Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #1

More aggressive break pads

I posted about 1 or 2 months ago, my experience with a complete brake overhaul. Among numerous other important things that were done at the time (re: brakes), the mechanic who was very knowledgeable, talked to some tech people at Meritor, and came up with a better, more aggressive brake pad, which had evolved from their experience with many heavy vehicle operators who drove almost exclusively in the Western mountains.
Many who read my post expressed a desire to know the name and availability of these pads. I would have posted a reply sooner, but I just got a reply from the mechanic last week.

These pads are available from O'Reillys Auto Parts,and are PERFORMANCE
FRICTION #1032.10

This brand and part no. could probably be cross-referenced to another
store, if there's not an O'Reillys nearby.

Dudley Do-Right, '06Apex40MDTS
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
More aggressive brake pads mean that they are harder than 'non-aggressive' brake pads. The pads won't wear down as quickly. However, the brake rotors might wear more quickly and need replacing sooner.

Many auto parts stores have a whole variety of pads or shoes available of different compositions, all because the asbestos that had been used for almost a century no longer could be used due to health reasons. No problem with the health concerns of asbestos, but it means various pad compositions have different advantages or disadvantages. Some are better for racing, general use, heavy vehicles, winter driving, wet conditions, etc. Many stores now offer free replacement of the pads or shoes, but of course, don't offer installation compensation.
Some factors to take into account:

Brake fade - the heating up of the rotor and pad can cause friction to be reduced.

Brake dust - some brake pads create more dust than others, it can be hard to clean off.
Heat build up - heat can boil brake fluid or seize pistons in calipers

Brake noise - some pads are noisier in use than others

Abrasiveness - some pads can wear down the brake rotors faster than others, causing rotor replacement more often.

Brake pad life - various pad compositions last longer than others, requiring more replacement cycles.

Just a few things to consider when choosing or changing pad composition in a brake job. I'd put more miles on your new pads before a wholesale recommendation that you have the solution.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:27 AM   #3

Dudley-like your discussion on pad friction options ....following your earlier posts, I was surprised that you didn't see that much improvement after replacing the OEM MC--I've done several Alpines and owners felt there was significant improvement. I don't do much mountain driving but the disks and pads on my 2003 with 175k miles are nearly new in appearance. My 2003 doesn't have the adjustable pedals, so not the design issue, but there are times when I wouldn't mind a bit more stopping ability. I do change brake fluid every 2-3 years and hydraulic pump fluid every 3-4 years. Replacing the pads with a more aggressive design might be an interesting "experiment", and fairly easy as a DIY project....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:46 PM   #4

After watching this mechanic change the pads, I don't think it would be a DIY project for most people.
Dudley
Old 02-25-2018, 02:22 PM   #5

...agree, not very easy as a DIY, but if you have the tools, the facility, the time, and the beer, most anything is possible [smile].....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:31 PM   #6

Dudley,

Have you had a chance to test the new pads?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:08 AM   #7

new pad test

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Dudley,

Have you had a chance to test the new pads?
Yes, have had fair amount of drive time since work. There is substantial improvement, although the complete system flush, plus rotor deglazing could have had some influence.

Dudley Do-Right, '06Apex40MDTS
Old 04-16-2018, 08:30 AM   #8

Brake Pad Hardness

Bob,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
More aggressive brake pads mean that they are harder than 'non-aggressive' brake pad....
Here is a link that explains the difference between hardness and aggressive brake pads.

Ceramic Vs. Metallic Brake Pads

FWIW aggressive brake pads tend to wear out quicker and produce less wear on the rotor while providing better brake response than Harder brake pads.
Sco70ttie is offline   Reply With Quote