 110V outlet polarity checker (to make sure park's outlets are wired safely). Home Depot, Lowes or hardware store for this.
7) Tools, glue, velcro, assortment of nuts, bolts & screws to fix what falls off/apart, stainless steel safety wire. Same source as #6, except try Ace's Pilot Shop or motorcycle shop for SSS-wire.
8) Good flashlight.
9) Big sweaty wad of money.
10) Relaxed, casual attitude. Life is good.
Not actually in order of importance (#9 is most important IMO for survival, followed by #10 for sanity).
Old 06-27-2006, 02:32 PM   #4

Engr Mike- Thanks, that's a good start. I finally found a 36MDDS and we pick it up next week. It's a "new" '05, so I expect all the de-bugging I have read about for months. My wife and I are approaching this with lots of trepidation and excitement, considering we've never owned an RV before. I'm sure #'s 9 & 10 are at the top of the list. In spite of my endless research and reading, there isn't any substitute for hands on experience. I'm a pretty good wrench, but electrical things are not my suit. I'm still looking for other lists, including "set-up" and "break-down".

The members of this forum have an amazing wealth of experience to impart to newbies, and it is most appreciated.

Thanks, Rick
Old 06-27-2006, 02:43 PM   #5

Rick, not knowing your destination I would do my best to employ a WRV mechanic. This way you may have a chance of reaching your destination.
Just kidding.
Note: if you get one to go along please forward his name & phone number.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #6

Rick,
I notice you live in So. California. If you need service check into Saddleback RV at their new RV facility in Colton. My Foretravel buddies are raving about how modern it is and how well their work got done. Best of luck. You bought a great motorhome.

Jack
Old 06-27-2006, 03:31 PM   #7

There won't be enough $ left to employ anyone. I will be refining my mechanical talents. We a talking about a short 2-3 day trip no more than 100-150 miles from home. No time for more right now.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:45 PM   #8

In addition to above items, may want to take along:
An assortment of 12V automotive fuses (5,10,15,20, etc.)
Something to cover your shoes (throw away shower caps?) when refueling along with a pair of fueling gloves.
Jack pads if expecting to park on soft earth
An assortment of hand tools
Cordless drill w/assortment of drill bits w/philips and square head drivers
4' L 2x4 (encourgement for slow storing leveling jacks)
Old 06-27-2006, 07:02 PM   #9

I would include an inexpensive VOM meter for checking 12 volt circuits for power, or lack thereof. I also bought a square drive screwdriver, in addition to the cordless drill square drive bit. Lots of opportunities to tighten screws inside the coach. Most are square drive.

As for the original question about setting up and breaking down "camp", I try to keep it simple. Disconnect the toad, park the coach, level the coach, double check for slide clearance, check to make sure the cat isn't behind the slides, put out the slides, connect the shore power, and fill the water tank if necessary. I often do not connect the sewer hose until I need to dump. I usually run off the water tank, not the city water, and don't leave the dump valves open. (Personal preference from the old days of dry camping with the Class C. No holding tank guages, so I based the time to dump as being when the water tank was empty.) I don't have the residential fridge, so I leave it on auto so it will switch between propane and 120v when plugged in.

Then the important stuff, like booting the Tivo and finding the satellite!

Breaking down I usually dump the holding tanks, disconnect shore power and water, retract the slides, and store the jacks. Then start the engine, warm it up, and boogie. Depending on the park, I might connect the toad when still parked or after I pull out. And then check the lights on the toad. Then double check all the storage bays to make sure all the doors are latched and locked. First turn/speed bump/stop will show you what you forgot to tie down or put away inside the coach.

I haven't needed the 2x4 to motivate the jacks yet in 2 1/2 years, but it is a good idea to have it just in case.

Most of all, remember EngineerMike's #10.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:25 PM   #10

Rick,

Also, in addition to refining your mechanical talents, you will probably be refining your electrical talents, or be going through that big sweaty wad of money!

Seriously, I love my coach, and haven't had any major mechanical issues. Don't let us scare you too much! I have never been stranded or needed emergency help. Just have phone numbers ready for if/when you do.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:00 PM   #11

Rick:

If you get 75 miles into that 150 mile trip, and realize you forgot COLD BEER........ Turn around and go back, the rest of the trip will be worthless.

Walt

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:16 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
If the cold beer is in the refrigerator, put the coach on cruise control, straighten the wheel, jump up, run back get the beer, and come sliding back into the drivers seat 9.75 seconds later........whew . Just kidding I leave the beer and get a diet coke !

On the slide part, TRIPLE check for clearance and also check cabinet doors inside near the slide, making sure they are closed. I know that from experience

Departing, I do the outside prep and Patty is in charge of the inside. She checks all the cabinets, counters, and sliding doors to make sure they are secure. I walk around outside twice, looking up and down and checking all the basement doors, not just the latches but pulling on the botttom of the doors also. I also always check the air pressure in all the tires, coach and toad. I triple check the toad too.

Congrats on the purchase. Check out our SoCal Alpine Club http://www.alpinesocal.com/. We have a Rally coming up September 8th at the Wine Country RV Resort in Paso Robles. More info to follow. We will have a great time and you will meet lots of wonderful people. http://www.winecountryrvresort.com/index.html

Jim, I like the cat part. We haven't made that mistake yet, and hope we never do.

Sometimes in place of Engineer Mike's #9 we use a well worn credit card. Let's see, which one is good this month
Old 06-28-2006, 12:38 PM   #13

Thanks to everyone who has responded. What a lot of helpful information from a great group.
Keep it coming! ....and an extension of this thread: any good recommendations of a place in the L.A. area to purchase Blue Ox tow equipment? I haven't found a responsive party to install the Blue Ox wiring kit in my Jeep Wrangler toad. Based on everyone's input Engineer Mike's #9 is smokin' and I haven't even taken delivery!!
Old 06-28-2006, 03:10 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome Rick:

I am happy you finally found an Alpine to purchase. As for the Blue Ox, Acacia RV in Colton CA 909-824-9674, can provide the tow bar and can install the tow equipment on the Jeep. They have several Alpine So Cal owners as customers. We hope to see you at one of our Rallies.

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote