Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2014, 04:17 PM   #1

Manually Extending Slide

Hello - Is there a way to manually extend the slide on a 1999 Alpine? My HWH hydraulic button is not responding. I thought opening the hydraulic valves would do it but want to make sure. Thank you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #2

Gunna be tough w/out hydraulic pressure, but you can probably open the extend valve & push on the floor of the slide at both front & back, close that valve & open the retract valve, push on both ends to close or use the retract ratchet.

Could just be a bad switch. I have one going out sporadically that I need to replace (I try to extend but it won't engage). right now I can get it to work by banging on it.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:27 PM   #3

Thanks Mike. I banged on the switch to no avail and the slide won't budge with manual pressure.

However, I did stumble across a solution. The HYD button does not turn on at all, but I noticed when I pressed the DUMP button some of the panel lights turn on; especially the room slide on switch. There was enough hydraulic pressure to move the slide out an inch. So, I ended up extending and retracting the generator slide to build pressure. Doing that and pressing the DUMP button while moving the slide out at the same time did the trick.

This RV is just full of joyful experiences!
Old 12-29-2014, 06:13 PM   #4

Check the multi-wire connection behind the key pad in the dash to ensure the key pad is properly connected. If you can open/close the genset slide, it sounds like the HWH pump/solenoids are working. Focus on getting the keypad working again. Be careful but you can release the pressure on the solenoids and pyhsically push pull the slides but you will need some buddies on the business end to do it.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
We recently had a similar problem. Slides would, stop and start retracting until slides were in. Jacks would not retract.

Chased the problem to a broken wire at the HWH panel connector on the console pull out.
1peddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #6

Do you have the floor control. Beside divers seat? Does your parking light come on dash when parking brake is on. My earlier coad had similiar problems. Seems like alot of mfg ran the ground wire to top of emr brake. Pad on floor also lit up saying parking brake not on. I just reach under dash and found ground wire mounted to top of emr brake and moved it around a little. Solved problem just a loose ground but keep jacks and slides from doing anything
tomusaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppie_rednk View Post
Thanks Mike. I banged on the switch to no avail and the slide won't budge with manual pressure.

However, I did stumble across a solution. The HYD button does not turn on at all, but I noticed when I pressed the DUMP button some of the panel lights turn on; especially the room slide on switch. There was enough hydraulic pressure to move the slide out an inch. So, I ended up extending and retracting the generator slide to build pressure. Doing that and pressing the DUMP button while moving the slide out at the same time did the trick.

This RV is just full of joyful experiences!
Sounds as if the switch contact that operates the pump has failed. That happened to me. If the gen slide switch is operating the pump then keep it pushed down after the slide is fully extended and then press the room slide extend switch at the same time. When the slide is fully extended release both switches. Do not let the pump operate for more than 10 seconds without a slide moving.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:45 AM   #8

Very clever--never thought of using the genset slide button to override the on/off button on the console. However, think it might be a rather unique situation where the on/off switch has failed, yet the room slide switches are working. Still--my compliments to the thought process!!!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
WRV is notorious for wiring issues, they left too much in some cases, too little in others. I had a wire break on my HWH panel because it was too short, I pulled a little out the harness and then re soldered it. Check your wiring harness before going too much further.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:19 PM   #10

The wiring/connector problem only seems to hit coaches with the pull out drawer. The early coaches had a hinged panel that did not suffer from this issue, although all the other problems are still there.
Old 01-02-2015, 01:40 PM   #11

Spartan Chassis
I had a broken wire on the plug to the HWH operator panel. Opening and closing door to operate the switches bends the wires and they do break. I also had the 12volt solenoid go out that's located the middle of the fuse box in front of the passenger seat that powers the pump for the slides. And the dog tripped the master switch located on the steps retrieving the ball. It's always an adventure and I love it.
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:45 PM   #12

Thank you everyone for responding to my question. After reading everyone's responses and calling HWH technical support, I ended up testing the power that comes into the 610 control panel. There is power. Looks like the board is bad. I'm going to replace the board next. Thanks again.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppie_rednk View Post
Thank you everyone for responding to my question. After reading everyone's responses and calling HWH technical support, I ended up testing the power that comes into the 610 control panel. There is power. Looks like the board is bad. I'm going to replace the board next. Thanks again.
I'm a little bit late to the party. I was having problems with slides, Jacks and parking brake. Consequently I found a small nut on the floor by the drivers seat. It took me a while but I found the nut and wire had come off one of the threaded posts on the back of the parking break push, pull switch. Reattach the wire and it solved all of the issues that I was having.
Simple fix for a complicated problem.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #14

The HWH control box will not extend the room slide if the jacks are not down and the parking brake is not set. A light should come on to indicate the brake is not set so I would be surprised if this had not lit up when the wire had fallen off the switch. Always pays to check the obvious first.

Tags
manual, slide