Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #85

Van- I tried getting speed bleeders from OEMY on the Workhorse forum. He didn't have them to fit the Meritor 73mm 4-piston calipers. Does he now?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #86

don't know - but here are the standard sizes and his web page says he considers requests

Speed Bleeder Sizes

Old 05-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #87

OK--I'll bite...so what is special about a "speed" bleeder--a one-way valve or something so they dont let air back in the caliper...otherwise, they look like the regular bleed screw we have now----inquiring minds want to know????
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
OK--I'll bite...so what is special about a "speed" bleeder--a one-way valve or something so they dont let air back in the caliper...otherwise, they look like the regular bleed screw we have now----inquiring minds want to know????
Here is a link,
Speed Bleeder Bleeding Brakes Bleeding Motorcycle Brakes Automotive Bleeder Screw Brake Bleeder

Speed Bleeder Features

beagle
Old 08-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #89

Meritor Brake improvement

If anyone wants to up-grade M/C professionally done in SO_CAL for less than $900.00 Call 760 213-2768.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #90

2000 Master Cylinder Change

I thought I would share what I went through to repair our master cylinder recently on our 2000 36' Alpine. My first indication of a problem was a 10" puddle of brake fluid under the master cylinder; it had recently been driven without any problems. The m/c was leaking from the seals at the end of the spool, and was exiting between the m/c and the Hydromax booster. FWIW we performed a complete 4 wheel fluid flush about 12 months ago, but it was obvious it had not been done for quite a while before or perhaps ever (read very dark fluid). I stayed with the same bore size of 50.80mm only because I didn't want to deal the uncertainty of change and the brakes seem ok to me for a large vehicle. I tried to order from the place others had ordered, Powerbrake – Drivetrain in Florida, but they needed not just the bore size cast into the part but a part number stamped on inner side of master cylinder towards the center of vehicle and impossible to read with the m/c installed. Once removed it read “4392X” and from this it was ordered. The company was great with information and very helpful in getting this ordered. This was the remote reservoir version and I could not find it elsewhere. Once it arrived and was installed, it was a simple yet of course time consuming job of bleeding the brake. People warned me this could be quite difficult with a remote reservoir and a dry m/c to bleed the brakes. But it went easier than I thought it would, simply using my HF vacuum bleeder (read cheap but effective). I didn’t remove the rear tires since the inner bleed valve is the first pocket when the fluid enters the rear slave cylinders. It seems to have worked and I have good brakes once again. All in all not too bad to do it yourself with a little time and elbow grease. Total cost $440 for the m/c and $40 of fluid. Thanks to everyone for their input on this thread, it inspired me to try this job and gave info to get it done.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #91

Jay, I know this won't help you now but there is priming procedure you should go through on the new m/c before you install it. This avoids the problems you have with bleeding a dry m/c once it is mounted.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #92

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul "Sully" Sullivan View Post
Just ordered a MC from Amazon, $232.00, shipping included no tax. Will post if there are problems.

Amazon.com: Wagner MC131759 Master Cylinder Assembly: Automotive
On sale right now for about $175 - free shipping. Ordered mine today.
Jeeper64060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:21 PM   #93

I have new in box ready to ship master cylinder. Also if able to get to San Marcos, Ca. a repair shop there will install, flush and bleed system for approx. $500.00. Call me 760 213 2768
Old 06-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #94

Alpine Owners Club
I want to thank everyone for the excellent information on this issue. I installed the new master cylinder over the weekend and it was a perfect fit. By far the biggest job was bleeding the brakes after I had it installed. I have a power bleeder but with 2 caps it was just making a mess, so had the wife do the pedal pump method for me.
I also replaced the front shocks with the Koni shocks described in other post.

On the test drive yesterday both changes yeilded great improvements. No more tire hop in the front and I can stop confidently. I had a guy stop on the highway to make a turn in from of me yesterday in a 70 mph zone - coach stopped no problem and no real leg effort.

Awesome mod, and awesome information. Thank you.
Jeeper64060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:37 PM   #95

Caliper Part Inquiry

Has anyone bought Meritor brakes caliper parts and if so where? I have a rear caliper on my 2000 model that was dragging to the point where it was lightly smelling and smoking when I stopped. The wheels are off and I am going in. I am not sure what I'll find but at least seals and rubber parts will be needed. Piston and calipers could be on the order sheet.

I found this but has anyone used this or has other recommendations:
https://www.meritorpartsonline.com/w...a-nasales/home

Thanks

PS Yes I flushed the brake fluid but don't know the history before I bought the coach 2 years ago.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #96

Alpine Owners Club
I helped a friend replace the calipers and pads on his 2000 Alpine. We went to NAPA Auto and Truck for the parts. We took the casting numbers and they had them (Rebuilt) in stock. They also had the brake pads in stock.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #97

Smile 2002 master cylinder upgrade

Been reading this thread carefully looking to see if anyone with a 2002 has made the conversion to 1.750" master cylinder. I have concerns with leaving the composite reservoir in the open wheel well area without shielding it. The master cylinder has a 2239045 casting number. Not sure which years used this arrangement. Anyone with number for the conversion cylinder?
Appreciate all help!

Beagle
Old 06-18-2014, 04:43 PM   #98

Generally speaking the "brake issue" being solved by this change-out only impacts 04 and newer coaches with adjustable brake pedals. Assume it can be done for earlier models but the M/C has to be the casting [could be the same] that accommodates the remote fluid reservoir that is mounted on the front firewall/bulkhead for those early coaches.

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote