Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:13 AM   #1

So I'm leaving on a trip to Atlanta today and everything fired up on the coach (2003 40') except the heating system. The thermostat is on and seems to be functioning, but nothing will turn on. Fans, furnace, nothing. I looked at the circuit breaker panel underneath the bathroom sink, but it doesn't have a label for anything related except for AC. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

GT

GTHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #2

see note above on Dometic thermostat...make sure you are using zone one and check the 12v fuse....

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:44 AM   #3

Zone 1 is set to heat pump and fan to auto. If I turn the fan on manually, it doesn't come on. The thermostat is on and functioning.

Where is the 12v fuse you are speaking of? If it was bad, would the thermostat display still come on?

Thanks for the help!

GT
Old 01-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #4

The circuit breakers are for the 120 volt items. There should be a fuse panel in the same area that has automotive type fuses in it. Mine is in the bathroom, behind the panel near the floor. One of those should be for the furnace, which is 12 volt. (I am assuming you don't have the Hydrohot?) My fuse panel was labeled, so it was easy to see which fuse was which.

In the first year, my furnace failed. It was traced back to a faulty board in the furnace. The replacement board failed during testing at the dealer. They had to use an upgraded board. Something about too high of a current flow, from what I remember. It was a furnace problem, not a WRV problem. It was 4 years ago. In that case everything else still functioned. I could use the heat pumps and the air conditioners. Just no furnace.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:38 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
GT:

The 12 volt fuse panel is right under the 120 volt AC panel, under the bathroom sink.

Mine were not labeled, so I made a hand-written chart of what didn't work when I pulled the fuse. Lights, fans, furnace, hose reels, water pump, thermostat, etc. BTW the thermostat and the furnace are on different 12v circuits.

Also make sure you don't have one zone set to heat pump and the other zone set to furnace. It just confuses the thermostat.

The thermostat is 12 volts, the heat pump is 120 volts and the furnace is 12 volts.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Hello GT:

I would also look at the circuit board the Dometic boards are known to fail. You can get a replacement from Dinosaur Electronics or from Dometic.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
If you PM me I can send you a troubleshooting guide that I just got for the Duo-Therm Comfort Control center. It is about 5MB. I just had similar problems with mine but my symptoms were different. My thermostat did not have any power. ended up being a 3amp fuse on the board in the front AC.

Moorpark, CA
work2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #8

I really appreciate the help. After leaving the generator on for 15 minutes or so, I went back out to the coach and the heat pump was running. I guess there was no problem, but it did take quite some time for it to come on. While on the trip, it comes on quickly. Maybe the batteries were low? Thanks!

GT
Old 01-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #9

I have noticed on my coach that it always takes a few minutes for the air conditioner or heat pump to start after turning on the thermostat. However, if I turn on the thermostat before I plug in, the air conditioner starts quicker. It appears the thermostat has the time delay built into it. Turning it on (12 volt system) before plugging in starts the timer on the delay. If you had low batteries, that probably didn't start the timer.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:13 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Good catch Jim.

The thermostat does have a built in delay. I've noticed the delay is different under various circumstances. I know a restart takes the longest. I'll have to try your method. I'm not sure how the delay is made, but the timing is inconsistent. Maybe the battery condition is an influence.