Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #1

Not computer mice... REAL mice!

We back up to a field here in Georgetown, Texas, and in the seven seasons we've been here, and the almost as many years we've had this particular coach, we have NEVER seen signs of mice.

But, we found mouse droppings on the floor under the sink and the lower drawers on that side. (Our coach has the sink on the passenger side). We also found some droppings behind the "false drawer" next to the dining room table. I can see how mice can get in there... there are openings where the sewer hose passes through the bottom of the coach. Looking at other posts about this, it looks like people sealed the openings where the electic cord comes in and the sewer hose comes in. I think maybe they can get into the bay where the electic cord comes in, then climb on the furnace ducts through some openings.

Other posts suggested putting Bounce dryer sheets around and that keeps them away.

Just wondering if other Alpine owners have had rodent problems and what THEY did to remedy them

Jerry & Shirley Friedman; Dusty & Cricket
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD
2015 Mobile Suites 38RSSB3
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #2
Texas Boomers Club
My wife has scattered cloves around the kitchen arrea in ours and it seems to work.

1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial
2004 Jeep Cherokee
kben39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #3

We had the mice problem a couple times in our storage area in Washington. Found a product called "RV Critter Guard". Have used it now for two years everywhere we park and have not had a problems since. i bought both the guard for the electrical cord and the sewer hose. Problem is that the sewer hose guard doesn't work since the drain isn't perfectly centered over the hole. But the electrical cord guard works fine and I've used it religiously.

So I would buy this product for the electrical cable only, at the link below, use it, and I'll be surprised if you have the problem after that.

RV Accessory, Motorhome Pest and Insect Control - RV-Critter Guard

BTW, how's the antenna working?
Former Owner, 2006 36MDDS
2010 Arctic Fox 22GK Travel Trailer
2007 Toyota Tundra
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cats? LoL!
Steve & Leslie
Winnebago 2007 Adventurer 38T
Honda 2010 CR-V "Toad"
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know dogs are the favorite pets among RVers but frankly I fail to understand why, I mean dogs need ROOM TO RUN and an RV does not allow much room.

Now Cats, on the other hand... Well, since wife and I, along with Amber and Alex (Our feline friends) are full timers.. We don't have a mouse issue.

I wonder if Alex and Amber have anything to do with that........

(here moussie moussie, come join us for lunch moussie moussie (Amber Speaking))
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Harbor Freight sells a great mouse mallet w/a large flat face, under $10. Don't whack 'em on the carpet, & don't ask how I know!! Chase 'em over the tile then- Whamo!! Just set still in the coach in the wee hours of the morning, and listen for the skittling sound. I tried a little mouse lariat first, thought it would be quick; man that was tough to learn the twirl & throw, and If you only get a leg the mouse can wriggle out. Mallet is the way to go. I got out the .22 cal pistol, but EngineerAnnie put a stop to that before I could get a shot off.

I keep some white electrical tape for marking wires, & just for fun I took to putting little white mouse tape outlines on the floor where I did the deed, to get a rise out of EngineerAnnie of course. But she was not amused. After the third or fourth time she made me stop. I tried saving the carcasses in a freezer zip-lock to make stew, but she put a stop to that also. Probably too much cayenne in that first batch. Or maybe if I'da skinned the little bodies first she wouldn't have objected to the bag in the freezer? Guess I'll never know. Live & learn. Now its just thump 'em & dump 'em.
Baja-tested '08 2-slide 36'
Alpine: The Ultimate DIY'er Project
EngineerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Gee... now I understand why everyone thinks this forum is so helpful
Jerry & Shirley Friedman; Dusty & Cricket
2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD
2015 Mobile Suites 38RSSB3
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put sticky traps in the areas where they may go plus we put dryer sheets all around. I store my MH in an open storage yard that was once a quarry. I've had no problems. The only place I ususally find one is in my battery compartment under the entrance steps but the sticky pad always gets them.
I check my coach frequently and check all the spots and as of yet I've had no probems.
The dryer sheets also keeps the place smelling fresh......

