Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #1

What is a safe maximum water pressure coming into the coach? Most RV parks have over 100 psi and we use a regulator and it takes it down to about 45 psi. and the water pressure in the coach is good. However, we are at a park where the incoming pressure is about 70 psi and with the regulator on, it drops to about 40 psi and the volume seems to be low. Is it safe to have the water pressure coming in to the coach be as high as 75 or 80 psi?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2006, 09:50 AM   #2

What is a safe maximum water pressure coming into the coach? Most RV parks have over 100 psi and we use a regulator and it takes it down to about 45 psi. and the water pressure in the coach is good. However, we are at a park where the incoming pressure is about 70 psi and with the regulator on, it drops to about 40 psi and the volume seems to be low. Is it safe to have the water pressure coming in to the coach be as high as 75 or 80 psi?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:01 AM   #3

Gator 67, that is probably a question that none of us should answer. I, personally like about 55-60 PSI of water pressure. I usually use the water from our tamk and that is the pressure I have setup to come from the tank. I again, personally find this not to be a problem. I do not not know what testing pressure Alpine uses on their coaches so probaly a safe area to start is Alpine. Keep in mind that they are certainlly gong to keep themselves safe with a relatively low pressure. Mike & Dave are really pretty straight shooters and will give you an honest answer. I'll be interested in what other responses you receive. All my pressures are my choices and at no one's recommendations.
Ted & Carol
2005 Alpine 34'FDDS
2006 PT Cruiser GT
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 12:28 PM   #4

Gator67:

You may already know this, but in case you dont, there are two kinds of regulators. The inline type and the pressure regulator with a bell shaped diaphram attached.
If you have the first type you are going to have the problems you are describing. The second type is much more expensive, but works correctly. Very little flow reduction, only reduced pressure. first type costs $6.00 the second type costs as much as $30.00 but works perfectly.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #5

As far as maximum safe water pressure, I would consult the RV Manual for your RV. Generally, 40-45 psi is recommended.

When I am in a place that has low pressure, I add water to the tank and use the water pump. That works for us.

Art
agkcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:22 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Gator67...If you look at some of the new water pumps from Flojet and Shurflo, they produce 65 psi from the pump. I just put an adjustable regulator with gauge on my coach. It allowed me to dial the pressure up to 65 psi. I'm not willing to chance it past that, even though most coach plumbing is rated over 100 psi.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 09:06 AM   #7

I have the Vagabond pressure gauges, one before & one after the canister filters that come standard on the 06's. I get from 45-62 off the on-board pump. I don't run off city pressure, tho I read that when filling the tank thru the RO unit. I've gotten as high as 75psi when hooked up to park pressure; some parks will be higher. Generally city pressure systems vary based on the height of the tank above the park, or distance to the pressure pumps in flat areas. Pressure reducing stations are installed where line pressure would be >100-140 psi (depends on local politics & circumstnaces like topography & finances).
The lines in the coach are good for 150 psi or better. The fittings are where there would be any issue, barring freezing of water in the system (which will weaken whatever got froze, & you'll find it eventually). Fittings get tightened by those pesky humans, and can be over or under tight, either of which will cause issues (leaks). The fittings are mostly designed for similar pressures, under idealized installation, but YMMV due to inconsistent work. I'd be leary of running the coach upwards of 75 psi, and comfortable below, and wouldn't use a regulator below 75. Because I don't run the house off city pressure since installing the RO unit, I don't carry a regulator. When I did, it was a Watts unit purchased @ Home Depot, which was adjustable for desired output pressure.
As implied above, some "regulators" are really pressure reducers, and reduce pressure more or less proportionally, rather than cut off above a certain threshhold. These cheapies will make it difficult to take a shower if park pressure is low.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:02 PM   #8

Early model Alpines had built in pressure regulators of 50 psi (when they worked). For more on the subject see my post "Low Water Flow" of June 16, 2003. So 50 psi is certainly safe. With our 1999 50 psi works well using a home type pressure regulator (made by Wilkins - see my post).
gamaca015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:29 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
I'd be tickled pink if I got a park/line pressure of 100 psi. That suits the Vagabond system just fine - more production and better quality at that pressure.

Mike is right about the lines. In fact, the 3/8 inch lines on the Vagabond system are routinely used at 200+ psi on pumped systems.

The reducing valves included in the bulkhead fitting usually cause a problem after a while, so you're way better off to get a real "regulator".

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Hello & Welcome Jerry & Shirley:

Like Frank said you can get away without a Regulator. But if you want one do what I did I went to Home Depot and purchased a whole house pressure regulator ¾", and attached it to my filters. It is designed to flow water to an entire house so very little flow restriction I set the regulator at 75 PSI. The total cost for the fittings, regulator, pressure gauge cost about $50.00 and works great.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Good luck getting anyone at HD or Lowe's to acknowledge theat they have even heard of a "Whole house regulator". I lost count of the number of places we stopped at and ask about one. Finally got one for W.W. Grainger.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 09:18 AM   #12

Check out Low Water Flow for parts & availability. That was B4 I had the current coach w/whole-house RO.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:50 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Is there a built in water pressure regulator in the late model Alpine coaches? Somewhere past where water is hooked up at he bulkhead area?. I have an 05 and my wife is always complaining about pressure. Also, if you are hooked up to city water and you turn on the water pump the water pressure seems to increase. Are we "adding" to the city water or we simply pumping out of our tank and not using city water at all.

Jerry And Judy
05 36' FDDS
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote