RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #1

Mattress Replacement

All,

I found some older posts on replacing the mattress. I have a 40FDTS and the rear slide creates a clearance issue. Has anyone had any luck finding a good replacement mattress that will not cause any issues with the slide?

Thanks in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #2

Is it an RV short queen? Those are readily available. If it's an odd size, you might have to get one made by a custom shop.

steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 07:31 AM   #3

Tommy,

We replaced ours with a memory foam mattress, it sleeps great. I believe its just a standard king. The end of it goes under the counter and drawers just a couple of inches and there is no issue with blankets and comforter etc. It actually mashes against the drawers a little bit. I can get you a thickness measurement if you need one but like I said, it's standard king off the shelf.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:27 AM   #4

We just bought Tuft and Needle mattresses for both our home and MH. They're made out of foam and can be trimmed to fit (electric carving knife or bread knife) without too much trouble. You will, however have to re-fit the cover (a little hand-stitching should do). They're available online or at Lowes. Lowes doesn't carry the higher priced model, just the 10" thick model.

We've had them for a few weeks and so far they're great. It's nice to not have to adjust to a different mattress in the MH.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
Tommy,

We replaced ours with a memory foam mattress, it sleeps great. I believe its just a standard king. The end of it goes under the counter and drawers just a couple of inches and there is no issue with blankets and comforter etc. It actually mashes against the drawers a little bit. I can get you a thickness measurement if you need one but like I said, it's standard king off the shelf.

Terry
Terry,

I would love to know manufacturer and model, as well as the thickness measurement, if you have a chance.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:00 PM   #6

Tommy,

The mattress is 8 1/2Ē thick, I canít find a tag and I canít locate the receipt, if it shows up Iíll let ya know. It has a little bit of a top pad built into it and we use a mattress cover.

Like I said, it sleeps good, as good as our Temper Pedic in the house. I think the little bit of a topper and our cover keep it from being too warm. The fact that it sits on the bed platform makes it firm but comfortable.

Itís about 2Ē narrower than the platform but the length is the same, perfect fit.

Good luck, Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:35 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
We had a Beautyrest in ours but it was getting tired so we bought one at Seattle Mattress Company that's doing the job and same thickness.
2006 Alpine Apex M-40FDQS #75594
2014 Honda CRV w/navi
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:40 AM   #8

We replaced the mattress in our Alpenlite (King Size) with a memory foam mattress from Costco on-line. They had mattresses in varying thicknesses and as Bcam mentioned a memory foam mattress can be trimmed very easily with an electric bread knife!!

paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, mattress, replace, replacement