Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2007, 08:42 AM   #43

Yesterday I got the HWH technician who installed the third new hose on our wardrobe slide to help me install the heat shield I received from Mike Glazier. We routed the lines up to the bedroom floor at that time, and at least 2" away from the radiator. We removed the grille on the radiator and found that the new hose he installed two weeks ago was leaking a couple drops, right behind where the fitting joins the hose.

The slide has been retracted and extended once since we installed the hose, and the coach was driven about 10 miles total to fill up with fuel before going to DRR Thursday. It barely got a chance to get warm, and the hose is well away from the radiator.

We elected to wait on installing the heat shield until we make sure this hose doesn't continue to leak; that the one or two drops we found wasn't some residual from pressurizing the line. So we will take it to DRR and back to Palm Springs and look at it again before we install the heat shield, in case we need to get another hose.

We are becoming of the opinion that it's not primarily a heat issue but rather a hose issue, since this leak has occurred basically with the coach sitting still.

I'll let the group know what happens after DRR in case we put on a 4th new hose. It may be that HWH is having a hose manufacturing problem.
Former Owner, 2005 Tioga 31M and Arctic Fox 22GQ
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2007, 05:10 PM   #44

For whatever its worth, the hyd hose on my coach is PARKER HANNIFIN PARFLEX PDH-2, Rated 6000 PSI max working pressure, -40 TO +212 DEG F Temperature Range, 0.140" I.D., 0.34" O.D., 24,000 PSI Min Burst Pressure, 1/2" Min Bend Radius, Use Parker Series 58 Crimp Fittings.
Generally, premature hose failure is the result of inexperienced or careless hose assemblers and/or incorrect/worn dies or incorrect fittings used in the assembly.
BTF
05 40FDQS
bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:10 PM   #45

Just an update to let the group who's having hydraulic hose leaks on their 2005-2006 Double Slides know (especially those we met at DRR) what's happening in our perpetual hydraulic hose situation with our wardrobe slide.

After returning to Palm Springs from DRR, we had leaking hoses on the two bedroom slide cylinders we didn't replace a few weeks ago. These leaking hoses were originally replaced in November. These hoses were routed up to the wardrobe floor and close to the grille, 4 inches or more from the radiator after the replacement of the blistered hose a few weeks ago.

The hoses were cool to the touch, both when we arrived at DRR and when we returned to Palm Springs. They are not getting a lot of heat because they are well above and closer to the cool outside air than the radiator. They are not significantly warmer than my body temperature when I touch them after these 140-mile drives, with engine coolant temperatures around 195 degrees.

Additionally, the hoses I'm talking about were beginning to show some swelling, like early blisters, behind the swaged fittings, where they were dripping a few drops.

We have ordered new hoses to replace these two and will see how it goes after they are replaced. Again, we don't think it's a heat problem because the hoses are cool and away from the radiator. Once we get the hoses to stop leaking we will add the heat shield as additional protection.

So, problem not solved, but at least I can watch and touch the hoses while we keep trying to find the fix. We will see how the new hoses perform and keep in touch with the group on the hose performance.

We have communicated with WRV and they are working very well with us on solving this problem. Mike Glazier, once again, is extremely helpful in this work.

For what it's worth--
Old 01-25-2007, 03:11 AM   #46

Has anyone thought about the SIZE of the hoses, are we using hoses too small to handle our hydrolic fluids? Haven't asked WRV or HWH this question, but it might be worth pursuing. Any thoughts on this?
-dale
E & D Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:18 PM   #47

Our hoses have all been replaced and the heat shield installed. I plan on testing them out this next week.
I'll let you know.

Hope to have this one behind me.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #48

Mule Skinner,
Good luck, let us know how it goes
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:41 PM   #49

A little update for those with wardrobe slide hydraulic leaks, and who may have been following our postings on this site. We replaced two of our hoses again today in Palm Springs. These hoses were not the ones replaced before we went to DRR. These were found leaking after we got back from DRR. All these hoses were replaced in November, so this is now the 3rd set of hoses on the coach.

These hoses from HWH had a different colored fitting. They were silver colored; as if they had no paint coating or anodization on them. Perhaps they made a change in the fitting or the process.

We decided to put the new 24" heat shield over the hoses but not fasten the hoses to the wardrobe floor for a week. I am going to run the wardrobe slide in and out a couple times a day for the next week and see how it works, and if we get a leak. We will not start the engine, so there will be no heat involved. Perhaps this will settle the hose vs. heat issue.

Assuming the hoses don't leak after a week of this test, we will fasten the hoses to the wardrobe floor again, away from the radiator, with the new heat shield over the fittings.

We have a 280 mile round trip to Malibu Beach scheduled next weekend, after we re-fasten the hoses to the wardrobe floor, and at trip to Austin, TX, in late February for a couple weeks. Each time after we get back we will lift the radiator grille and see if we have any leaks.

Hopefully, this will be behind us.

I'll let the group know how this goes.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #50

keeping my fingers crossed for you
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:08 PM   #51

Another update on our wardrobe slide hydraulic issue following my Feb. 2 message in this thread. As I stated earlier, after installing the 2 new hoses this time, we left the new heat shield over the hoses/fittings but didn't secure it so I could test it for a week while sitting in the RV park.

I did not start the engine, but ran the slide in and out twice a day for seven days and then we looked for leaks. We were happy to see we had no leaks this time, so we slid the heat shield over the hoses and re-fastened the hoses up to the floor. Hopefully, the 3rd time's the charm with this set of hoses. As I said earlier, the fittings on these hoses did look a little different, so maybe there's been a change.

We are taking a 2 week trip to Texas (about 2600 miles round trip) beginning next week, and after we get back, we are going to cut the zip ties on the heat shield and re-look at the fittings to make sure they're still not leaking.

In the meantime, here's how the hoses look secured to the floor, nest to the outside grille, and 4" to 10" away from the radiator, along with the heat shield installed over the fittings. Not sure if I uploaded these pictures correctly; they're in the photo gallery if they didn't load correctly, under my "OldForester" name.

Heat Shield and Hose Clearance From Radiatior

Heat hield installed covering the fittings
Old 03-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #52

This is an update to the hydraulic hose issue (see above). We took the 2600 mile round trip to Texas over the last few weeks, and back to Palm Springs.

We released the zip ties holding the heat shield in place over the 3rd set of new HWH hoses (see picture in message above), and found no leaks! We had extended the slides about a dozen times on this trip, and had some very warm - 95 degree ambient temperatures over the last 1 1/2 weeks.

I really think the new silver-colored fittings on the new hoses from HWH have made a difference, or at least something must have changed in the process of attaching the fittings to the hoses. Perhaps the 3rd time's the charm.

In any case, we reinstalled the heat shield over the fittings and hopefully have this hydraulic issue behind us.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #53

Sorry for the delay. No news is good news. Our slide is working fine. I hope the hoses hold up over time.
For now, I'm going fishin'
Dan
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote