Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2007, 03:40 AM   #1

I have an old Riverside mud flap that I transferred from my 2001 coach to the new 2005. It has now developed a large tear below the left side mounting points. Thought I would get a new one from Riverside but they're out of business. WRV's price is ridiculous. SO I figured I would get an UltraGuard from CW.
Then the basic question came to mind - are these things really worth it? I see coaches with and without them. Is there any real reason to have one except to state again what the name of the coach is?
Would appreciate any thoughts and comments.
Thanks and Happy 4th!

David
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2007, 03:40 AM   #2

I have an old Riverside mud flap that I transferred from my 2001 coach to the new 2005. It has now developed a large tear below the left side mounting points. Thought I would get a new one from Riverside but they're out of business. WRV's price is ridiculous. SO I figured I would get an UltraGuard from CW.
Then the basic question came to mind - are these things really worth it? I see coaches with and without them. Is there any real reason to have one except to state again what the name of the coach is?
Would appreciate any thoughts and comments.
Thanks and Happy 4th!

David
Old 07-04-2007, 07:06 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
David,

I had a similar problem. The eyes on the right side pulled through. The fix was to have the top 2 to 3 inches of the mudflap removed, attach a metal bar with eyes in it to the flap (and put holes in the flap where the eyes were), then reattach the flap to the coach. The fix was considerably less than a new flap and still has the Alpine Coach logo.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:55 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I will not install one on mine!
On out trip to Alaska last year on some graveled roads we encountered two diesel pusher coaches with side mounted radiators (same configuration as the Alpine). Each coach had a hole in there radiator caused by gravel entering the fan side of the radiator.

It appears the full mud flap can bounce gravel and rocks from the road surface towards the motor and some will make it inside the radiator housing between the fan blades. Booth coaches had many small nicks in the plastic fan blade and several pieces of gravel inside the fan housing (between the fan and radiator). I would assume some of this gravel would hit the spinning fan at just the correct angle to propel it toward the radiator at speed.

You should inspect your fan and housing. Motor off there should be no nicks or chips in the plastic fan. There is just enough room to stick your arm between the fan blades and feel for any rocks or gravel on the entire bottom of the pan. Our coach is clean with no debris or nicks

The full mud flaps work good in the rain but not on gravel.
Gary Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:07 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
If you're interested in a quality rear mud flap, contact WRV service and ask about the one they have on display. They have some on consignment from John Schroeder that are similar to the Riverside ones but don't have any bolt holes; the WRV logo is laser cut and mounted to the heavy anti sail plate with studs welded to the back side. I don't know what they're asking for them, but if you can't make a reasonable deal, I can put you in touch with John (moved to Oregon). They also have his smaller Flaps with WRV logos for individual wheels - stainless etc.

Vagabondman
VAGABONDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:42 AM   #6

I have heard comments about the full flaps disrupting air flow and perhaps restricting the escape of hot air from under the Coach.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #7

Been running a full mudflap accross the motorhome since new (03 40fdts). Never had a problem with ovrheating. Want a good mudflap system cheap? Buy two 24 X 36 inch truck mud flaps from your local truck parts distributor. It will set you back all of $10.00 a pair. Then buy two pieces of 2 inch by 8 foot 1/8th inch steel angle iron. Sandwich the two mudflaps between the two pieces of angle iron by drilling a series of holes and bolting the two together. weld two small metal tabs to the angle iron. and drill mounting holes and mount it to the underframe of the Alpine. Total cost $35 including the welding. Of course you wont be advertising WRV on the your mudflaps.............