Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2015, 12:51 PM   #1

Muffler replacement

Have the alpine 40 with cummins ISL 400 any one know what muffler it uses for cross reference?
kubitvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2015, 09:29 AM   #2

I replaced the damaged (don't ask) exhaust system on my RV earlier this year and upgraded it from a 4" to 5". I also installed the Aero 5" muffler as many others have to finish it off;
Amazon.com: Aero Exhaust AT5050XL Diesel Muffler: Automotive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewExhaust.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	110413  
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubitvf View Post
Have the alpine 40 with cummins ISL 400 any one know what muffler it uses for cross reference?
Check your exhaust pipe over carefully. I found the elbow portion was really thin. Easy to cut the flange off and have a new elbow welded on. Would be shame to have rotten pipe show up after putting on new muffler.

Beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #4

I suggest the Aero muffler as above. I also suggest to take it to a muffler shop, not Cummins, Freightliner, etc. as all they want to do is OEM parts swaps. A real muffler guy won't have any problem getting you fixed up.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:13 PM   #5

Call me "old-school" but I think the OEM muffler used on Alpines is part of the overall experience that makes our coaches so desireable. The sound of an Alpine is truely unique to the brand--you know its an Alpine from a mile away--ok, maybe a half mile. I am sorry, but the sound of the Aero muffler does nothing for me......IMHO
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:30 AM   #6

Thanks everyone I just replaced with a Donaldson oem. Like to do my own work. Had it replace in under an hour. Luckily straps where still good there a bit hard to find.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
All - Have had exhaust leak for about a year off and on. After the wreck, the shop installed new muffler, with a flexible pipe which is attached to the exhaust system from the engine. This flexible pipe has broken again, (Cummings put a band clamp on it which cured the issue until this trip (what else is new, every trip something breaks), which caused the flexible pipe to again break just pas the band clamp. I don't know that much about the exhaust system for what I need to get as far as parts go, does anyone have a diagram or a parts list. Was the flexible pipe part of the OEM system, since most of all the lower part was replaced when the lady hit us.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #8

IMHO--those "flexible" pipes tend to get pretty brittle once they age and rust in place--had to put a band clamp on mine 2003 about 6-7 years ago [at Camp WRV no less] but have had no problems since. If the minimum amount of flex pipe was used after the accident to reconnect the muffler, its possible its too short and the normal rock of the engine in its mounts is breaking the pipe, once it rusts "in-place"??????????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:52 PM   #9

Does any one happen to know the part # of the Donaldson replacement? Mine blew apart on my way to Yuma & I'm back in CO! I was hoping to have a direct replacement for when I go back down in a few weeks!

Thanks
Troy
Old 12-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #10

The Fleetguard number is 86542 it will cross over to a Donaldson number M120566 got it for 180.00 on eBay.
Old 12-04-2015, 06:03 AM   #11

thank you for the info I'll look it up, hopefully it's the same style that's on my 350hp!
thanks again
Troy

Tags
ace, replace, replacement