Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #1

While I have a Garmin GPS running NavTeq software I worry that it will guide me down a narrowing road with a low bridge because it thinks I'm driving a car.
At the FMCA show, one company was touting their software that warned you about low bridges. It ran on a laptop PC. I can't remember the name. Anybody know who it is and more importantly, is it accurate?

Clark

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #2

While I have a Garmin GPS running NavTeq software I worry that it will guide me down a narrowing road with a low bridge because it thinks I'm driving a car.
At the FMCA show, one company was touting their software that warned you about low bridges. It ran on a laptop PC. I can't remember the name. Anybody know who it is and more importantly, is it accurate?

Clark

Old 02-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use Co-Pilot Laptop 9, version 10 is now available. So far it has been pretty accurate on routing. It tried to route us wrong one time in Cascade Locks, OR. I don't know about the low clearance warning as I haven't had any conflicts yet.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:03 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
We use Co-Pilot also. We have version 8. It too seems accurate. We run VMSpc on the same laptop. Co-Pilot has a low clearance, propane tunnel restriction, and a car or PV setting. Supposedly on the RV setting it adjusts the directions to accommodate the larger vehicle and turning radius.

We are happy with it!
Old 02-14-2008, 05:49 AM   #5

Clark, look on your Garmin in tools. It should allow you to switch from auto mode to truck mode. It won't send you down roads not capable of handling big trucks.

Fulltimers
Kent and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 07:12 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Yep, my Garmin Streetpilot 2620 has a "truck" option.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:00 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
A simple and FREE solution is to add the Low Clearance POI files to your Garmin.

The Low Clearance POI file and Garmin instructions are available at:

http://www.poi-factory.com/

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:06 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the Garmin nuvi 200W. I contacted Garmin and their software does not have low bridge clearance routing for trucks.

In "truck" mode the routing is designed to use only main streets and major highways. Even in this mode it will send you down a street trucks are not allowed if your destination is on that street.

The Low Clearance POI "TOM N" refered us to is the answer.

FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote