Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #1

Dale:

Am in the process of changing out our Kingdome for a MotoSat as per your experiences. Were you able to use the latest Direct TV Receiver with DVR. I know at home it must be hooked to a telephone line. Is there a way around it for the motor home.

btw....Joel and I truly appreciate your expertise and your willingness to share on IRV2. Thanks galore!

Plus Noel (Bischon Frise)
Joel & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #2

Dale:

Am in the process of changing out our Kingdome for a MotoSat as per your experiences. Were you able to use the latest Direct TV Receiver with DVR. I know at home it must be hooked to a telephone line. Is there a way around it for the motor home.

btw....Joel and I truly appreciate your expertise and your willingness to share on IRV2. Thanks galore!

Plus Noel (Bischon Frise)
Joel & Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:41 AM   #3

I put a now obsolete Direct TV Tivo in my coach, and it nags me to make the phone call, but that is it. It just does not get the latest software updates, which is a minor problem since the daylight savings time dates changed. The next time I do any work in the cabinet I will remove it and connect it to the phone line at home temporarily and get the software update.

I recently put a standard definition Direct TV DVR, model R15, in a friend's coach, and it did not need the phone line either. As we were setting it up, it said it was receiving a software update over the satellite.

But I don't have any insight on the high def DVR that Direct TV is leasing now. If you are going HD you need somebody else with that info.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Only the Tivo required a phone line for activation, but not for use after that.

None of the current DirecTV receivers or DVR's require a phone line, standard def or HD.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #5

If you are having an R-15/R-16 installed then there is no need at all for a phone line. Assuming you are installing one of the HD receivers along with the MotoSAT HD antenna then there is no concern at all as all of these will work without ever having been connected to a phone line.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #6

I believe the exception is if you want NFL Sunday Ticket. That could have changed also.

05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote