Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-27-2015, 12:12 AM   #1
Manually operate generator slide?

Hi there! We are on a cross country trip in our 2000 alpine coach and stopped in New Orleans. It smelled like burned electrical wires and now the generator slide won't open. We replace the burned out fuse and got the hydraulic light to come on but the room slide light will not come on nor will the generator slide light. Is there a way to manually open the generator slide so we can put diesel in the tank to make it home?

Wambaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #2
Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome to the IRV2 and Alpine Owners Forum.

It sounds like the HWH pump motor may have stop working. You might be able to move the gen slide by going to the HWH compartment located on the passenger side to the rear of the front tire. You will see the manifold, solenoids, pump and reservoir. The solenoids with the T handles are for the jacks. The smaller Solenoids with the small -inch nut operate the slides. There should be a diagram in the HWH compartment identifying which solenoids operate the Room Slide and the Gen Slide.

Once you have identified the proper solenoids for the Gen Slide, you can open the Solenoids using a -inch wrench/socket. (NOT MORE THAN 4 and turns or it could damage the solenoid) You must open both solenoids for the GEN Slide. You might be able to manually move the slide out enough to refuel. When this has happened to me, I was fortunate that there was enough residual pressure to move the Gen Slide out enough to refuel. I left the Slide out, disconnected the alarm button, left the slide out, and returned home for repair.

Wish you the best of luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2001 HWH Diagram.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	98509  

Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #3
My generator slide was out when my HWH motor quit. I was able to retract the generator slide by having my wife hold the retract button while I gave the motor a sharp rap with a hammer. When I rapped on the motor housing it would run for a few seconds. Three or four smacks and the slide was in. Then I replaced the motor.
2003 Alpine Coach 40MDTS - 400HP Cummins ISL
Can Am Spyder Roadster
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
Repairing the hwh motor

You might want to check the ground on the negative brush inside the HWH pump motor, its riveted to the end plate inside the motor's casing. I drilled the rivet out and replaced it with a bolt. Some of the early pump motors they bolted the negative ground to the end plate of the motor. I think they changed to a rivet around the year 2000, and changed back to a bolt when they found they where having to many problems with the motor. I fixed my motor 10 years ago. I'm still using the original motor after 150,000 miles. I have fixed a few motors and its always been the same problem,
FRED MASINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:23 PM   #5
I concur with Fred. I repaired mine several years ago the same way. It failed while I was traveling so I ordered a new one from HWH and replaced it while at Tahoe. Returned home and repaired original by grounding brush lead with a bolt instead of the rivet they used. Now have a spare. With few exceptions, every problem I have heard of with these motors over the years has been this ground issue.
'01 Alpine 36 FDDS
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote

generator, manual, slide