Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Got back to Carson City yesterday from Southern Cal. Parked in the garage and now I have a puddle of hydraulic fluid on the garage floor. Have not had time to look at it yet, but I will let ya'all know when I find out exactly where it is coming from. It is under the passangers side front compartment, where all of the hydraulic stuff is.

So far this coach has just gone from one problem to the next. In about the last three weeks it has been the generator, the alternator, and now this. WHAT NEXT?

big jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2008, 09:16 AM   #2

Got back to Carson City yesterday from Southern Cal. Parked in the garage and now I have a puddle of hydraulic fluid on the garage floor. Have not had time to look at it yet, but I will let ya'all know when I find out exactly where it is coming from. It is under the passangers side front compartment, where all of the hydraulic stuff is.

So far this coach has just gone from one problem to the next. In about the last three weeks it has been the generator, the alternator, and now this. WHAT NEXT?

Old 06-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #3

gotta be a leak @ the HWH pump/manifold. We had that on the 06 while doing PDI of the coach @ the factory. easily solved most of the time- locate which solenoid is loose, tighten, then clean up. I'd guess road vibration found a connection that was not up to snuff.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:39 AM   #4

I'm sure you are correct, and as I said, I will post after I get a chance to look at it. After being gone for four months, there is a lot of catching up to do here at home.

I am just not happy having to work on this thing all of the time, and am still concerned about winding up with a big, expensive yard decoration now that WRV has gone away.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #5

I hate to say it Jim- but I don't think a motorhome exists that doesn't require working on all the time. I'm almost 2 years into my first motorhome and I, like all of us, have become much more proficient a mechanic than I ever expected to be. I have just decided be pleased with myself when I solve a problem with the coach. I also feel like I have made some very good friends on this forum- most of whom I have never met personally. The Alpine forum group seems to take great pleasure in helping other Alpine owners solve their problems.

Good luck in getting your coach squared away.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #6

Big Jimbo - Sorry to hear about your problem but thanks for taking the time to post it. You may have saved us a break down on the highway. Carroll and I are getting ready to take a 5-6,000 mile trip so I have been lubing, tweaking, cleaning, tightening, replacing everything I can think of. I have also been watching the Alpine Forum for any new items.

A couple of months ago when I was under the coach for something I noticed that the bottom side of the hydraulic bay was covered with oil and debris. I was working with WRV and had approval and an appointment to have the hydraulic oil replaced with the Rykon to see if it improved the braking and I was going to have the shop check for oil leaks at that time. Well a few days later WRV closed, I cancelled the service appointment and promptly forgot about the leaking hydraulic fluid.

After reading your post I checked and sure enough an oil puddle on the floor under the hydraulic compartment (passenger side first small compartment behind the front tire). I opened the compartment and of course it was a dirty mess with oil and grease everywhere, (really not grease just the oil filled with all the road grime). I checked all the fittings on the side and they were all snug. I could only feel around back where two more fittings enter the manifold and sure enough one had oil all over it. I tried a extention light and a work mirror and was muttering a few comments about the WRV engineering & design group when I noticed that the aft (not back) side of the hydraulic bay had a service compartment panel opening into the forward storage bay. I opened the storage bay removed the panel and guess what - an almost unobstructed view and access to the fittings. Sorry WRV guys!!!

One small turn on the wrench and a whole lot of 409 cleaner and rags and it was almost like new. I powered up the coach cycled both slides and didn't see any leaks but I'm going to leave the access panel off for the first couple of days on the trip so I can check....

Thanks Jim & Sally. We will hoist one for you when we hit the road! Hope your repair is as easy.

Harold & Carroll Borland

Being pushed by a 2006
C&H from NorCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:25 PM   #7

Harold,
thanks for the tip on the access panel, going to check mine for it tomorrow. Leave for a
Blue Grass Festival in the am
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Coleman:
I hate to say it Jim- but I don't think a motorhome exists that doesn't require working on all the time. I'm almost 2 years into my first motorhome and I, like all of us, have become much more proficient a mechanic than I ever expected to be. I have just decided be pleased with myself when I solve a problem with the coach. I also feel like I have made some very good friends on this forum- most of whom I have never met personally. The Alpine forum group seems to take great pleasure in helping other Alpine owners solve their problems.

Good luck in getting your coach squared away.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rick, Just to let you know, I have had seven different RVs over the the years, and have never had anything that was a poorly assembled as this thing. It is something everytime I use the coach.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #9

My apologies Jim. Sounds like you speak with a lot more experience and authority than I. I really do hope you get your coach sorted out so that you can enjoy it.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #10

Food for thought on this issue; I just had a leak problem taken care of at Rmechanic in Livermore on the HWH system. Seems that the hoses were installed into the manifold without the use of Teflon tape or similar item. HWH acknowledged the issue as theirs and covered the repairs under warranty. Now, I wonder if all the other locations suffer from the same issue.

WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote