Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:41 AM   #15
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Here ya go!

http://www.mcd-rv.com/

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #16

I don't think the website shows too much detail about the shades. It was much better when we got to actually see them at FMCA in Pomona. The shades consist of two roller shades, one mounted above the other on the same frame. The day portion rolls down from the back. The night portion rolls down from the front. The roller has a governor of some sort to limit how fast it goes up as well as where it stops. Unlike old fashioned roller shades!

They look easy to mount. I'll see.

There is a phone number on the website to request a set of fabric samples. They send them out quickly.

We just ordered the manual duo shades for the living area in our coach, and I am requesting more info and pricing on doing the cockpit area later.

We already have the MCD outside screens for the windshield, and the quality of them is very good. If these new shades are near them in quality, we think we will be very happy with them.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #17

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
We are going to try to get ours done on the way to the Branson Rally. Who did your wood valances in the front?
Swans: Allow at least 3-4 days in your schedule to get the work done. They now have expeience with the MDTS coach having done Sullivan's so it should go smoothly. We are the first FDQS and it it taking at least 4 days just for the front shades. The next one will go faster.

The wood valances are built and installed here at the factory. Part of the package.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Yeah! Where are those pix?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:31 AM   #19

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Regarding the 120' length on the curbside windows, Louie Burch & I were told yesterday that length shade would eventually droop a little in the middle and cause the material to have a wrinkled look. They suggested two shades with a wood tee shaped valance in the middle.Check it out before ordering.
SORRY!!!! Communication problem at MCD. The owner was just here and they have developed a stiffened rod that will handle large windows like the Alpine dinette slide without drooping. Available in a few weeks.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #20

I have removed all of my day night shades and replaced them with MCD shades. Due to the difficulty of wiring the slide windows, I put the manual ones on the slide windows. The cockpit shades are electrically operated. They were installed almost two years ago and have operated flawlessly. The product is extremely well made and keeps the coach cooler in hot weather, while still allowing outside visibility during the day. On cold nights or hot days the nighttime blackout shades trap the cold/hot air, thus making the coach more comfortable.
I cannot commend the company enough, they are very professional and stand behind all of their work and products.
Truth in emailing disclaimer: I was a dealer/installer for MCD in 2006 and left on good terms so that we could travel more.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #21

We just completed a trip to the NASCAR races in Phoenix as our first trip using the MCD manual Duo shades. We are very happy with them. They did seem to keep the heat outside of the coach better than the pleated shades did. And they function much better than the pleated shades as well. We got the suede material, and it looks great in the coach. The day portion cuts the light and heat coming into the coach, but as claimed, still allows you to view outside. The pleated day/night shades can't say that.

I will look into replacing the cockpit drapes as well. But that project is on the back burner for now.

I did the installation myself, and after my usual learning curve, the installation of the manual shades is not all that difficult. The cockpit shades are probably another story.

As Cruzer noted earlier in this thread, it will take more effort to replace the bedroom pleated shades, as the window trim in the bedroom on our '04 coach is not deep enough to cover both of the MCD rollers. It isn't even deep enough to cover just one of the rollers.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:18 AM   #22

We like our shades down when traveling to keep out the heat. What keeps these roller shades from rattling? The day/night shades have strings that prevent this.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #23

Rattling is not a problem as far as I can see. I travel with the shades up, and one shaded rattled a little against the window frame. I put a small piece of black velcro tape (loop side) where the shade bar would hit the frame to pad it, and now it is quiet as a mouse and is not visible. (I know how quiet that is since we had a mouse get in the coach on the last trip!) If you want to drive with them down, you can just pull them down a little farther until the bar rests in the window box. It shouldn't rattle.

After having had them for a while now, as far as I am concerned the MCD shades are a vast improvement over the day/night pleated shades.