Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
MCD Shades

I've decided to replace our day/night stock shades with day/nights from MCD and do the work myself. Before I tackle removing the valances, are there any tricks or shortcuts you can share?

As always, thanks in advance for sharing your experience!

Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I did all mine. MCD instructions say to install the shades with the valences in place ...NO WAY would I attempt that as I do not enjoy standing on my head with my hands outstretched at full length working in a small place.

I removed the oem shade (working one at a time). Then removed the valence to make it much easier to install the MCD clips, being careful to note which side the MCD shade in inserted into, and which side "snaps" it into place, and being careful to install ALL the clips in the same direction. Then I put the valence back in place, inserted the shade into the valence (with a tie in place around the shades not including the bracket makes it easier, but not absolutely required), popped the shade bracket into the clip on one end, then on the other, removed the tie if used, and it is done! On the shades over the table and couches I found it easiest to put my head against the window looking up (lie down on the table) while popping the shade into place.

If you get one installed too close to one end and the shade rubs on something, it is possible to slide the shade in the clips (without removing the shade) by prying/pushing on one end of the bracket. I had to do that on one windshield shade, and one window shade.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap
I did all mine. MCD instructions say to install the shades with the valences in place ...NO WAY would I attempt that as I do not enjoy standing on my head with my hands outstretched at full length working in a small place.

I removed the oem shade (working one at a time). Then removed the valence to make it much easier to install the MCD clips, being careful to note which side the MCD shade in inserted into, and which side "snaps" it into place, and being careful to install ALL the clips in the same direction. Then I put the valence back in place, inserted the shade into the valence (with a tie in place around the shades not including the bracket makes it easier, but not absolutely required), popped the shade bracket into the clip on one end, then on the other, removed the tie if used, and it is done! On the shades over the table and couches I found it easiest to put my head against the window looking up (lie down on the table) while popping the shade into place.

If you get one installed too close to one end and the shade rubs on something, it is possible to slide the shade in the clips (without removing the shade) by prying/pushing on one end of the bracket. I had to do that on one windshield shade, and one window shade.
Thank you sir....very helpful!
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Jim:

I replaced the shades on our 2001 Alpine with MCD shades and I did it with the valences in place. The first was the most difficult and each succeeding one became easier. I was a contortionist for a while with my head against the window looking up and holding the parts in place with my arms in the air. I took me several of hours but it all worked out OK.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:21 PM   #5

I had mine done by MCD and they did not remove the valences. Granted they have done it a LOT and know the shortcuts but took them less than 2 hours to put in the whole coach (except cockpit with took another 2 hours) complete and they were all powered.
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #6

I replaced mine as well, and did not remove the valences. The problem I had, other than standing on my head, is that the padding of the valence fabric made it difficult to push the MCD shade up into the mounting clips. I put 3 fender washers under each clip to add a little clearance, and then they installed pretty easily. I would not remove the valence.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:48 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Why not remove the valences???

There are only 2 screws that hold them up, and its a lot easier working on them at counter level...
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Why not remove the valences???

There are only 2 screws that hold them up, and its a lot easier working on them at counter level...
I made a spacer for the clips out of 3/4x1/2 aluminum channel. Then I mounted the clips to the channel on the bench (offset the clip to one side so that there is room for the valance mounting screw near the center). That way, you don't have to worry about aligning the clips. Just push one end of the channel against the wall and screw it to the valance.

It's also much easier to snap the shade into the clips if you don't have to fight the padding on the valance.

Another tip: If you have a narrow valance (mine are about 2 1/2") it's easier to snap the shade with a long screwdriver than trying to do it with your hands in the narrow space.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pictures of the install process and the clips would be a big help. I am considering this change, but have not seen the MCD mounting hardware. Anyone take pictures during the install?
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
I made a spacer for the clips out of 3/4x1/2 aluminum channel. Then I mounted the clips to the channel on the bench (offset the clip to one side so that there is room for the valance mounting screw near the center). That way, you don't have to worry about aligning the clips. Just push one end of the channel against the wall and screw it to the valance.

It's also much easier to snap the shade into the clips if you don't have to fight the padding on the valance.

Another tip: If you have a narrow valance (mine are about 2 1/2") it's easier to snap the shade with a long screwdriver than trying to do it with your hands in the narrow space.
Thanks for the reply, but I still don't understand why the valences should not be removed, they are easy to take up and put down...is it because the MCD are so heavy? or large? or what?

I just reupholstered my valences and it was a snap taking them down and reinstalling them, (with day /night/ blinds attached)
Old 08-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
Thanks for the reply, but I still don't understand why the valences should not be removed, they are easy to take up and put down...is it because the MCD are so heavy? or large? or what?

I just reupholstered my valences and it was a snap taking them down and reinstalling them, (with day /night/ blinds attached)
I don't know about your valance mounting, but in the case of Winnebago, it is not possible to remove the valance with ANY type of shade attached. Therefore, you don't really gain anything by removing them.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ah Ha!

SOB differences....Now I understand!
Old 08-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #13

Well, my valences have 8 screws each and you can only use a very short screwdriver to get to them, not an easy task. It is much easier to put them on with the valences on in my coach and in my opinion. There are likely easier ways to do it, I usually find the hardest way possible until AFTER I have them up. all just my experience and opinion.
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Therefore, you don't really gain anything by removing them.
I tried with the valence in place, but could not get the clips properly located due to no room to work on either side of the shades. By removing the valences (I used a right-angle screwdriver on the three that have the bottom bracket on each side), I was able to easly locate and mount the clips where the shade would easily pop into it after the valence was back in place.