Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-23-2006, 08:11 PM   #1

Looking for anyone who carries a heavy motorcycle on the back of their rig. Concerned about how our 03 - 36footer, will handle with all that weight back there. Our total weight will probably be between 1000/1100 lbs.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2006, 08:11 PM   #2

Looking for anyone who carries a heavy motorcycle on the back of their rig. Concerned about how our 03 - 36footer, will handle with all that weight back there. Our total weight will probably be between 1000/1100 lbs.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:19 AM   #3

We carry ~1000lbs (Honda ST1300 plus 250lb carrier) and while I can detect a little difference, it does not impair handling.

There's a fulcrum calculation you can run to determine how much the front end is "un-weighted". I can dig it up if you'd like.

On your 36', there should be even less impact than on my 34'.

BTW, I'd make sure you have the same as my 04; ClassIV hitch rated for 10,000lbs.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:18 PM   #4

Jim, thxs for reply. I'm interested in the fulcrum calculations, if its not too much trouble. Also what type of M/C rack you have., or could recommend. FYI my Email is brentandmoni@aol.com. Thxs again, Brent
Old 04-24-2006, 03:30 PM   #5

Brent,
To determine the "lift" on the front wheels as a result of adding weight to the hitch, take the distance from the center of the rear wheel axle to the hitch (center of gravity of the motorcycle and carrier)divided by the wheelbase and multiply by the weight of the motorcycle and carrier. So, for a 36' coach with 252" wheelbase, and approximately 145 inches to the CG of motorcycle & carrier from the rear axle, with a motorcycle and carrier weight of 1000 lb you would have 145/252 * 1000 = ~575 lb lift on the front axle.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #6

Brent,
Now with the lift on the front axle determined, if you were standing on a set of scales and see that you weigh 200 lb and Monica comes over and lifts you with a force of 50 lb, your scales would read 150 right? Right. Does that mean that 1000 lb added to the hitch and 575 lb lift on the front axle means your coach is only seeing an additional 1000 lb added to hitch - 575 lb lift on front axle = 425 lbs??????
Old 04-24-2006, 05:19 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go with an enclosed trailer, your motorcycle will love you for it. You'll also like the added security and not having to clean your bike so often.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:10 PM   #8

Steve-
I tried your problems, but only got the first answer.
When I called Monica over it didn't matter how much force she used to lift me, the scale always showed 350- her weight plus mine.
Then we got off the scale, and I backed my coach onto it. But I couldn't read the scale under the tires, and I'm not sure now but the scale might need a new battery.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:36 PM   #9

Brent,

If you do a Yahoo search, you'll turn up a few options for carriers. Some have hydraulic or electric lifts. The ones I checked out require welding or bolting additonal braces to the frame and were pretty heavy (~500lbs).

I chose a simpler/lighter carrier with a hydraulic jack:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Carrier-Joey-...dZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I'm pretty happy with it, but:
--you have to jack it up, around 70 pumps I think.
--it makes loading wider bikes more difficult, especially cruisers with wide handlebars.
--it needs the optional ramp and with one person loading, needs the bike to be under power while standing/walking from the side to get up the ramp. This can be precarious and if you're not comfortable moving a bike this way, I suggest another carrier.
--the carrier tray is a little wide and I thought it wise to add a locking wheel chock, available at Kendon Industries in Anaheim.
--it's shipped on a pallet, generally to a truck depot, requiring help and a pick-up truck, some minor assembly and touch-up paint.
--it doesn't obscure the coach's tailights and includes its own lights, but I needed to add a license plate holder, since it obscured the coachs plate mount.

Despite all that, I like it. It's easy to disconnect and has wheels to roll it away. It appears very well built. The bike rides high off the ground and doesn't get too dirty. I can load and unload single-handed. The bike can viewed by the rear camera. And, I'm not subjected to a 55mph speed limit

Hope that helps.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:28 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Steve, is that fuzzy math?
Old 04-25-2006, 06:22 AM   #11

I think the ultimate motorcycle carrier is the "Hydralift-USA". But standby for a $4,000 quote for the carrier and installation. I have a strong simple one that does require help loading and unloading my Hayabusa, but when I'm leaving home for four months, only loading/unloading twice over that period, and the $350 price tag, it made sense for me.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:57 AM   #12

Thxs guys for the input. Using a rack like the Hydralift, which I've done some reasearch on, and adding my Harley with your calculations, it removes about 630 lbs from the front end.It seems to me that weight has to go somewhere and would now make that 1100 lbs even heavier. Trailer wont work for us Easyrider, but thxs. I guess it all comes down to how much we want to take our scooters with us. Brent
Old 05-03-2006, 08:08 PM   #13

Brent and Monica: Welcome to iRV2 and the Alpine Family!
Glad to have you aboard!