Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Hello All,
I want to add a gun/money safe to my coach. My reasons are simple, Diesel is getting expensive, and many places want cash, so I don't like carring a lot of it. If I have a safe to keep it in, that would be better, and if someone wanted my cash, keeping a gun in there loaded, would allow me protection, if they tried to take it from me. I am not sure where to locate it, and want to install it safely, especially since the closet gets warm from the radiator and engine heat. I have enclosed a link to a company who makes several models - www.vlineind.com - I'm interested in. The long gun models are what I'm looking at, because we are planning on a Trip to Alaska, and a long gun would be good protection up there, normally just a handgun. Yes, I have taken a NRA sponsored gun safety class, and have received my CCP. Please contribute to the location you feel best suited to installation, placement. Our's is a 40MDTS-Apex 2007 coach. Thank you in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hello All,
I want to add a gun/money safe to my coach. My reasons are simple, Diesel is getting expensive, and many places want cash, so I don't like carring a lot of it. If I have a safe to keep it in, that would be better, and if someone wanted my cash, keeping a gun in there loaded, would allow me protection, if they tried to take it from me. I am not sure where to locate it, and want to install it safely, especially since the closet gets warm from the radiator and engine heat. I have enclosed a link to a company who makes several models - www.vlineind.com - I'm interested in. The long gun models are what I'm looking at, because we are planning on a Trip to Alaska, and a long gun would be good protection up there, normally just a handgun. Yes, I have taken a NRA sponsored gun safety class, and have received my CCP. Please contribute to the location you feel best suited to installation, placement. Our's is a 40MDTS-Apex 2007 coach. Thank you in advance.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:39 AM   #3

Old Rv'er, you better check Canadian gun laws before you go to Alaska. They are pretty strict and they may/will search your coach at the border.

Fulltimers
Kent and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
hax

We entered Canada on June 15th at East Fork from Northern Idaho. The officials where very cooperative when I told them we where on our way to Alaska and that I had a rifle. They recorded the make, model and ssn. I think we paid a $20 fee and it is good for two months. Canada does require that the ammo is stored seperate from the gun. The gun was a piece of cake, but you can only bring 40 OZ of wine!

2003 ALPINE 40FDTS
hax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
hax,

You mean to tell me that they're only allowing 40 oz of wine in your coach??????

Why, I can't even think about using that long gun without some serious libations. 40 ozs.... unbelievable, a dangerous weapon and a sober mind: what a dangerous situation. LOL

Jim & Sandra
Old 06-23-2008, 08:33 PM   #6

I've been a lifelong gun owner and hunter and competitive rifle shooter, along with CCP and have been to Alaska a number of times. Canada doesn't like handguns, so when you go to Alaska, you do need to cross the border with a long gun rather than a handgun and buy their $20 permit. My favorite gun to take to Alaska and legally cross into Canada is a Stoeger Coachgun, 12 guage, double barrel shotgun with 18 1/2" barrels, which makes them legal as a shotgun but short enough to use for protection. I use it fishing the rivers with a slug in one barrel and double 00 buckshot in the others, and it will flat level a grizzly at close range. You can shorten the stock behind the pistol grip and carry the gun in a backpack while you're fishing and have all the protection you need, bears or humans. Plus it's a relatively inexpensive weapon. Just be sure you make current overall length requirements on a long gun before you shorten the stock, which you can probably get from the web on Canadian customs.

With that gun, I don't find the need for a gun safe; just keep it in the closet near your bed and the ammo close by, but separate, and you can load it faster than you can unlock a gun safe. And with a shotgun you don't miss in the dark.

Now for money, that's a different thing. We have two compartments under our bed, which access the latches for removing the cover under the bed and over the engine. A small safe good for valuables fits fine there, and will also hold a handgun for lower 48 traveling. I found a safe that fits at the local locksmith shop. They have a bunch of different size safes that will fit in different compartments and handle a serious handgun; just find the compartment that fits for you and find the safe that fits that compartment. Ours will easily handle one of our 44 magnums if you want that much handgun.

If you have any more questions about guns and safes feel free to PM me and I'll give you more info.
OldForester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/default_e.asp

This is the link to the latest legal nformation on Canadian Gun laws and regulations. I check it all the time to see what else I can learn. It's not legal to carry a hand gun into Canada, unless you have the government's permission. It's my understanding that will only happen if you are in a professional shooting contest, and other restrictions will apply.

For my trip to Alaska, I planned on finding a dealer who will ship my hand gun to Alaska, and then ship it back. The long gun provided it's in a safe, and the ammo is not stored with it, I believe is legal. I will certainly check prior to my departure, and will also call them on the phone to make sure I know what the latest info is. I am even going to let them know what long gun I plan on bringing with me.

But I want to be sure in the knowledge of how to install the safe, so it is done without a hitch and I don't hurt the coach in some way.
Your help would be appreciated.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:28 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Old Rv'er,

Your bedroom is very similar to mine. You should be able to install a long gun case either on the floor or wall of your closet. For a money safe there are a few options. If you PM me I will send you my phone # and you can call me to discuss.

Dale

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote