Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #1

Mapping software

I'm finding that Microsoft Streets & Trips does not work with my new 64 bit computer. One forum I went to confirmed this about S&T.
Has anyone come up with mapping software that will work with 64 bit computers? Anyone have experience with DeLorme software on a 64 bit computer?
Thanks.
David

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I have heard there are those that are running S&T 2011 on 64 bit computers. Don't know if this might help: Streets & Trips stops responding at the startup screen in Windows 7

BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #3

I am assuming you are running Windows 7. If you have Windows 7 Professional you can download XPMode and run Streets & Trips under that. If you don't have professional you can download Virtual PC and then install Windows XP, if you have a license, and then install Streets and Trips in the XP virtual machine. Sounds complicated, which it is, but I have done it with other software that only works with XP and it does work.
Microsoft would rather you spend the money to upgrade to Professional.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I'm confused (nothing new) but I have 2 - Windows 7 64-bit laptops both running S & T 2009 without any problems. It may have installed as what's called "x86" applications but regardless it works.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:03 PM   #5

I am also using a 64 bit laptop and running Windows 7 without a problem.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:56 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ditto for me. I'm using a Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7 Pro. and 2010 S&T. No problems. Works like it does on the XP Laptop. I havent triend the GPS yet, but that is coming.
Lee and Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshogman View Post
I'm finding that Microsoft Streets & Trips does not work with my new 64 bit computer. One forum I went to confirmed this about S&T.
Has anyone come up with mapping software that will work with 64 bit computers? Anyone have experience with DeLorme software on a 64 bit computer?
Thanks.
David
I am running windows7 64 bit and using 2007 MS S&T with no problems. In fact I like it better than a trial version I got resently. I'm not sure how I got it to work. I think I had the problem you are having when I tried to load it. I may have just copied the program from my old laptop and used the shortcut it had. Also may have used the X86.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #8

Forgot to mention that my S&T was 2008.
Thanks for all the info - I guess I just need to do a little more work getting it installed. Will use all your hints and ideas.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #9

Reading through the responses again and realized I don't know what folks are talking about with "X86." I do see that there are 2 program folders, the second one being X86. Can someone give me a clue where to look for an explanation or give me a quick explanation?
Thanks.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
CD

Quote:
Forgot to mention that my S&T was 2008.
Thanks for all the info - I guess I just need to do a little more work getting it installed. Will use all your hints and ideas.
First, do you have a back up of S&T from your old computor or another computor that is still in use? If so find the files and there should be one that is an application named "steets". Double click on that file and see if it opens the program. If so you can right click on that to get a drop down with "create shortcut". If you find all this, copy the complete S&T program to your new computor ( I put it in a folder named "Program files" that is right under Program files X86. You can create this folder by right clicking on "C" drive and new folder. After it is in the "C" drive right click on the file"streets" that is an "application" and create a shortcut and have it put on desk top. I think this is what I did. Hope this helps.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #11

I have the original disk as well as the install key so I should be able to load it from the disk - I guess.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
CD

Quote:
I have the original disk as well as the install key so I should be able to load it from the disk - I guess.
I wasn't able to load from the original disk. I copied the installed program files from the old computor and it worked as I discribed above.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #13

I am also running S&T 2010 on a computer running Windows 7. Not a hint of a problem installing from the DVD.

I did have to copy files as "CD" suggested on some other older programs as they would not install, but they run anyway. But I didn't need to do that for S&T. The only thing I could not get to work on the new computer was my flatbed scanner. The manufacturer does not offer a driver for Windows 7.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Microsoft Streets & Trips on Windows 7

To install Microsoft Streets & Trips on Windows 7-64bit:
1.) run the install program as you normally would
2.) after the program is installed -- right-click the desktop
shortcut and click the Compatibility tab
3.) Go Down to the bottom and under Privilege Level
put a check in: Run this program as an administrator
and then click the OK box
The program will now work but the GPS (most probably) will not. You will need a USB / Serial converter:
Go to: "http://gpsgate.com/download"
and download the "Free GpsGate Client for Windows"
4.) Install it and now your GPS will work in Windows 7 - 64 bit
Mine works great!!