Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #1

Has anyone replaced the pleated window shade with motorized shades from MCD? I'm thinking about getting rid of those strung pleated shade.
Nick Escamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Ooh, ooh, sounds like fun!
Old 03-05-2008, 03:23 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There's been a number of Tiffin owners doing that with very favorable comments. The 2008 Allegro Bus comes with them throughout the coach (the windshield ones are powered while the rest of the coach is manual) and it stirred quite a bit of interest in retrofits. The dual mesh and sun blocking shades do an excellent job. The only thing different is that, with dual rollers, MCD requires that they be stacked vertically rather than mounted side by side. You do have to ensure that the window trim is deep enough to hide both rollers. MCD has been excellent as far as customer service goes too. We plan on adding them to the front of our 2007 Bus sometime this year. If you plan on going power throughout the entire coach it gets pricey but with the single remote control you can buzz them all up and down or individually. Very cool!
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:26 AM   #4

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Here are pictures of MCD power shades installed in Clyde & Jeri Hobbs Apex:

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...1&limit=recent

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...0&limit=recent

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...9&limit=recent

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...8&limit=recent

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...6&limit=recent

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...7&limit=recent

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...5&limit=recent

I have an appointment at MCD in McKinney, Texas on the 24th to have shades installed.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #5

After screwing around with broken strings and awkward/clumsy operation, lost patience and had 3 OEM shades replaced w/MCD Duo manual operated shades. Replaced the two OEM shades on curb side with one 100" L shade and a 66.5" L shade on the window behind sofa. The sofa valance had to be removed for the retro shade installation but not curb side valance. Installation time was about 90 min. for all.
Mfg info indicates the shades passed Country Coach 6000 cycle operation test w/o problems and MCD would give a lifetime warranty on parts and workmanship for original owner.
Can report that after 4 weeks of service shades perform and as advertised, and I am satisfied to this point in time.
BTF
05 40FDQS
bigfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
BTF - Thanks for letting us know how the MCDs worked out for you. We intend to replace our Day/Night shades with the Manual Suede MCDs when we get our cockpit shade done. Looking at their display at FMCA - the spring on the manual shades seemed really strong and like it would last. Our curbside will be 120" for the 10' window but MCD said they could do it!
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #7

Thanks for all your input. I happened to price motorized shades on the internet and found MCD to be very competitive in price. In fact they are cheap compared to 2 quotes I got. My sofa window is 72" wide and the long 10' window I'm going to have made with 2 shades like the original. All I need now is money.
Nick Escamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
It is my understanding that all Apex owners are going to get the new MCD shades installed at WRV's expense. Now that WRV is cancelling everybody's service appointments, I have some concerns whether this will happen or not.

I hope they will be able to pull their act together and keep the company operating.

I would like to have our MCD shades installed in Oregon or someplace closer to my home and not have to go to Yakima to get the work done.
big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #9

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort https://www.twospringsrv.com/
Quote:
Our curbside will be 120" for the 10' window but MCD said they could do it!
We are at the MCD factory in McKinney, Texas getting our front shades done and upgraded to the suede material also. It only costs a few dollars more to go first class. Install tomorrow.They are very professional! Full hookups. Booked up two months in advance.We will do the rest of the coach when our ship comes in. Did I send one out?

Regarding the 120' length on the curbside windows, Louie Burch & I were told yesterday that length shade would eventually droop a little in the middle and cause the material to have a wrinkled look. They suggested two shades with a wood tee shaped valance in the middle.Check it out before ordering.

Because of the mirrored windows in our coaches you do not need the day shade for those windows, only the night shade. Saves you money.

The front shades for the Apex are covered under warranty since the Carefree of Colorado shade was such a disaster. Great idea but a very poor design. MCD has done a mid-door (Sullivan) and now a FDQS (Shannon) and will have the lengths if you choose to have someone else install them and want to be sure of the measurements. I would have them installed here if you can. Great folks. Keep in mind you need wood valances behind the driver's & passenger seats.MCD is doing ours in matching natural cherry. We reused the 4 switches on the dash and the 2 switches for the old Carefree shade. One switch operates two shades. Different than the the prototype installation at Yakima that added 3 new switches on the dash by the entry.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #10

I hate to show my ignorance but I cannot down load the pictures. What am I missing?
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:09 AM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Lundy, if you mean uploading pictures, we have instructions in the Website Technical Support forum, HERE.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:34 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by lundy:
I hate to show my ignorance but I cannot down load the pictures. What am I missing?
If you're trying to view the pics posted in the earlier post, all you do is CLICK on the links and they'll open.
No need to try and download anything....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:46 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Basil - Thanks for all your wonderful information! Can't wait to see the picyures! We are going to try to get ours done on the way to the Branson Rally. Who did your wood valances in the front?
#75710.
swansnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #14

Is there a website for MCD where I could get more info on shades?

Plus Noel (Bischon Frise)
Joel & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote