Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #1

Because I spend so much time in the Northwest, I want to change my Kingdome to another satellite dish. Every morning when the dew is heavy or there are thick clouds, I loose my signal. My concern is the potential wind noise created by an exposed dish. Does anyone have some thoughts regarding my concerns? I have visited with owners of other brands and it has not been an issue. I seem to recall that there is a frontal issue with Alpines that may cause the wind noise problem.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2006, 04:16 PM   #2

Because I spend so much time in the Northwest, I want to change my Kingdome to another satellite dish. Every morning when the dew is heavy or there are thick clouds, I loose my signal. My concern is the potential wind noise created by an exposed dish. Does anyone have some thoughts regarding my concerns? I have visited with owners of other brands and it has not been an issue. I seem to recall that there is a frontal issue with Alpines that may cause the wind noise problem.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:39 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Have you tried this??

It's a LOT cheaper than replacing your dish...
HERE

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:58 PM   #4

That was my first try. I have worked with Kingdome techs to see if I have more of a problem. I receive (at best) a 62% signal. When using the remote, I get an 90+% signal. The engineer at Alpine said that I can not expect to receive better than a 60% signal from Kingdome. As I move south in the winter, the less the problem. One other motive is that I want to take advantage of the HD equipment installed in the coach and the Kingdome provided is not capable of receiving HD (at least with DirecTV).
Old 09-24-2006, 05:32 PM   #5

I replaced my Kingdome with a MotoSat MHDTV unit. Works great and no problem with wind noise. I would recommend locating the unit behind the front AC unit. The Alpine will beat a dish to death if mounted up front. Daddy Louie actually did a test using a video camera that validated the extreme environment up front on the roof of his first Alpine Coach. My Kingdome was quite noisy on rough roads (rattling sound).
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:38 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
On the new Limited SE, a new option is "Satellite Dish, In-Motion w/HDTV Converter". LINK

Since DirecTV HD requires 3 LNBs, I wonder if your dome/dish could be upgraded; which would then require the HD converter of course.

Norm
Old 09-24-2006, 05:39 PM   #7

Rebels Beach, I also have the King Dome and I purchased the can of spray and it did correct my problem. The question I have is how long does it last. They recommend putting two coats on, which I did. This is a 6 oz. can that costs $ 25.00. They indicate that you can spray it at least 3 times with this 6 oz. can. I have professional painters that work for me and one of them sprayed it for me. They are used to not wasting any coatings. The odds of getting one more coat is slim. Have you found that to be the case?
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:40 PM   #8

Wayne, who & what is a daddy Louie????
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 05:47 PM   #9

Ted, I used the 1 time, Dome Magic.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:52 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lundy:
One other motive is that I want to take advantage of the HD equipment installed in the coach and the Kingdome provided is not capable of receiving HD (at least with DirecTV). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lundy, I'm not sure where you're getting your information,but with a simple Google of King Controls I found the HD Direct TV adapter that King Controls sells....

HERE IS THE LINK
Old 09-24-2006, 05:55 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Ted, I've not needed to use the can again,but one could spend quite a few $25 before they spend the amount of money needed to buy a new dome/dish...

My "needs" are for the in motion capability so the MD does me no good...Momma likes her TV!
Old 09-24-2006, 06:20 PM   #12

I guess the real problem I have with Kingdome is the fact that I have had such a problem obtaining a signal in less than ideal weather conditions. Unless I can get a stronger signal, I am really not too interested in upgrades. Receiving a good signal, in most situations, is more important to me than a HD upgrades. I really admit that frustration has set in, because I have used almost all of my cell phone minutes this month with calls to Kindome Controls techs and running tests for them and getting information from WRV.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:05 AM   #13

Ted III,
Daddy Louie is Louis Birch's handle on this forum, he occasionally post here. He is also an ACA member.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:52 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Lundy: I diverted from your original question relating to dew and low clouds and got off on the HD tangent. As many of my full-time Alpine days (once I get it) will be near Mist Oregon (the name is rather telling isn't it ), I too will be dealing with dew, drizzle, and occasional rain

Since it is unlikely DirecTV will ever spot a satellite nearer our latitude, global warming will not help much in the short term, and the Kingdome itself is like covering a satellite dish with a plastic bag, a roof-mounted open dish seems like the only practical solution in the rainy NW. Even then you may need to keep a ladder and raincoat handy in order to wipe off the LNB face in heavy rain.

Norm