Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 06:39 AM   #1

Just realized the other day that Alpine makes a mid-door model. Are there any advantages of a mid-door versus front door model?

Thanks
Wayne

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2006, 06:39 AM   #2

Just realized the other day that Alpine makes a mid-door model. Are there any advantages of a mid-door versus front door model?

Thanks
Wayne

Old 12-08-2006, 07:16 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Redeldo,

We actually have a Front Door 40ft, and only have it because then we get the king size bed. We think the advantages of a Mid Door are 1) no noise for the passenger when under way; 2) a bigger window and no screen for better sight seeing for the passenger; 3) you enter the coach at the kitchen tile, keeping the carpeting much cleaner; and 4) your doorway is protected by the main awning in the event of rain.

We would definitely have a Mid Door if we could get the king size bed.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:22 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

I've driven and snooped around the Newmar London Aire, which is a mid-door product and can attest to the definite lack of door noise for the passenger, which I found nice.
Newmar even "dresses up" the passenger area with a little pull out desk/drawer thingy that pulls out of the dash.
The passenger also has their own working electric window which makes for better ventilation.

What I had perceived as an issue with floorplan availability in a mid-door coach was really a non-issue as once you get up in the coach it's not that big of a deal...

Many gas coaches over the years have been mid-door models and I don't think,based especially on the sales numbers, that it's been an issue...
Old 12-08-2006, 07:40 AM   #5

Suspect in the final analysis it comes down to personal preference but here a few pros/cons from two 40' MD owners:
Cons:
1)Takes up some space and limits access to basement(newer MD coaches have access thru stairs)
2)Limits use of Joey beds
3)Dont think you can get king bed option with 40' MD
4)Basement space behind tanks section/ahead of back wheels is narrow--harder to access
5)Open stairwell in middle of floor plan (older coaches have manual stairwell cover--we rarely use)
6)Heard that some MD's doors rattle--not ours
7)Not the "traditional" up-scale coach/bus design
Pros:
1)Allows open access to kitchen area (on to tile) without tromping thru living area (great for fuel stops, loading groceries and the beach)
2)Access/depart coach from under the large awning
3)No disruption of your co-pilot's "nest" every time you stop (computers, maps, books, etc)
4)Some say FDs have wind noise for co-pilot
5)Co-pilot has access to big side window that opens
6)Older MDs have fuel fill access from either side of coach
Probably a lot more of both sides--I am not wed to MDs but my co-pilot wouldnt trade for anything else.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:52 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I love our mid-entry. Another advantage is that when parked, you swivel the co-pilot chair around and slide back and it fits into the space and really helps to create a conversation pit.

I wish they had moved the mid-door back in 2002 like it is now - would have made it even better.
Blog
Old 12-08-2006, 10:49 AM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dean&Jan:
Probably a lot more of both sides--I am not wed to MDs but my co-pilot wouldnt trade for anything else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow Dean!

That's the most important reason of ALL!!
I really love it when I'm the co-pilot!
IMHO - Homeyness trumps Space any day!
After all - We are in this for enjoyment - Not to drive a pretend Prevost.

Rick
Old 12-08-2006, 08:01 PM   #8

yep, so true.... butttttt.... I wouldn't give up my King size bed for anything....LOL
Old 12-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hrhuggie:
yep, so true.... butttttt.... I wouldn't give up my King size bed for anything....LOL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly Hugh!

I found the regular queen beds (60"x80") to confining = bumping into each other and waking up = disturbed sleep!

So I had WRV put in an OLYMPIC QUEEN bed (66"x80") and it works as well as our King bed at home.

About Olympic Queen Beds

This is another idea WRV could incorporate in their motorHomes. It would set WRV apart from the other manufacturers and save 6" in the process!

Rick
Old 12-08-2006, 11:27 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Rick - Where did the extra 6" come from?
#75710.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:34 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

HERE is a link to a topic discussing the very same issue.
Please direct your comments there and to avoid duplicate posts and confusion,this topic is closed.

Closed Thread