Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
D&E,
Welcome to the IRV2 forums!! This is a great place to find info and especially for all things Alpine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2010, 05:58 AM   #16

OK y'all, you've got me concerned. I've had this 5.7 since I got the coach April 2007. I use it all the time as I'm of the "fill tank and use that water" school. So far, never a blip - except a slow drip every once in a while from those plastic clip/fasteners. (Shurflo sent me new ones but hey still don't tighten down completely.)
I thought it would be good idea to carry a back-up but when I saw that Amazon carried them, I'm thinking now that overnight shipping from them would be my "back-up". Anyone see fallacies to my thinking??

Old 07-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
David,

I've used my 5.7 full time for 2.5 years as we have the RO system. I did add an accumulator 1.5 years ago, but have had no problems with the pump at all. Having said that, I do carry a backup 5.7 pump also. I don't ever want to be without water from a dead pump. My wife ran out of water once years ago , in the shower with soapy hair, while I was gone, and I promised, on my knees, but with a slight smile, that it would never happen again.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #18

Terry- as a minimum, if you haven't already, next time your water tank is way down- drain it and add a shutoff valve. My rig had none, so if you needed to deal w/the pump, you needed to deal w/the fullness of tank also.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Mike. I didn't think of that.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:20 PM   #20

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a replacement for the Shurflo 5.7 water pump? I'm going to have to replace my 4th one since 2004. Granted, its a good pump when/if it works but that can be anyone's guess when it will. It either runs all the time (even with faucets off), surges when it should be a smooth flow, or leaks around the head.
I've heard the 4.0 pump is more reliable but that may just be one person's opinion.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Wagonmaster2
Old 07-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
David & All, my original pump was made in 06, the coach purchased in 08 and the pump was working great, just started to leak after that lounge chair ran into it when the smartbed went in. Kept the old pump, but Shurflo said parts were not available for it. It will be a great Hydro Hot tank empty pump, and also a refill pump for the same reason.

My second pump failed Tuesday, for no apparent reason that would have come to mind, and after the initial install, I had to turn in the pressure switch adjustment screw to it's stop to make ti work correctly, so from the box it was an almost bad pump. I will ship it back to SF, and they can send me a new one. I am reluctant to purchase a new pump as a spare, because the warranty starts from the date of purchase, not the date of installation, and if by the grace of the gods, the next one lasts a good long time, then, I will have a spare with no warranty. My hope is that SF with get the quality up, so the thing really lasts a long time, and I am not holding my breath.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #22

Monty- I just received my warranty pump in exchange for pump #2 on my 08. The process was to phone SF, talk to their rep for this pump, and get instructions for the return/replacement. I tried to over-the-counter exchange it, but CW wouldn't do it (even tho they did for the customer in front of me, go figure, but I didn't want to make a fuss), and then at a local trailer supply joint. Instead of O-T-C @ the trailer supply, the guy phoned SF. The rep said:
1) peel off label & send it to us (that has the born-on date, serial#, etc.)
2) cut off wires on pump & toss it
3) SF will ship the replacement to the trailer supply
4) I can pick up the replacement when it arrives.
Worked just like that. Saves your shipping cost (gotta burn a stamp) sending the pump back. I think they have enough samples for forensic analysis at this point.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #23

I am lucky enough to live close enough to the Shurflo facility in So Cal, and was able to just take it in to them and walk out with a new one. The tech even tested the new one for me.

I always carry a spare 5.7 pump, and have pre-wired the leads with terminals so I just have to plug it in. I took the shutoff valve advice from Dave Fernandez a few years ago, and with the pre-wiring and the valve, I can change out the pump in under 15 minutes. I am on my third pump, which has been in use for over 3 years now. (Probably because I have a pre-wired pump and can change it out quickly!)

After two pumps went out, I started carrying the spare. Overnight is quick, but still can be an inconvenience if you are dry camping and can't connect to city water.