Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:06 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome Oldforester:

Welcome to the Forum, sorry to hear about your HWH problems. Since your Alpine is in Palm Springs I thought I would let you know that there is an Authorized HWH dealer in Colton CA off of I-10 about 60 miles from Palm Springs. Acacia RV & Performance, 295 North Hermosa Street, Colton, CA 92324, (909) 824-9674. They should be able to help I know they have repaired my HWH a couple of times.

Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2006, 08:43 AM   #16

Hi,
As an owner of a 2002 36 MDDS I would like to know if there is anything specific to the HWH system that keeps RV repair shops from going with hydralic hoses made up locally. Local hydralic repair shop would be my first choice to have repairs made even if it was under warranty. Also, there is sheathing that is available at these repair shops to avoid abrasion and heat. I suspect, (only from what I read) that the hoses are not up to spec and that can easily be determined by a qualified tech at that same hydralic repair shop.
Merry Christmas to all!

Old 12-24-2006, 09:10 AM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Beagle RC Air:

I do not know if a hydraulic repair shop would have the correct fittings or hose you can try. If it were under warranty I would stick with HWH hose since HWH could possibly not warranty any further problems claiming that the hydraulic repair shop did some thing wrong and caused new the failure.

If you want to put heat shielding over the hose do what custom car builders do they use heat shielding over hoses and cables such as what this company offers.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:19 AM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beagle RC Air:
Hi,
As an owner of a 2002 36 MDDS I would like to know if there is anything specific to the HWH system that keeps RV repair shops from going with hydraulic hoses made up locally. Local hydraulic repair shop would be my first choice to have repairs made even if it was under warranty. Also, there is sheathing that is available at these repair shops to avoid abrasion and heat. I suspect, (only from what I read) that the hoses are not up to spec and that can easily be determined by a qualified tech at that same hydraulic repair shop.
Merry Christmas to all! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 12-24-2006, 10:08 AM   #19

Not a very good start here this morning, Can't seem to get the spelling on 'hydraulic' right. 30 years of spelling 'hydraulic' didn't seem to teach me much.

If slide hose failure is prevelant in other manufacturers of rv's then it could be product failure. But, if it is a problem with WRV coachs for the most part,then it points to installation problems.
I am not willing to wait for all the ordering and shipping to happen when there is another way. If I had a bad set of tires on an rv I would not go back to the same manufacturer for my next set.
My contention here is there is a lot of hydraulic shops that can analysis these problems and set me up with a quality installation and get me back on the road.
If the weather ever breaks here in Washington our slide hoses are going to get a good inspection.
There is a group of numbers on these hoses that will tell what SAE spec they comply to. If there is this set of numbers then they can be made up locally. NAPA parts stores, marine suppliers are just a few of the places where hoses can be custom built.
Cheers!
Old 12-24-2006, 10:53 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Beagle RC Air:
Hi,
As an owner of a 2002 36 MDDS I would like to know if there is anything specific to the HWH system that keeps RV repair shops from going with hydralic hoses made up locally. Local hydralic repair shop would be my first choice to have repairs made even if it was under warranty. Also, there is sheathing that is available at these repair shops to avoid abrasion and heat. I suspect, (only from what I read) that the hoses are not up to spec and that can easily be determined by a qualified tech at that same hydralic repair shop.
Merry Christmas to all! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It isn't a problem with your coach (we have the same one) it is a problem with the 2006s as they put the hoses for the BACK slide which is now hydraulic across the top of the radiator which causes blistering and failure of the hoses. Audrey and John have posted pictures of the final fix for their coach last summer.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 02:51 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
There seems to be two different problems. One is the placement of the hoses too close to the radiator, which blisters the lines. The other was my problem, where the fitting blows off the end of the hose. The shop that worked on my hose said they had seen other HWH failures on other RV products. HWH tells me that they would have to see the hose-end and fitting to determine whether it was them or WRV who put the fitting on the hose....it appears that WRV actually makes some of their own hoses with HWW parts.

My cost to repair one fitting/hose was $344.69, but that included 3 cans of degraser and the time the shop spent cleaning up the mess around the radiator along with removing and reinstalling the panel to get at the problem. HWH won't reimburse those costs and appears to only plan on reimbursing me about half of the total repair bill.....which I haven't yet received.

I hope this one is behind me. I got it all cleaned up and waiting for DRR.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:31 AM   #22

Thanks to Dave Fernandez for recommending the RV shop in Colton. I actually have an HWH certified techician working on this issue for me in Palm Springs. He is an independent contractor who works on a lot of RVs in Outdoor Resorts, where I'm staying. He was able to directly call HWH and order the new hose and speak to them about the issue.

I agree with TerryM; there are two problems. The first was my hose blowing off the fitting, which was a WRV hose. This time, it was an HWH hose with their part number that is blistering (but not yet failed). We are replacing it because of fear of failure on the next slide retraction. It is sitting on top the radiator.

I did not see John and Audrey's fix on this issue. Did they put some sort of heat shielding between the hose and the radiator, or did they move the hoses somehow? Can anybody answer that for me?

Thanks--
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:29 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
When the hose blew on our wardrobe slide this summer WRV sent me new hoses and a plastic shield. When these items were installed the technician also brought most of the excess hose length and the speed control valve over to the top of the battery compartment which made a lot of sense to me.
toad 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:14 AM   #24

Jerry Davis,

Thanks for the recommendation on running the excess hose across in front of the engine and over to the battery compartment. We will try to do that when we replace this hose. I also found Audrey and John's website and saw the pictures of their heat shield.

I called WRV and they are sending me a heat shield kit. Don't know why they didn't come with the hoses when they were replaced by the dealer in November. So when we get back to Palm Springs next week we should be able to install both in time for DRR.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:24 PM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Audrey & John:
So your fittings failing perhaps started before you had the "fix" done at the factory?

We have inspected our lines since the last fix was done. About 2500 miles and 3 months later we took the radiator cover off and had a really good look. No apparent leaks and the lines, etc., looked fine. We did have to replace a screw (glad we checked).

I guess I'm still a little nervous.

Audrey </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, my wardrobe slide hose blew yesterday driving north on Hwy 5. I looked in the mirror and could see the slide out 2-3 inches. Took a while but was able to find the bleed off nut and push the slide back into place.
Audrey, I see you removed the radiator cover to inspect the hose. Is this also the procedure to replace the hose?
Where dose the hose start and end? Is this easy to change by a regular guy with a set of wrenches?
Any body?
Thanks for any advise.
Dan
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 06:44 PM   #26

MuleSkinner:

Were you driving north of Sacramento on I5 yesterday? I saw a white and brown Alpine going north while we were driving South and wondered if that might be you.

In our 2006 36 MDDS, we have two 192" hoses over the radiator leading to the the two scissor rams that extend the wardroom slide. These are the hoses we have replaced and are now replacing one of them again. We are also installing the heat sheild material this time and fastening the hoses to the bedroom floor.

Replacing these hoses it tricky. It took the dealer 10 hours to replace both last time (about 5 weeks ago). The rear hose is easier because the slide can be extended and you can access the ram from the carpet cover under the wardrobe. The front ram requires snaking the hose up the ram with the slide extended and hooking it up with the slide partially retracted, so that you can get to the ram between the slide and the shower. This requires hooking and unhooking hoses a couple times. Watching this, the front ram is tougher than the rear. Neither is a lot of fun.

We are replacing the hose next week in Palm Springs, adding the heat shield material, and re-routing the hose from the top of the radiator to a cooler location, ideally over toward the battery compartment. Fortunately I have an HWH technician helping me.

In any case, I think you will at least need some help if you do it yourself. It's a little tricky.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:25 PM   #27

Oldforester,
I was coming from California City heading to San Jose.
Sounds like a good time to use my Extended Warrantee. Do you know who would be best to have do this job in the Bay Area?
Thanks for the tip.
Dan
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:55 AM   #28

Looks like it was another Alpine Coach we saw on I5. We're currently in San Francisco visiting our son, but leaving for Palm Springs tomorrow.

I don't know who in the Bay Area to use for this task. If you're on extended warranty you might want to call HWH and ask them about certified technicians or dealers in your area, so you won't have warranty issues.