Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #1

Exclamation Master Cylinder upgrade 03 Alpine

Hi, I have a 2003 Alpine and would like any information you might have on upgrading the Master Cylinder. The 2003 is different from the system used in 2004 forward, what is the correct MC number, and where can I get it? I think I would like the 1-3/4" bore if available. My fluid tank is mounted on the firewall, remotely. Any help would be very appreciated. Ken
Ken L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 03:43 PM   #2

The upgrade discussed on this forum is to improve braking on the 04 and newer coaches with adjustable pedals. My 03 has the same MC as yours, which I think is also the same as the o4s and newer--but as you describe, the remote tank conversion plate [attached lines] appears to sit on the top of the MC. Careful when removing, there are some o-rings and a small "stop plunger" that sit on top of the MC.

Not sure what problem you are tyring to solve but if you havent already done so, I would go with a hydraulic fluid/filter change on the engine and a "wheels-off" flush [all 8 calipers] to relace the brake fluid in the system before looking at the MC "upgrade" for the 03....keep us posted...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome Ken to IRV2 and to the Alpine Coach Forum.

If your 2003 Alpine Brake Pedal goes through the Floor, it does not need the updated Master Cylinder. The Alpine’s what came with the adjustable Brake and Accelerator Pedal are the ones that owners are changing the master cylinder.

I would recommend that you flush the brake fluid on your Alpine if it has not been changed in the last couple of years.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:35 PM   #4

1 3/4 m/c

We just returned from 300 mile trip with upgraded M/C. Very worthwhile upgrade! Hated the orginal M/C. Takes a while to get use to the brake feel but I would never go back. PM me if you have questions or want to call.

beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:33 AM   #5

Beagle--see from your profile yours is a 2002--this one of the first non-adjust brake pedal models I have heard being converted. Did the remote reservoir conversion plate just fit on top of the new MC?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:38 AM   #6

remote reservoir

Couple of words of advice on the remote reservoir. Buy NEW M/C with remote plate installed. It can be changed but requires special tool and knowledge of the system. Buy new, the ones offered at low prices, I found to be rebuilt poorly. The parts store in Florida that is mentioned in long conversion post, knows the proper one to order based on original part number. Did I mention buy new? I tore down 2 of the ebay/amazon types and they were not very good quality. Differential switches were both broke off, also dirty on inside.

beagle
Old 03-19-2015, 10:32 AM   #7

Ken L.

New sounds good to me. Better braking sounds good to me also. My brakes work, I an trying to install a proportional valve to control the air pressure for the braking system on my new Wrangler Unlimited. As I was looking for information I found these threads about new Master Cylinders, sounded like a good thing to do in conjunction with the installation of the new valve. About 5 years ago I had the Hydraulic sys serviced and new Rando fluid installed. I also had the Brake system flushed and new brake fluid installed. I have to travel down a very steep hill to get off my property, the first time I use the brakes after sitting around the house for some time, it feels like maybe they might not stop me. They always do and after that they seem to be as good as designed, BETTER would be better.
I just have not been able to find a MC # that would be an exact replacement for my existing MC, one with the 1-3/4" bore. I am thinking "saving money" so I can put it in the Fuel Tank. Thank You, Ken
Old 03-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #8

Thumbs up

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/meri...nt-100835.html

Ken, the subject evolved some but this thread has lot of good information. I am considering new brake hoses, wish I had done them during the M/C conversion.
Call this evening if you have some questions.

beagle
Old 03-19-2015, 06:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken L. View Post
New sounds good to me. Better braking sounds good to me also. My brakes work, I an trying to install a proportional valve to control the air pressure for the braking system on my new Wrangler Unlimited. As I was looking for information I found these threads about new Master Cylinders, sounded like a good thing to do in conjunction with the installation of the new valve. About 5 years ago I had the Hydraulic sys serviced and new Rando fluid installed. I also had the Brake system flushed and new brake fluid installed. I have to travel down a very steep hill to get off my property, the first time I use the brakes after sitting around the house for some time, it feels like maybe they might not stop me. They always do and after that they seem to be as good as designed, BETTER would be better.
I just have not been able to find a MC # that would be an exact replacement for my existing MC, one with the 1-3/4" bore. I am thinking "saving money" so I can put it in the Fuel Tank. Thank You, Ken
Do you have an Alpine? Does it have air brakes? I thought they were all hydraulic.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #10

He does have hydraulic but you can still use your breaking for your toad by using the air compressor on the Alpine I have it on mine works perfect
Old 03-19-2015, 07:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytom View Post
He does have hydraulic but you can still use your breaking for your toad by using the air compressor on the Alpine I have it on mine works perfect
OK. Just using the Alpine compressor as the air source.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:40 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
To use the air from the Alpine for the toad, you must install a proportioning valve in the hydraulic brake system and tap into the air system on the Alpine for use on the toad. When you apply the brakes the proportioning valve allows air to the toad brakes.

I have used the M&G Engineering Brake system since 2001 with no problems. :thumbup:
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #13

Ken L.

Tinytom, You are a guy I want to talk to. Where did you connect to the brake system? I am thinking in the rear, at the frame to differential connection. I also wonder about the Air Connection, can I connect at the manifold that supplies the air bag air or is that not system air pressure? Also what is the system pressure? My new 2015 Wrangler info says I have to disconnect the battery before towing, any ideas on that? So you now have your work cut out for you, misery loves company. Ken PS. I am trying to do this myself-----------I know that's stupid but that is how I roll.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:21 PM   #14

Ken L.

Dave, That is what I propose to do, now that I know I do not have "Air over hydraulic brakes". Someplace, I got the impression my brakes were air over hydraulics-----------WRONG! Any way, the proportional valve is on it's way, and I am trying to advance think this installation. I am not sure about the Air sys. and what is what. In the front and rear there is a manifold that distributes air to the Air Bags. Is that System Air or something else? I think I might be able to pick-up the air at that manifold in the rear, if it is system air pressure??? It looks like I have a spare port there to use. Any ideas would be appreciated. Ken Anybody?????