Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:11 AM   #1

I visited my coach at the storage yard yesterday to check on it and fire up the generator for a bit since I hadn't done that in a while. As ususal, I check the readings on the display above the passenger seat. All was well, except the propane read EMPTY!. When I parked it 2 1/2 weeks ago I had 1/2 tank. I don't turn off the main valve (although I probably should), but nothing was running that would use propane. I checked for leaks, but smelled nothing and since the tank read empty that was probably a waste of time. I knocked on the tank and it really sounded hollow, so I'm pretty sure it is empty. Either I have a leak somewhere, which will require charging the tank to a small degree, OR someone stole my propane. It is a secure lot, but that probably is meaningless in this day and age of high cost everything. I know the compartment door has no lock for safety reasons, but is there something available to lock the valve in the off position?
If so, I would simply do that when parked for any length of time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2008, 07:11 AM   #2

I visited my coach at the storage yard yesterday to check on it and fire up the generator for a bit since I hadn't done that in a while. As ususal, I check the readings on the display above the passenger seat. All was well, except the propane read EMPTY!. When I parked it 2 1/2 weeks ago I had 1/2 tank. I don't turn off the main valve (although I probably should), but nothing was running that would use propane. I checked for leaks, but smelled nothing and since the tank read empty that was probably a waste of time. I knocked on the tank and it really sounded hollow, so I'm pretty sure it is empty. Either I have a leak somewhere, which will require charging the tank to a small degree, OR someone stole my propane. It is a secure lot, but that probably is meaningless in this day and age of high cost everything. I know the compartment door has no lock for safety reasons, but is there something available to lock the valve in the off position?
If so, I would simply do that when parked for any length of time.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:39 AM   #3

Sorry for this dumb question but did you also check the gauge on the tank [next to the shut-off valve]? The "red light" gauges are not always accurate. Conversely, the gauges might have been wrong 2 week ago when they read 1/2 tank. Agree its a good thing to shut-off the value on the tank if you are not using it/storing the coach. You could have a leak somewhere but that will take some effort to track down-- [tank, feeder pipe, Rv fridg, furnance, stove, water heater].
Old Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #4

Come on Scout- You know there are NO dumb questions on this forum! The obvious is what I usually overlook. In this case I did check the guage and it read empty, but thanks for the thought.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:18 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Hi Rick,

You know, there's something that I *think* I should remember about propane but can't quite remember. I think it may be that you shouldn't let a propane tank run dry as that invites corrosion (or am I thinking SCUBA tanks?)

Anyway, I'd suggest going to a propane distributor for your refill instead of just letting any old gas pump jockey do it as there just may be something special you should be doing! Who knows, a pro may even have some ideas of the first place to look for a leak, or a portable detector, etc.

Good Luck!

2004 Alpine 34 FDDS
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A small leak can suddenly develop in a hose another connection can work loose. It is very possinle you have a leak. I always shut of the valves at the tank.

You need to get the tank refilled and get the system leak checked. If you do not feel comfortable checking the system, you need to get a professional to check it before it becomes a hazard. Propane is nothing to mess around with.

Ken
Old 10-10-2008, 05:06 PM   #7

Rick,

You could check for leaks with a lit match, but there are some nasty side effects you should know about!!! You would find the leak quickly, but it would be the least of your problems!

Seriously, there is a propane dealer in Tustin just off the 55 freeway and Edinger that might be a good one to use.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:27 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
I had the same problem last year. It seemed to coincide with my having failed to turn off the water heater.

Had the same problem three years ago that coincided with my having failed to turn off the propane-fed refrigerator.

I had the same problem four years ago when a compression fitting at the regulator had a hairline crack. It took several weeks to empty, but since it was so slow I just thought I was using it up quickly.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:09 AM   #9

I'm taking it in Friday morning to put in a few gallons and check for leaks. I'm positive (?) that all propane using items are off. I'll post the results
Old 10-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had one develope a leak before the regulator. Lost most of a tank before we found it. Since then we always shut off the valve at the tank.

I had to find the leak and fix it my self as the dealer (still under warranty) could not find a leak...he did not look.

Ken
Old 10-25-2008, 02:00 PM   #11

Turns out the leak was where the Extend-A-Flow unit had been attached. Makes me think the fewer "goodies" we add to our coaches the fewer problems that will arise. Thanks for all the suggestions.