Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2006, 12:12 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Well shoot Wayne. I was going to let Audrey and John (assuming there really is a John) sweat it out until say.. North Powder, then tell her the truth. That the Alpine handles Cabbage Hill better'n a greased possum sliding down a fire pole-- or whatever they like to say in Texas. Now they won't even bother to turn off the cruise. But just wait until they look over the edge..

Norm
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2006, 12:40 PM   #16

Save sum of that greased possum fur me
Old 07-07-2006, 02:21 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Audrey,

We are in Montana and came over the continental divide outside of Butte. Let the tranmission do the shifting as needed on the way up, and once Dave tapped the brakes, the 6 miles of 6% downgrade went very smoothly - the exhaust brake kicked in like advertised and we came down with very little use of the service brake. Now, getting my finger impressions out of the handle next to the co-pilot's seat may be another matter.

Our appointment is for August 1st, hope to see you when we get in. I was figuring on doing some winery hoping while they are working on the coach.
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #18

Audrey, I drive with the Jake brake on all the time switching between low & high as needed. I have not come down the mountains you are encountering but as well as the Jake brake works you will find that you will use your conventional brakes very little. The Jake brake is very efficient. As I said I have it on constantly as it costs nothing to use and saves on the regular brakes at all times. As Mike mentioned it does not work with the cruise control so when you hit the top of the mountain tap the brake & kick off the cruise control.
Ted III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 06:13 PM   #19

Yeah Barb - the local wineries must be worth a visit! Depends on how much "supervision" is required at the factory. We've got some hard to find water leaks to track down.

Audrey
Old 07-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
The new Alpines have a Jake? The kind that goes BR br br br br br brbr br brbrbrbr? Don't some have a retarder? Our exhaust brake works fine, but the BR br br brb rbrb brbr brbrbrbrb would be neat. Maybe keep the deer off the road too!

I haven't found a hill too steep yet. I select the gear. I just start off the top slower if I'm unfamiliar, I figure I can always step on the throttle.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:05 AM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom and Patty:
The new Alpines have a Jake? The kind that goes BR br br br br br brbr br brbrbrbr? Don't some have a retarder? Our exhaust brake works fine, but the BR br br brb rbrb brbr brbrbrbrb would be neat. Maybe keep the deer off the road too! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
LOL! It's a Jacobs 2 Stage Compression Brake (aka a "Jake" brake), but it's silent! (thank goodness). I laugh when I drive through towns that say you can't use it - because they would never know!

I think Alpine Limited coaches have come with this for several years now.

Audrey
Old 07-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #22

The ISC engines have a PacBrake (engine exhaust restrictor type, in line w/the exhaust), while the ISLs have an engine compression brake that lives under the valve cover on top of the engine and closes the valves, and is activated by a low/off/high rocker switch on the dash. Both work well in my experience. The primary complaint w/the PacBrake centers around maintenance. Apparently PacBrake now has an authorized high temp lubricant to keep the PB mobile (w/lack of periodic cleaning/lube they freeze up).
Old 07-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #23

Alpine Owners Club
It's the unmuffled exhaust brake that is prohibited because it not only goes BR br br br br br brbr br brbrbrbr but sometimes it goes BBBRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAK!!!!!

Audrey and... what's his name: Been researching Alpine braking systems. First stage is the compression brake that just goes .........., then there is the Allison retarder built into the transmission. If the first two fail, there is a trap door under the co-pilot seat so he/she can drag their feet, then there is a button on the dash labeled BA which deploys a boat anchor out the rear. If all those fail, you push on the brake pedal which deploys a parachute and gently brings your rig to a halt. Really, it all pretty simple except for the PacBrake.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:03 PM   #24

Alpine Owners Club
I have a little bottle of PB lube. My PB was sticking at very low speeds every now and then. It did the trick, and lubing the pivot points was a piece of cake.

It is lifting the bed platform with the 14" foam mattress from Costco that is work . I wouldn't let Patty leave while my head was hanging over the side of the engine housing. You should have seen those wimpy steel rod supports bend . I now have a high tech 2x4 for additional support. We have lock downs on our bed platform. I assume to keep out burglers. Let me tell you, NO ONE is coming up through the engine compartment unless he is superman. I'm going to have to get a Select Comfort bed when I'm older...like..next year!

Speaking of stopping the coach. I have this re-occuring dream of us backing into a RV site and not being able to stop the MH. Standing on the brake with all my might headed for a cliff . Then I wake up .
Old 07-11-2006, 01:43 AM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oregon Coyote:
It's the unmuffled exhaust brake that is prohibited because it not only goes BR br br br br br brbr br brbrbrbr but sometimes it goes BBBRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAK!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, LOL! I got that it was the noise that was in fact prohibited.

Still, I chuckle whenever I see that "No Engine Braking" sign. What do they want us to do - coast? LOL! Especially today on the long curvy descent into Albuquerque. Lots of "No Engine Braking" signs. Hmmmm - I guess they'd rather the trucks burn up their brakes? Oh never mind as long as it doesn't disturb the neighborhood built right against the interstate.

Well - I suppose there is really no excuse inadequate mufflers.

BTW - didn't even need the Jake brake on the descent into Albuquerque.

Audrey
Old 07-22-2006, 05:16 AM   #26

Yesterday was the first day doing serious climb. US 6 from Green River to Provo Utah. Soldier Pass at 7400 feet. Ascent from 5000 feet. Descent to same.

Engine (coolant) temp! That started moving up fast. At first I shifted down to 5th, and drove around 55 mph then 50 mph (1500 rpm). When it started getting close to 210 degrees I shifted down to 4th and did the final climb at 45-50 mph. RPMs higher (1800+?). Engine temp got up to 214 then backed off a couple of degrees for the duration of the climb. Our VMS display goes yellow when the coolant temp reaches 210 degrees.

So - don't you all manage your engine temp on climbs? That seemed to be the main reason to down shift and slow down. I mean the engine would have blasted up in a high gear if I had forced it, but it would have really gotten hot!!!

Descent was a breeze! Low-stage jake brake. I think I only used the service brakes 3 times.

Lovely road by the way. Lots of long passing lanes. Great road surface. Lovely scenery. Definitely winding, but not so tight that they post any curve speed lower than 45mph.

Audrey
Old 07-22-2006, 07:23 AM   #27

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Audrey:

I had the same problem until someone clued me into how to drive a diesel. I was told that a diesel will work until it dies. I was told that the higher the RPM when climbing the better water pump turns faster and the engine does not lug. I was also told that if engine RPM gets to 1600 or below when climbing manually down shift to the next lower gear, and keep the RPM around 2000+. Next I was told that if the engine temp continues to increase to cut back on the throttle and if necessary down shift to a lower gear.

Since I have following the advise I was given the only time my eng temp reached 210? the outside temp was about 110?+ and I backed off even more which lowered the engine temp.

I hope this information helps.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:35 AM   #28

The Silverleaf Seminar book says it's OK to run the engine in the 210 to 215 range when climbing on a hot day:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thus the real goal of heat management is not to run cool - that simply is not a realistic option when you are climbing a hill on a hot day......I believe in starting the process when I see the temperature reach about 205 degrees. My goal is to stabilize the temperature in the 210-215 degree range, which leaves me with at least a ten degree cushion should the engine need it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So, we were in an OK range (and it was an &gt;100 degree day).

But yes, I'll make sure to keep the RPMs higher and run a little cooler.

Audrey