Going down that long lonesome highway,Bound for the mountains and the plains
Michael Parks / Then Came Bronson - 1969
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have found shredded Bounce dryer sheets made into mouse nests, so I don't put much faith in those.

Good old D-con seems to work the best- that and snap traps.
Life rocks when your house rolls
Senior Chief
& the Cheese Queen

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #10
Hey Mike,
Did you conjure that up while you were up all night watching for the little guys?
My trick was to take a couple 4-foot lengths of surgical rubber tubing, screw the ends to the floor on each side, join the other ends with a little leather 'hammock' and pull it all the way back. When a little guy runs across the floor I let the hammock go and the little guy takes a fast ride to a fixed vertical surface.
The problem with that was Peg always had to clean the windshield in the morning.

Now I sit on the floor by the console and catapult the little guys to the rear. It's easier for Peg to clean the mirror than the windshield.

This might not be an ideal solution but it sure beats using poison. Took me about a month to get the smell out the last time I did that (those little guys can find the damndest places to die).
Bob (Squidly Down Under) & Peg - 2013 Ford Focus pushing a 2011 Phoenix Cruiser 2552S
"In God we trust" to preserve our country and bring our Troops safely home.
Carry on, regardless..................
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #11
put steel wool around opennings on pipes.mice cant chew it.
1997 four winds windsport 38,000 miles
1999 ford ranger sport on a master tow car dolly
Rob,Faye and peanut(long haired chiwawa)
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
Alpine Owners Club
I use good old reliable mouse and rat traps baited with peanut butter and jam (they LOVE the stuff!). We have real problems with packrats in our area and having tried every other remedy without success, I finally resorted to the traps. I keep 2 traps in the storage bay, one in the furnace cabinet, one under the sink and one under the dash covers. I check them about once a month (hoping I don't catch one right after having checked!). Prior to using the traps I had to replace wiring in various and assorted places and had nests in the most unusual places (such as behind the overhead TV & video electronic control console). Since resorting to traps, we have caught 4 mice and 2 packrats. Still not sure how they get in but at least they meet their demise quickly - before they can do much damage.
Roger & Diana
'03 Alpine 36MDDS
Leeds, UT
rdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Pond Piggies Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We put moth balls as well as dryer softner sheets around the inside cover of the generator to keep out mice during storage. When we opened the cover in the spring, the mice used the dryer sheets to build a nest on top of the moth balls. Put some electronic repelling units under and in the MH from Lowe's.
1997 Newmar Kountry Aire 3356
Freightliner Chassis, Cummins engine, FMCA #408511
figallegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #14
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since moving to our present location 6 years ago (woods of northern Michigan), we've been fighting mice ever since in the MH. Forget dryer sheets, they make nests out of them. Tried the electronic repellers, forget that. I tried finding all access points and filling them with steels wool, but I apparently couldn't find them all.

The DW recently tried mixing a concoction of clove powder and cooking oil. I soaked cotton balls in this and placed them under cabinets, ect and in the storage bays. I also put moth balls in the storage bays. Moth balls do work, but they can really stink up the inside.

When we tried this it was already late fall and we already had signs of mice. After waiting for a week or so for some Snap-E Mouse Traps to arrive, I put 6 of them baited with peanut butter. That was about 2 months ago and haven't caught a one. So, the clove inside and the mothballs outside seems to run them out and keep them out.

When I ordered those mouse traps, I also ordered some Shake-Away to try, as I was getting desperate. Mice had already taken out a ground wire in the TV area and took out a data cable that controls all the heat and A/C, which costs $500 to repair.

I think this stuff is going to be the answer, but can't give it a good test until we get back home from FL in April. My goal is keep them from even getting to the storage bays. I believe if I apply this around the MH and on and around the tires, it will keep them away. Regardless, I'm still going to put traps inside just in case they do get in. This stuff was discussed in another thread and there was a member who said he has just used regular ammonia in the same manner for 50 years and has never had mice. I think I have to believe him.

jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote