Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
I both feel like I am beating a dead horse and I can't believe that I didn't check it sooner.

I woke up Wednesday morning to a noise like a fan squealing + some sizzling. I moved around the coach listening to where the sound was coming from. Deciding that is was coming from the inverter I checked it directly and found it to be making bad sounds. Due to: not being able to run important coach systems if it failed, holiday weekend coming up, having no warranty service center near, Xantrex not being able to get me a replacement on time, I had wanted to change to a 3KW inverter. (mainly for higher power charger, but holding off due to having too many good replaced parts to find good homes for.) I ordered a RS3000, that I was able to get shipped to me, to arrive today. Low and behold, while installing the new inverter, I found the 120 Volt wiring loose. The hot output wire was so loose that I could pull it out by hand. I guess that I have been negligent and in the next few days will check all of the circuit breaker wires.

I think that it has been stated, but will repeat, as it is very important. When a wire connection is loose, it creates heat from the resistance of the connection. This heat causes oxidation, which creates more resistance and more heat. This keeps happening until the wire and/or device to which is connected to be damaged and/or burn up. Since these parts are usually enclosed in a box, it usually just causes damage. The big problem is, that in rare cases, it can cause a fire. If you tighten up these connections before they have heated up and oxidized, the problem is solved. If the wire and/or connection has oxidized, then just tightening up will not solve the problem. The wire should be cut back to clean wire and the connection sanded to remove any oxidation. In the case where the wire is too short to cut back and reconnect, cut it back to as good of wire as you can get to and use a wire nut to connect a new wire long enough to reach the connector. The wire nut will cut into the old wire and make a good connection.

Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2008, 09:00 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
I both feel like I am beating a dead horse and I can't believe that I didn't check it sooner.

I woke up Wednesday morning to a noise like a fan squealing + some sizzling. I moved around the coach listening to where the sound was coming from. Deciding that is was coming from the inverter I checked it directly and found it to be making bad sounds. Due to: not being able to run important coach systems if it failed, holiday weekend coming up, having no warranty service center near, Xantrex not being able to get me a replacement on time, I had wanted to change to a 3KW inverter. (mainly for higher power charger, but holding off due to having too many good replaced parts to find good homes for.) I ordered a RS3000, that I was able to get shipped to me, to arrive today. Low and behold, while installing the new inverter, I found the 120 Volt wiring loose. The hot output wire was so loose that I could pull it out by hand. I guess that I have been negligent and in the next few days will check all of the circuit breaker wires.

I think that it has been stated, but will repeat, as it is very important. When a wire connection is loose, it creates heat from the resistance of the connection. This heat causes oxidation, which creates more resistance and more heat. This keeps happening until the wire and/or device to which is connected to be damaged and/or burn up. Since these parts are usually enclosed in a box, it usually just causes damage. The big problem is, that in rare cases, it can cause a fire. If you tighten up these connections before they have heated up and oxidized, the problem is solved. If the wire and/or connection has oxidized, then just tightening up will not solve the problem. The wire should be cut back to clean wire and the connection sanded to remove any oxidation. In the case where the wire is too short to cut back and reconnect, cut it back to as good of wire as you can get to and use a wire nut to connect a new wire long enough to reach the connector. The wire nut will cut into the old wire and make a good connection.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:45 AM   #3

After I had my transfer switch mishap, due to loose wires, I checked the circuit breaker box and found several wires that were "somewhat" loose. None to the extent that they were causing heating.

I have not checked the inverter, due to the difficulty of getting to the connectors. Now, I guess I'll force myself.

Checked my inverter wiring today and found one partially loose ground wire, on the Xantrex side of the connector. All of the WRV connections were tight.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Wanted to hook up 15a household outlet to just get lights and run a vacume cleaner, it kept blowing the GFI in the house. I have checked the transfer switch, etc, but, now I am going to check to see if possibly the insulation was not cut back enough and not getting a good connection. It used to work at home, now it wont at all. I still have the genset fix to do and so hopefully I can do those after work. Will keep everyone posted on what I find. I will also inspect eh Xantrex connections as well.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Update - Checked the transfer switch again, to ensure that none of the wires in there had insulation over the part that should have a solid connection with its attachment point. Low and behold, one of the ground wires was so loose I could pull it out. This is the one that has the allen head nut holding it in, and I'm sure I was going to get the allen wrench and check it when I was into this thing before, but must have forgotten. I tightened each and every one of those wires again to make sure they were all tight.

I then took the face plate off the RS2000 inverter charger, and found a couple of wires in their which were loose.

Then went into the Hydraulic Pump area, and checked the fuse block - all every one of those wires is #14, and when initially installed the installer used a ring terminal for #12-10 wire. Every one of those was loose; some were cut at least two inches back from where the terminal was installed. I changed to #14 Ring terminals for every one of those connections doing them one at a time. I don't know if this will fix my front air bag issue, but for sure if that was the issue, it's not now. I will play with this tomorrow while waiting for the HH warranty person.

I sincerely hope Ron Doyle never shows up at one of the rallies, because his dad struggled to bring WRV to life, and when he took over he ran it into the ground, the worst workmanship-at least as far as the electrical goes-I have ever seen. I knew some high school kids (long time ago) who knew more about electrical connections than the people who made this coach.

Every time I open a compartment, the first thing I do is look at the electrical stuff, and I always find something not tight, the wrong terminal, or some-such.

I still have not done the Generator; maybe I can do it tomorrow evening, and take the BBT (Big Brown Turd) back to storage.

I think now with the ground fixed, I can again plug it into the house. And I still need to get back upon the roof and get the name of that burned out Solar panel and see if I can get it replaced under some kind of warranty.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:06 AM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Glad you found the problem and hope you get that panel repaired or replaced as well. Good luck.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #7

Location: Summer Rowlett TX (Why?)/Winter Palm Springs CA Two Springs RV Resort http://www.twospringsrv.com/
Monty, as long as you are looking for loose wires, pop the cover off the HydroHot control panel and check all the connections. I have found loose connections there.
Basil Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:17 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Well for the HH, the Stir Pump is not getting ground, the board is fried. The tech that diagnosed it, has to order the board, so hopefully sometime next week for that. Purchased a filter for the HH, so I will have the maintenance done on it, just to be sure it's ok. Front Air Bags still do not dump, but the generator is more important, so that is what I am going to do this evening. Once that is done, I will investigate the front bags. The tech however said I need to figure out if the solenoid is getting power, so I need to find the ones for the front bags. Things seem to finally be coming together, I will know more tonight about the Genset, and then plug it in to see if cured the popping of the breaker in the house. I don't know what that thing draws, when nothing is powered on, my guess is it's at or close to 15 amps, and I wonder if the solor panel being fried would backfeed and cause it to pop that breaker, should not because it's 12V versus 120V. Electrical minded folks do you know??
Thank you everyone for all the tips and tricks so far. The tech did say, that Country Coach, when national owned them are not made well, and since the Company was repurchased by the original owner, he has not worked on one. So maybe they turned around quality control.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:35 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Electrical connections in the Genset are now repaired. Like many others, when I opened up the junction box, and moved the wires out to check then, all the wire nuts fell off - but did not look burned or pitted, so it was just starting to become a problem. I trimmed back the insulation, put new wire nuts on those connections, twisted them on good and tight, then added some Scotch 23 Vulcanizing electrical tape over the insulation and then over the wire nut to ensure they won't move or get loose again. You stretch this stuff out a little, and it is almost like liquid rubber when you are completed. Don't know why, but the Genset seemed to fire up quicker, and accepted the coach electrical load quicker which could have been the ground repair, or this repair, but it's definitely better than it was.

After the genset repair, and since I was very dirty, I got out my silicon spray and light machine oil and really cleaned up and lubricated the genset slide mechanism. There are at least 5 rollers on each side which were all dry and needed attention. In addition, I silicone lubed the track those rollers glide upon to make that easier; it now retracts without all that shaking it was doing before

Then I took out my lube gun, and lubed up as many of the fittings in the front end as I could get too. Some needed the wheel turned, and those will be at a later date. The one (each side) on the bottom of the steering knuckle, needs to be replaced with a 45 degree fitting, so I can get to it. Tried to find the lube points in the rear end, but could not get under the coach to see anything. I will have to build some ramps and then back up, to get it high enough to crawl under it and do those. Some 2X12's with a layer of 1/4" or 3/8" plywood to keep them from splitting out will suffice.

After cleaning up, I tested the genset, by trying the entertainment systems and AC's. The Kingdome picked up the satellite as well, so I know that works (dealer fixed it was wired incorrectly-no charge). My over the air antenna does not seem to work correctly, which may be an A-B Switch issue (me not knowing which way to switch them) but it receives digital TV (tuner built in). Also the cooling fans are real loud, and one fan was never wired in, so those are some little things I need to fix. I am going to order two of those quiet fans to see if that makes a difference with that noise.

Tomorrow it goes back to storage, until the HH board comes in. Then maybe we can use it.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:29 AM   #10

Don't forget to grease the U-Joints

Jim
06 Apex
Old 07-10-2008, 05:39 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
One important thing that I was waiting to check out before I posted, Taking the ground off of the house batteries will not cut power to the inverter on, at least, an 07. The inverter is suppose to be connected directly to the house battery bank. It is on the hot side, going through a LARGE fuse. The ground is connected somewhere under the coach. Since I had the ground off of the house bank, I thought I was getting a feed back through the "battery banks relay", I turned off the chassis batteries and was still getting power to the inverter until I pulled the inverter hot lead at the battery compartment. When I have time to investigate this, I will post how it is wired. For now, if you need to cut the power to the inverter, pull the hot lead.

Monty,

How were you hooked up to the 15 amp circuit, through store bought adapters? Is the GFI that is tripping, one in the wall receptacle or is it the circuit breaker. A GFI alone will only trip on a ground fault. A 15 amp breaker could trip, by just the normal load, if the charger comes on at full power along with other misc. loads. There is a way to set the inverters "power share" that will cut down the amount of amps that the charger will pull when plugged into a circuit with reduced amps available. If your solar is back feeding, then it will only draw down the batteries. Although this would cause the charger to start up with max amps.

Which TV do you have, I forget? Some of the TV's have different inputs for analog and digital. My first TV was a Hyundai, with separate inputs and due to the factory wiring, could not receive analog off of the OTA antenna. If you are getting digital stations, then the OTA antenna must be working.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:58 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Dale, it's always nice to read your posts, you are the RV teckie.

Let's see, from the breaker panel, there is a central GFI which controls all the outlets in the garage, it being the master of a total of 5 (one outside outlet), and on top of that, I have APC surge protectors plugged into 2 of the 4 outlets. I have not tested the coach again because we took it back to storage, but I will have to get it back here soon because we are headed over to the Oregon Coast for a week later this month. I will check it then and see what happens.

I found out about the inverter staying on, when I went to do the transfer switch the first time, and it was running. You can just turn it off, and then switch off the house/chassis batteries, but it's still capable of coming on if you touch the wrong button. A dedicated breaker/switch might be a good idea so you know for sure it's off, and although, I don't think it's possible, something might trigger it to come on, and run, even with stuff switched off.

We have a Dell 32" LCD Widescreen TV. And since everything is going digital next year, OTA TV is not such a big deal for me. I am glad however the Kingdome now works. Will wait until next year for signing up for Satellite service. The dell works great, now it's how long will it stay together with all the bouncing we do when underway.

Is there a place to order a control board for the Hydro Hot, so I have a spare, aside from the OEM. I want hot water for our trip, and the Co., that is doing the warranty work, has to get it from them. I have not been informed of the status, cold showers are not something I enjoy. The little lady won't stand for that as you know. I will call them tomorrow, but time is running out for our trip. I hate to spend the money, but, it looks simple to put in. All the connections are numbered, as well as the wires going into it.

Do you know of any Bike Racks, which go into the receiver hitch, which postively hold the bike at the wheels and the upper portion. Yakima makes one, but not rated for RV, and won't fit our MH's because the rear of the coach is not tapered. I don't have the ladder on it, so my ladder rack won't work, and it's up for sale. Will check some of the sponsors here on the forums.

Are the camping world brand of windshield wiper covers a good quality brand? If you have a suggestion, please provide it.

Have a great summer, totally enjoy all the technical stuff you put out here, don't always under stand it, but like reading it anyway. I do hope you get to use the coach some so you are not working on it all the time. Hopefully our paths will cross down the road. Pet the cat for me, as she looked like she/he was really enjoying the lake view earlier this year.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:00 AM   #13

Monty & Janet,

For bike racks, check out SARIS. They make the best quality and easiest to use racks available that appear to fit your requirements.

Saris Bike Racks

I think the racks that fit your requirements say, "Never contacts the bike frame..."
Dale777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:01 AM   #14

Monty & Janet,

Check out DraftMaster bike racks. I have one and it can carry a tandem plus two singles.

Milo
sdcyclist
2006 36FDDS