Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2008, 02:06 AM   #1

The male end of my power cord (the part that plugs into the pole) is cracking and I want to replace it. I ordered the part, but I want to make sure that what I plan to do is correct.

In order to remove the old head, I was going to use a hacksaw just below the head. I would expect to find 4 wires... black, red, white and green. I would think the black and red would go to the side prongs, the green is ground and would go to the round prong at the top, and the white is the neutral and goes to the bottom prong. I would also seal all places where water might get in with silicone.

Any flaws or "gotchas" in there?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2008, 02:06 AM   #2

The male end of my power cord (the part that plugs into the pole) is cracking and I want to replace it. I ordered the part, but I want to make sure that what I plan to do is correct.

In order to remove the old head, I was going to use a hacksaw just below the head. I would expect to find 4 wires... black, red, white and green. I would think the black and red would go to the side prongs, the green is ground and would go to the round prong at the top, and the white is the neutral and goes to the bottom prong. I would also seal all places where water might get in with silicone.

Any flaws or "gotchas" in there?
Old 08-01-2008, 02:09 AM   #3

I use this website for wiring.http://www.myrv.us/electric/

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:33 AM   #4

Sounds like a solid plan to me. One suggestion, instead of silicone, which is notorious for not adhering tightly to certain materials, I use Goop-RV. Read the directions closely then make your own decision; Goop-RV is really great stuff for certain things, like this, but do not allow it to contact your EPDM roof covering or some plastics, bad things happen.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:51 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
If your going to replace the plug with one of the ones that have a handle for easy removel... Make sure it will FIT THROUGH the bay access opening.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:00 AM   #6

Recently bought 50A plug at Lowes to make a power pedestal tester.
http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/tester_50amp.htm

The plug is well constructed and has wiring instructions included. I used JB weld on interior part of clamp area to help the screws secure it to the cable.
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:05 AM   #7

Frankie... thanks for the link to the www.myrv.us website... that's interesting. Acccording to that writeup it sounds like when you plug in to a 50 amp outlet you actually get 100 amps (12000 watts @ 120 V). I have to think about that one.

Ray... I use Goop-RV (or RV Goop)... good stuff... I wouldn't have thought of using that for this... thanx for the suggestion

Rick... I actually did measure the hole when I ordered the part (from http://www.pplmotorhomes.com). It's close. But the one with the handle was on sale and apparently better quality than the one without the handle. I decided if it didn't fit I'd trim the handle.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:59 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Acccording to that writeup it sounds like when you plug in to a 50 amp outlet you actually get 100 amps (12000 watts @ 120 V). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed you do get 100 amps total.

If you look at the circuit breakers on 50 amp service, there will be two.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:09 AM   #9

True, each leg of the circuit does provide 50 amp capacity, as is indicated by the circuit breaker. However.....the #6 white common wire is only rated for 50 amps total, not 100 amps.

A continuous 100 amp load could, and probably would, cause overheating of the common.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:27 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The 120 volt legs are out of phase with each other, so the neutral does not carry over 50 amps.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:42 AM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
As Dirk said, L1 and L2 are 180 degrees out of phase - that's why a voltmeter reading L1-L2 will indicate 240VAC RMS. This means the neutral leg current is subtractive, not additive. Therefore, if both L1 and L2 are carrying 50 amps, neutral leg current is 50 - 50 = 0 amps. The maximum neutral leg current would occur when one hot leg was carrying 50 amps and the other 0 amps. In that case, neutral leg current is 50 - 0 = 50 amps.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:02 AM   #12

Not to hijack this thread but does anybody have an idea where I can get the female 50 Amp end?
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 07:17 AM   #13

Appalachian Campers
RVUpgrades carries them, click here.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #14

Thanks Hitch.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote